Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

11 Jul : Cancelled flights departing - empty - from LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2022, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold | Hilton Honors Platinum

A strange one today: was booked on BA710 this morning (07:05 LHR - ZRH) in CE.

Cancelled at 00:44 via email. Managed to book the last CE seat on BA712 today (09:25 to ZRH - currently sat onboard, delayed).

Not sure if FR24 is correct, but it is showing that BA710 did in fact operate to ZRH, presumably empty.

So is this HAL staffing issues forcing operators to fly empty planes across Europe to protect inbound schedules? Seems crazy.

Old Jul 11, 2022, 2:51 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
My first thought would be maybe it was overbooked and they are telling you the flight was cancelled but actually just your seat on it was cancelled?
Old Jul 11, 2022, 2:53 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
It's showing as "cacelled" on the ZRH website, so definitely no passengers on board.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 2:56 am
Company Representative, BA Refunds

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
It's showing as "cacelled" on the ZRH website, so definitely no passengers on board.
There are numerous flights going empty ex-LHR in terms of customers, but may take delayed baggage. They then operate inbound as normal.
All to do with resource challenges at LHR.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold | Hilton Honors Platinum
Thanks for the info.

Sadly 712 has just gone tech (on the runway) and returning to stand now, with fire service attending due to an overheating brake (!!) so an empty BA flight is the only one heading to Zurich this morning.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 4:54 am

Flight cancelled but operated

Duplicate

Last edited by EGLK FLYER; Jul 11, 2022 at 5:30 am
Old Jul 11, 2022, 4:56 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EGLK FLYER
Hi

i was scheduled to depart on a redemption today on BA892 (LHR-SOF) which was cancelled in the early hours. I only found out when I arrived at LHR.

BA said that there was nothing they could do to get me there which is a pain as this ticket was a nested SOF-LHR-SOF within a 5 day BAH to SOF. This means that I’ll now not be able to return tomorrow as planned so will lose the double TPs etc.

Weirdly I’ve just looked on FR24 to see that the BA892 left LHR on time today and has landed in SOF already. A/C was G-TTNN.

Can anyone enlighten me as to potential reasons for it operating but without me on it!? Was it positioning -in which case why operate the outbound empty? Was I bumped as i was on a redemption? Is FR showing erroneous info?

Any thought? Thx

see here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...empty-lhr.html

basically still needed to operate the return but because of LHR issues, could not cope with passengers there for the departure
becks1 and SxMan like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 4:56 am

This was mentioned in another thread.

These cancellations are at the behest of HAL for they can't cope with passengers and their bags, but it doesn't mean that BA can't go and pick up passengers on the "other" side. So the ex-LHR passengers are unfortunately left behind, but the into-LHR passengers can still be served.
crystal_cad likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by VSLover
see here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...empty-lhr.html

basically still needed to operate the return but because of LHR issues, could not cope with passengers there for the departure

Great. Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 5:02 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EGLK FLYER
Great. Thanks for the info.
in normal times i know i'd be terribly confused why i was left behind!
Old Jul 11, 2022, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I’m seeing on twitter that HAL have mandated air,Ines cancel a number of flights from T3 today as they can’t cope. HAL has also mandated that the airlines can’t offer same day rebooking. I guess if they do it’s just like moving the deckchairs on the Titanic. Surely however this shouldn’t be allowed and the CAA/DOfT should be stepping in.
crystal_cad, wrp96, wylek and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 5:40 am

allegedly HAL has sent a message to European Stations and Airlines mandating them not to accept any hold baggage until the end of week nor accept any new bookings into LHR until the same time.

source was Ops staff at LH and KL
Old Jul 11, 2022, 6:03 am

Programs: BA, AA, FB
Looks like you are finally on your way now. Glad the fire service was just a precaution and not needed.

Not to add flames to the non-fire or upset people by throwing out references to the ‘C’ word so soon, but is one of the kind experts here able to provide a pointer to an official note (Expertflyer? Flightradar?) on the cause of the delay? I’m currently waiting in ZRH for this plane to take me to LHR and on across the pond. Definitely won’t make my original flight, and was told there are zero open seats on any of the later departures this evening. In case I do get stuck overnight it would help me sleep better knowing I might be able to recoup some of the exorbitant ticket price for my pains of sticking with BA.

Thank you!

Originally Posted by DrBenO
Thanks for the info.

Sadly 712 has just gone tech (on the runway) and returning to stand now, with fire service attending due to an overheating brake (!!) so an empty BA flight is the only one heading to Zurich this morning.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 6:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
I’m seeing on twitter that HAL have mandated air,Ines cancel a number of flights from T3 today as they can’t cope. HAL has also mandated that the airlines can’t offer same day rebooking. I guess if they do it’s just like moving the deckchairs on the Titanic. Surely however this shouldn’t be allowed and the CAA/DOfT should be stepping in.
The requirement in law is that airlines offer a rebooking option "at the earliest opportunity", and the CAA's guidelines (not law) is that airlines should provide a same day replacement. Ultimately customers can over-ride this, if the airlines refuse to rebook the same day then the customer can make their own booking, if what they do is deemed proportionate and reasonable. But yes, hopefully it isn't true, but I can see if HAL's number one priority is to get rid of its customers, this is one way to do it.
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Given the alacrity with which HAL regularly increases its charges on all fronts (for airlines and customers) "getting rid of customers" seems to be its default strategy even at the best of times!
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.