Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

11 Jul : Cancelled flights departing - empty - from LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

11 Jul : Cancelled flights departing - empty - from LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2022, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There will be arguments on both sides to this, and what I can say is there isn't a 100% entitlement, so BA will doubtless say "this is extraordinary circumstances". However there is at least as strong an argument to say that HAL is here as a supplier to BA, and BA can be invited to send all the bills to HAL. That's the short answer, longer answers are possible.
But doesn’t it matter that HAL is demanding a cut of a certain percentage of flights in general but that BA is the one making the decision as to which specific flights to cut? If flight BA555 is cut, that’s BA’s decision, not HAL’s.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 11:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by prof
But doesn’t it matter that HAL is demanding a cut of a certain percentage of flights in general but that BA is the one making the decision as to which specific flights to cut? If flight BA555 is cut, that’s BA’s decision, not HAL’s.
I see that as a second argument to add on top. The core argument about this was about a case where an a particular airport step could not be brought to the sides of an aircraft swiftly, a delay over 3 hours incurrred, airline (not BA) said "not our fault, airport has only one handling company, so don't blame us". The CJEU said that this company is contracting to services and so long as it wasn't extraordinary to them too, the airline can bill the costs of EC261 to this company. This is mentioned in Article 13 as being an option for airlines. But there will be arguments against this, e.g. if COVID or some other factor meant that this resource shortage could not reasonably have been foreseen.
prof, welshwiz and firstlight like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by prof
Can someone remind me how much gets tacked on to passenger tickets for HAL? And in return we get this shambles?
It’s all published on HAL’s website. For departing pax:
Ł13.50(+/- a few pence with discounts) - Domestic/CTA
Ł20.92 - Europe
Ł54.91 - longhaul

Transfer pax charged at a slightly lower rate, and there’s a Ł4 rebate for anyone departing using a remote stand.

Better still (for HAL at least), they will be allowed to pass on any revenue lost by pushing pax away this week, through their bizarre charging model where airlines pay regardless.
prof and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 11:37 am

Presumably Heathrow has a license to operate? If so the the CAA should be reminding Heathrow of its obligations to deliver aerodrome services, without having an adverse effect on the wider economy.

(although good chance CAA may only be concerned about safety and economic regulation in the context of airports - another world class UK privatisation if so!)
Old Jul 11, 2022, 11:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SW7London
Presumably Heathrow has a license to operate? If so the the CAA should be reminding Heathrow of its obligations to deliver aerodrome services, without having an adverse effect on the wider economy.

(although good chance CAA may only be concerned about safety and economic regulation in the context of airports - another world class UK privatisation if so!)
but hal can’t magic people out of thin air so what good would reminding them do? I suspect hal are recruiting and training people as fast as they can atm.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by SW7London

That's the beauty of monopolies (and let's not kid ourselves, that is what LHR is, and no matter how nasty HAL is, those airlines who want to offer flights to/from London have little to no choice). Do what you like, but you can't be shut down really.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
A report from the "front line": Like the OP, I received a post-midnight cancellation email. Unlike the OP, I wasn't awake to read it until around 06:00.

Called the Silver hotline immediately and spent 45 minutes on hold, only to be disconnected when the agent finally answered. By that time, everyone else must have cottoned on to what was happening, as my subsequent call was dropped automatically.

Made it to the airport and onto the Shuttle down to LHR (clearly before staff shortages began to hit catering, as I enjoyed a Full English and coveted my neighbour's better choice of Charcuterie Board).

I made my way landside upon arrival at Heathrow (which other have noted was probably a mistake, but my hold luggage was checked only to Heathrow, so there was little choice in the matter), where the debacle was being handled in the North of the Terminal at the A Desks. After about an hour in the queue, a handful of back office staff emerged and announced that they were trialling a new ticketing system. My reservation number was taken and I received a text with information that I would soon be rebooked. To their credit, they were all very friendly, and I appreciate that they stepped up into a role which they wouldn't normally do to compensate for HAL's diktat, but clearly something went wrong, because I was rebooked for Wednesday.

After over 2.5 hours in the queue, I finally reached one of the desks, only for the representative to be unable to contact ticketing to remedy the situation. She did, however, assure me that BA would cover hotel costs (in this case two nights), at which point I cut my losses and left.

Not an experience I wish to repeat in a hurry.
IMH, wrp96, 36902BRF and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 6:18 pm

What is handling capacity like at BHX at the moment? Would it be feasible for BA to transfer some of the HAL-cancelled flights there? Travel time to BHX from much of the north of the London area should be comparable with time to Heathrow.

Then of course a full set of direct short-haul from place such as EDI, GLA, NCL and even MAN would find favour with many potential customers as well as taking some of the load off HAL.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 11:52 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by RGS5526
What is handling capacity like at BHX at the moment? Would it be feasible for BA to transfer some of the HAL-cancelled flights there? Travel time to BHX from much of the north of the London area should be comparable with time to Heathrow.
You must travel using different modes of transport to me. I picked a random place in North London that I've travelled from quite a lot (Tuffnell Park). It's around an hour to Heathrow (by car or train), and around 2 hours to Birmingham Airport (OK 1:45 by train, as it's conveniently on the same line). I dread to think how much a cab would be. Enfield (again picked at random) is again 1hr to Heathrow, 2 hrs to BHX (either by car or by train). Rereading perhaps you meant "the area north of London" (as opposed to "the north of the London area") which would be fair, but most of the population density is in or around London - and the same 1 hr vs 2 hr applies to (eg) Hatfield.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by RGS5526

Then of course a full set of direct short-haul from place such as EDI, GLA, NCL and even MAN would find favour with many potential customers as well as taking some of the load off HAL.
Leaving aside whether people would a) be able to reach Birmingham from London, b) want to reach BHX and c) whether BHX airport has capacity, opening up a new station requires a monumental effort. The amount of IT kit, to say nothing of the ground service equipment, engineering hardware and people required is BIG. And then you need to house those working there.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by Flier74
allegedly HAL has sent a message to European Stations and Airlines mandating them not to accept any hold baggage until the end of week nor accept any new bookings into LHR until the same time.
source was Ops staff at LH and KL
I put this to HAL yesterday and they explicity denied it, though I'm not sure I believe them (especially in light of the pax capacity cap announced today...)
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:47 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
I’m all for prioritising cancellations based on whether or not Grant Shapps or Michael Green are travelling - or any other government minister. HAL operates to the rules that are set for them (I have a degree of sympathy for them given the last 2 years, but they share some blame) and wild hand waving from those responsible when their choices come back to bite them is really annoying

Apologies to anybody with the misfortune to share a name / online persona with the transport minister

Just the 3 LHR departures in the next 2 months for me so waiting to see what the crapshoot brings…
Old Jul 16, 2022, 1:39 pm

BA have declined my kind offer to accept compensation for my cancelled flight.

In the ‘live’ thread CWS says…..

‘ BA appear to be denying compensation since BA is blaming HAL for this. However a number of us feel that BA should in fact pay EC261 and then claim the costs from HAL - this is provided for in the Regulation’

Can anyone please provide a link to the actual bit of the regs that says this? I’ve looked but can’t find the relevant bit. Thanks lots.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 1:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Have a look at Tobias' recent post towards the end of the main EC261 thread.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Have a look at Tobias' recent post towards the end of the main EC261 thread.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.