GLA-lhr-jnb 1 July. ex-gla leg canx help.

Old Jul 1, 22, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
GLA-lhr-jnb 1 July. ex-gla leg canx help.

Help.

got a family member in GLA supposed to be on a canx LHR then onto JNB.

They were initially told by Menzies to go home and BA would refund them, but we quickly dissuaded them of that. They’ve now been told they ‘might’ get on the 2000 ish GLA-LHR but won’t find out till 1800. I’m on a bad mobile data connection and can’t get on expertflyer for some reason anyone know what the loads are like for tomorrow to JNB and what their options might be?
(My suggestion is get to lhr if possible, overnight hotel and by then I’ll be back in comms and can build a plan) 🤔
thanks!
Old Jul 1, 22, 10:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BA57 is full tomorrow (some seats today). VS has some seats and BA will rebook on to VS, also Lufthansa Group, though things are fairly full across the board at the moment. I certainly agree that they should get to London if possible, taking the train if there are no flights, since from London the options are far greater.

Becaus of Sheeran, Pride and Wimbledon, hotel rooms are very short in supply tonight so that may take some effort / looking at places just outside London such as Braintree.
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jul 1, 22 at 10:10 am
Old Jul 1, 22, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There is only one daily flight and tomorrows is full.
Old Jul 1, 22, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold
VS looks to be the best bet, tomorrow or Sunday.
Old Jul 1, 22, 10:38 am

See this thread too:

Stuck in GLA - any advice? (Sitting in the airport wondering what to do)
Old Jul 1, 22, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Geordie405 View Post
VS looks to be the best bet, tomorrow or Sunday.
Agree. AF, KL, LH all full even if you could get to their hubs which are also full or cancelled. Then make their way down on the train tomorrow if needs be

The call centre can rebook to VS in the event of a cancellation so worth them trying to get through
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Well I'm back home and on expertflyer so thank you everyone for the help. They're currently in the Q at Gla to talk to the BA desk. I've told them to push for the VS on Sat night and get on a train down to London but whether GLA will be able to rebook them or it's a phone call I'm not sure. It sounds like when the flight was cancelled there was no BA ground staff in GLA (appreciate it's all contracted out).

Aaaand when they got to the desk they've been told they've been rebooked by BA ex GLA on 5 July and the desk can't do anything about it. 🤦‍♂️
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 11:20 am

Yes as expected, that would be a waste of time. It's basically someone just looking at what you can look at yourself in MMB. Times like this are really when decisions not to have ticket trained BA employed staff at outstations comes home to roost!

Hopefully they haven't accepted that booking and they're now on the phone to the call centre to get themselves onto VS?
Old Jul 1, 22, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Cant help thinking this is a perfect example of how BA is struggling and why BWC should still be available
Old Jul 1, 22, 11:23 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Get them rebooked GLA-DXB-JNB with Emirates and avoid LHR would be my advice.
sammyg901 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 11:30 am

3J & 9+Y on tomorrow afternoons EK flights. There is also 1J and 1Y on QR tomorrow out of Edinburgh too
Old Jul 1, 22, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sammyg901 View Post
Agree. AF, KL, LH all full even if you could get to their hubs which are also full or cancelled. Then make their way down on the train tomorrow if needs be

The call centre can rebook to VS in the event of a cancellation so worth them trying to get through
Hmm , it is both much easier to sit here as (for once) the person not travelling and offer advice by text and call. But it's also really frustrating not to be able to just fix this for them.

The BA1495 GLA-LHR is showing OPER as its status so I can't even console them that it's an easy 261claim. 🤣
Old Jul 1, 22, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sammyg901 View Post
3J & 9+Y on tomorrow afternoons EK flights. There is also 1J and 1Y on QR tomorrow out of Edinburgh too
Interesting, I'm wasn't seeing that on ExpertFlyer unless I specifically put EK in as the airline. Wonder what I was doing wrong.
Old Jul 1, 22, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by tinkicker View Post
Interesting, I'm wasn't seeing that on ExpertFlyer unless I specifically put EK in as the airline. Wonder what I was doing wrong.
No, me neither ! I'm not sure if there is some logic about distance in there, it isn't the most direct routing but a lot of people do it
Old Jul 1, 22, 12:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tinkicker View Post
Things like Google Flights may also help, but yes check Ethiopian, QR and similar in the airline box. The new date would not be acceptable to my mind, so I would be on the phone trying to get a better date and if that fails, buy and claim. Or go for the refund if EK is cheaper.

Search this Thread