Search

BA Holidays and delayed passport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways - Gold member
BA Holidays and delayed passport

Good morning all

My family and I were looking forward to finally getting some quality holidays this summer with the (temporary?) relaxation of COVID barriers. We were planning on Guernsey (one week today) and Mexico at the start of August - the latter with BA Holidays and the former flying out with Aurigny.

The very large fly in the ointment is that we still have not received a new passport for our eldest son back - despite sending off and being received in April, and having chased up (to the extent possible given they don't want to be contacted) with the passport office.

For the BA holidays booking there is no longer the ability to request a voucher as this is too close to the departure date. However, has anyone in a similar position received any flexibility around being provided with a voucher given circumstances were largely out of our control? I know the short answer is "try asking" but just trying to understand if there are any precedent and chances of success,

For the Guernsey trip I understand that a passport isn't formally required (travelling from UK) but they could potentially ask for some photo ID (the best we can offer is a council issued bus pass). What are the odds of being asked for this?

Thanks for any inputs you can provide.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by JoshE
Good morning all

My family and I were looking forward to finally getting some quality holidays this summer with the (temporary?) relaxation of COVID barriers. We were planning on Guernsey (one week today) and Mexico at the start of August - the latter with BA Holidays and the former flying out with Aurigny.

The very large fly in the ointment is that we still have not received a new passport for our eldest son back - despite sending off and being received in April, and having chased up (to the extent possible given they don't want to be contacted) with the passport office.

For the BA holidays booking there is no longer the ability to request a voucher as this is too close to the departure date. However, has anyone in a similar position received any flexibility around being provided with a voucher given circumstances were largely out of our control? I know the short answer is "try asking" but just trying to understand if there are any precedent and chances of success,

For the Guernsey trip I understand that a passport isn't formally required (travelling from UK) but they could potentially ask for some photo ID (the best we can offer is a council issued bus pass). What are the odds of being asked for this?

Thanks for any inputs you can provide.
Get onto your local MPs office. If theyre half decent, they will help get it resolved for you.
Robert279 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I can’t help with your Aurigny flights, but you may be in luck with your BA Holiday reservation if you do need to change it. BAH has temporarily updated its policy to provide flexibility including requesting a voucher or to change the dates of travel. Hopefully the passport will arrive on time.

Full details here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...=1657739368259
krispy84 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Fot Guernsey, you really don't need to worry, I'm assuming he is under 16 (given that in the past I've typed reams of screed in a previous post, where it turned out that said child was 32 years old). By all means get that bus pass, ready, a school or library card, and a birth certificate. If he is named on that certificate and at least one parent is on the certificate then there is a clear link to someone else, an adult, with ID. The chances of any of this being needed will be well below 1%.

For Mexico. I don't see BAH being flexible beyond the unrelated policy mentioned by Tobias above. Have you Followed the Passport @HM_Passport on Twitter and then sent a Direct Message giving the details? Realistically you may want to consider buying a cheap Ryannair flight to mainland Europe, which you may not use, to leverage the 7 day or Premium service. Note also the Twitter bot that checks when these in person slots are opened up. The suggestion to contact your MP is also a good one, all MPs offices are getting used to escalating passport issues.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
Originally Posted by Mater
Get onto your local MPs office. If theyre half decent, they will help get it resolved for you.
Anyone know any half decent MPs .

I walk past the Victoria passport office most days, and the crowd of stressed families outside gets bigger every day. Should be such a simple process...
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:22 am

Do you know where your passport application is ? Try emailing [email protected]

Where xxx is the office - e.g. Durham

Within 2 weeks of travel .

Also try calling 03001231973 you need to speak to the progress team

If all else fails you can go to a passport office and from what I've read if you've been waiting 10+ weeks and you are travelling they will manage to help you. I did read that London is less helpful about this

I had a similar stress but emailed and called and chased and it went to print in a couple of days. For you if possible I'd try have them change it to be collected
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Fot Guernsey, you really don't need to worry, I'm assuming he is under 16 (given that in the past I've typed reams of screed in a previous post, where it turned out that said child was 32 years old). By all means get that bus pass, ready, a school or library card, and a birth certificate. If he is named on that certificate and at least one parent is on the certificate then there is a clear link to someone else, an adult, with ID. The chances of any of this being needed will be well below 1%.

