Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Amex insufficient limit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:27 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I had an Amex temporary increase in my credit limit about 7 years ago. I only needed it for a month to pay for a group's outing.
Amex never reduced that credit limit.
It has just come in handy again!
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Smiley90
What? No way. I've done this many times on a variety of cards and have actually even had this suggested to me BY the CC company in cases where a purchase would've brought me over the limit. Never had any issues with it.
A lot of financial institutions get jittery about this as there could be money laundering implications. The same with buying a fully flexible ticket, , paying it off, cancelling it, getting a refund and having the monies back on your card.

Whilst it might be physically possible (some 100% won’t permit it), it *will* start ringing alarm bells and potential internal and external audits which might mean yiur short haul flight from XXX to LHZr is cancelled and you need to book a hotel for your party of 4 and you ull out your AMEX and find you can’t use it.

Phone them up and ask them but be wary.

I was buying my car for cash, nothing extravagant but over my card limit. I asked if I could increase the limit and they said no just overpay. When I tried to do this I was told it wasn’t possible. I logged a formal complaint which they didn’t uphold advising thst I needed to adhere to rules of the card.

The financial ombudsman ordered they make an ex-gratis payment of the Avios or a sum of money sufficient to buy the Avios that would have been gained if the transaction had gone through and £250.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
A lot of financial institutions get jittery about this as there could be money laundering implications. The same with buying a fully flexible ticket, , paying it off, cancelling it, getting a refund and having the monies back on your card.

Whilst it might be physically possible (some 100% won’t permit it), it *will* start ringing alarm bells and potential internal and external audits which might mean yiur short haul flight from XXX to LHZr is cancelled and you need to book a hotel for your party of 4 and you ull out your AMEX and find you can’t use it.

Phone them up and ask them but be wary.

I was buying my car for cash, nothing extravagant but over my card limit. I asked if I could increase the limit and they said no just overpay. When I tried to do this I was told it wasn’t possible. I logged a formal complaint which they didn’t uphold advising thst I needed to adhere to rules of the card.

The financial ombudsman ordered they make an ex-gratis payment of the Avios or a sum of money sufficient to buy the Avios that would have been gained if the transaction had gone through and £250.
What are the money laundering implications? Either I pay the bank before or after the purchase, what's the difference?
OGG flyer likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Smiley90
What are the money laundering implications? Either I pay the bank before or after the purchase, what's the difference?
Assuming you’ve booked a £3k flight on your card fully flex and you’ve paid it in full

You cancel the flight and the money is refunded back to your card. You say to Amex I’d like my money back please. Amex say certainly Mr Smiley90 I’ll sort out a faster payment to you in todays run.

On your bank statement your ‘dodgy ‘ money is now no longer. If someone asks you for source of funds you can say oh I got it from Amex. Here you are on my bank statement and dodgy money is now layers, placed and integrated in society.

This is why refunds usually have to go back to original form of payment.

A well known airline in its early days nearly had its card processing capabilities removed as they weren’t particularly careful in who they allowed to book flights and the ensuing action taken. By covering a lot of the losses incurred by banks and a review of their processes meant they had their card processing capability continue.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by llary
What's the deal with people saying pre-payment is contrary to Amex T&Cs? I have been pre-paying credit and charge cards with Amex pretty much every month for 15 years. I like to keep my charge card balance low so I generally pre-pay any planned charges a few days beforehand. My balance is negative for half the month and Amex has certainly never complained about it, in fact their financial department specifically told me to do this when I kept hitting limits on my charge cards. I could only see it being an issue if you constantly overpay and request refunds of the balance or purchase things like gold or gift cards that could be used for money laundering?
At least in Germany you can get your account closed doing so as Amex does not have a banking license this is not allowed to hold your money. Simple as that. Some people still do it tho and for some it works.
llary and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Sparkyfletch
I just tried this out of curiosity -
I logged on to Amex / manage credit limit / raised it by £500 / didn't change my income / approved instantly / available in 15 minutes.

Worryingly a little too easy.........
Amex does a data analysis based on your previous spending and payments. At least in the Netherlands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.