Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Hotel guideline is maximum £200 a night...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club: Gold HHons:Diamond FB:Ivory Accor:Plat Hertz: PC USA:GlobalEntry

I've had 3 cancellations whilst travelling with my other half recently, all requiring an overnight hotel before next day re-booked flight.
We are both GCH's.
Just checked and we have cost BA an average £75pp for overnight hotel accommodation, I wonder if I should be looking at £400 rooms!!
Old Jul 1, 2022, 8:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
You're welcome to book an expensive room but if you can't justify the amount over the guideline price based on market conditions you'll end up paying the excess amount yourself.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC
What benefit would deliberately looking at more expensive rooms bring? There is an inherent responsibility to act reasonably, which your averages show you to have done. My understanding is that the £200 is very much a guide (it can be exceeded if one can show that it was not possible to get a room for less) but not a target. I would also aver that the limit is per room, not per person and where it is reasonable for two people to share a room (for example partners travelling together), both claiming £200 for a £400 room when a £150 room was available that would have been reasonably suitable to accommodate them both would not be reasonable and any such claim should be rejected.

When did we as a society move from collective responsibility and reasonableness to selfishly seeking the maximum possible rather than simply what is fair and necessary?
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Interesting, here is the email we've just received from BA Holidays making clear that we can expect to stay in the same hotel if an extra night is required because of disruption. The text has certainly been updated, I can only think that someone from ABTA has had a word around disruption. This just formalises the situation that on a holiday booking it's entirely reasonable to stay in the same hotel - even if that hotel is £500 or £5000 a night...

Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: MUCCI
I guess it is all about reasonable and appropriate. I have to say my first port of call from Heathrow would be the Sofitel (though if there were only Suites I would not book that first), then the Hilton and other hotels around Heathrow. Only if I got nothing or suites would I then look further afield, not least because I would be tired and fed up and want to go to sleep. So if that gave me the Hilton at T2 I would just take it even though the T5 one is a better hotel - I would just want a room.....
If I was away and I could sort it out I would just extend my stay wherever I was if I got enough notice - easier, less hassle and very easy to prove that is where I was staying........ Once you have actually left and are at the airport slightly different as you have to schlepp back into town usually.
I think the biggest issue at the moment is IRROPS have almost become OPS and this is regularly and repeatedly happening so there is little left. I bet if you book after about 4pm any day the Sofitel is full and that you end up, as per another thread with the nearest hotel being the IC at the O2 which is miles away and will take up to 2 hours to get there...... And no way that if that is all that is left you will land it for >£200 a night.....
FD.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by firstlight
Interesting, here is the email we've just received from BA Holidays making clear that we can expect to stay in the same hotel if an extra night is required because of disruption. The text has certainly been updated, I can only think that someone from ABTA has had a word around disruption. This just formalises the situation that on a holiday booking it's entirely reasonable to stay in the same hotel - even if that hotel is £500 or £5000 a night...

ba holiday is entirely different, what they tell you is not based on ec261 but on their package holiday guarantee which in some ways is a lot more generous.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:50 am

The Holiday Inn Express in Wandsworth is going for £563 tonight…was it even this high during the olympics?!

Under the circumstances I would focus on the hotel category rather than the price - there’s nothing extravagant about staying in a Holiday Inn Express.

I don’t see how BA will, in general, be able to defend these cases at MCOL.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Hotels round Heathrow ATM are going for many hundreds of pounds IF you can actually find a room. It's not a question of what's reasonable, it's a question of what's available!
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cauchy
The Holiday Inn Express in Wandsworth is going for £563 tonight…was it even this high during the olympics?!

Under the circumstances I would focus on the hotel category rather than the price - there’s nothing extravagant about staying in a Holiday Inn Express.

I don’t see how BA will, in general, be able to defend these cases at MCOL.
Lots going on in London this weekend. It's Wimbledon, Ed Sheeran at Wembley and the Pride event. And it's the start of the summer holiday season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.