For Mexico. I don't see BAH being flexible beyond the unrelated policy mentioned by Tobias above. Have you Followed the Passport @HM_Passport on Twitter and then sent a Direct Message giving the details? Realistically you may want to consider buying a cheap Ryannair flight to mainland Europe, which you may not use, to leverage the 7 day or Premium service. Note also the Twitter bot that checks when these in person slots are opened up. The suggestion to contact your MP is also a good one, all MPs offices are getting used to escalating passport issues.
You can't reapply for a new premium slot without withdrawing in writing (which would take weeks for them to read!)

MPs do have a special line to call but they're swamped from what I read ! Worth a go though
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
People are cottoning onto the premium hack of buying a flight ticket as has HMPO who advised this trick won’t work and actually making the situation worse.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways - Gold member
Thanks to everyone for their inputs. We will chase up as much as possible until 8 days before departure then request voucher if no success by that point.

The number provided above unfortunately no longer seems to be manned and is automated.

Will update if we have any success but not optimistic.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:35 pm

I think it is option 8 then 3

also try expeditedservice at hmpo.gov.uk EscalatedService at hmpo.gov.uk
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: BAEC, Krisflyer
Well good luck with your MP!

I need a new passport. Got months left on it but, unfortunately it’s getting close to the 10 year limit for entry to Europe. I need a new passport for September. Have been trying to get a one week fast track appointment somewhere in England or Wales. Have checked website regularly for weeks for appointment without any luck. For example, there were appointments bookable this week for period 21 July to 1 August for every day in Belfast and for two days in Glasgow. If I were to book an appointment and a flight, what do you rate my chances of getting there to make the appointment?

i emailed my MP a week ago explaining the situation. Next to useless. But totally expected from a failed Transport Minister.

He said that the problem is that people did not renew during the pandemic and are now all trying to do so at once. His advice is to wait and apply when the summer holiday season is over!

Good luck!
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Charentedame
Well good luck with your MP!

I need a new passport. Got months left on it but, unfortunately it’s getting close to the 10 year limit for entry to Europe. I need a new passport for September. Have been trying to get a one week fast track appointment somewhere in England or Wales. Have checked website regularly for weeks for appointment without any luck. For example, there were appointments bookable this week for period 21 July to 1 August for every day in Belfast and for two days in Glasgow. If I were to book an appointment and a flight, what do you rate my chances of getting there to make the appointment?

i emailed my MP a week ago explaining the situation. Next to useless. But totally expected from a failed Transport Minister.

He said that the problem is that people did not renew during the pandemic and are now all trying to do so at once. His advice is to wait and apply when the summer holiday season is over!

Good luck!
Follow the UK Passport Appointment Alerts bot on twitter, if you go on as soon as they're released it is easy to get a slot. It's usually 8am for 1 day and 5pm for 1 week
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: BAEC, Krisflyer
Thanks so much for the advice. Will give it a try.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:49 pm

Hello, we’ve travelled with Aurigny for a few times. They've never asked for ID for our kids (aged 7 and 4). Assuming you are flying from the UK. Aurigny started flying to/ from France, Spain etc.

On their website, it says children under 16 who travel with an adult don’t need any ID.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Delta Platinum medallion
A quick data point here - I renewed my passport last/this week - from applying on line to receiving my new passport was just 7 days,

I would recommend using a photo-me booth to ensure your photo meets the passport office photo requirements and sending in the old passport using royal mail guaranteed next day delivery.

My offspring in the USA renewed their passport at the end of May online and it took five weeks from start to finish (delivery), but a good bit of that time was documents in transit.

Last edited by Keystone; Jul 14, 2022 at 2:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.