Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Always print out your docs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
And in addition to always printing, always carry your railcard, as you may end up taking a train from, say, EDI, GLA, NCL etc, instead of flying. [Quick reminder that anyone who has served in any capacity in the UK forces, regular and reserve, is eligible for a Veteran's Railcard, which provides 1/3 off most rail fares. Even a few months in the OTC at uni 30+ years ago is properly within the parameters of eligibility.]
T8191, Mekko, Fatdickie and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:20 pm

I haven't read all the messages so apologies if this is repeated.
Bear in mind that a phone number change will take at least 24 hours, and often this will be needed as verification when logging into the nhs site to get vaccination proof.
We also stumbled over this because I changed my number recently.

The usual things remain true, save multiple copies on mobile devices (and know where they are stored) and multiple devices and have a power bank for emergencies.

O/T: The obsession with linking internet based accounts and phones drives me potty. When I get home, I don't want to be verifying my login by checking a phone I've switched off hours ago and long forgotten about. And when your number changes, urgh for many things, it's such a nuisance.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 6:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I have gotten on two airplanes and into one scarce hotel room because I had paper copies of my boarding pass/room reservation. The airport power was down, but they were still loading flights if you had a piece of paper they could bundle up and work later. For whatever reason the hotel could not get into the parent chain's reservation system and was turning people away if they didn't have paper. (Terrible place and I never went back. But I was only there because it was all I could get that week).

It was a decade plus ago and the boarding process is far more electronic. Not sure how that would play out now.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Paren
I do exactly the same; nothing wrong with this! 3 copies of everything (phone, hand luggage and hold luggage)
same, all in a single pdf with main schedule on the first page. PDF is also saved offline in my phone.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:01 pm

Or you can keep your necessary docs on the cloud and access from any internet-enabled device instead of just keep cutting down trees, boomers.
Swanhunter and omaralt like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
But I'm old school and paranoid

Might have pdf copies of boarding pass, covid pass, hotel booking, coach ticket all stored on my phone, but still have hard copies in my hand luggage. What if I lost my phone or run out of charge....
(Also have a backup copy in suitcase)

My kids laugh at me
Hell yes - I always print everything out before I go anywhere. Printout of my ticket confirmation. Printout of my hotel confirmations. Hard copy of my covid vaccine card. Hard copy of covid test results (when that was required). I get printed boarding passes from the kiosk. Paper always and forever!

If anything goes wrong - my phone dies or gets lost, the website or airline app vaporizes my reservation, whatever it might be - I want a hard copy of any and all relevant materials in my possession.
vanmunchen and Fatdickie like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
The battery has never died on a paper boarding pass.
Seen many people stuck in transit security at Narita with a phone that won't turn on.
- Yes, I had the same problem in NRT but luckily found a printout of itinerary in my briefcase. That piece of paper saved me a lot of time!
On another occasion, I was flying from RDU when AA had complete system outage. This was just before the merger. They did not have capability of even printing boarding passes. I did check in on line and printed the passes to go through security. AA ended up loading the plane by calling passengers by name and assembling the manifest manually.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:33 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
But I'm old school and paranoid

Might have pdf copies of boarding pass, covid pass, hotel booking, coach ticket all stored on my phone, but still have hard copies in my hand luggage. What if I lost my phone or run out of charge....
(Also have a backup copy in suitcase)

My kids laugh at me
they will laugh until they have a power outage and are stuck. Us, August 2019 DFW thunderstorms. Wife has printed PDFs of DFW to REK. Flights cancelled, crew unavailable, everyone scrambling, those with app can't pull up bar codes due to internet outage thunderstorms in DFW. Hard copies are accepted in the AA FL. We get the last 2 seats in PE to DUB, then to REK. Because we had paper.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by commaspace
Or you can keep your necessary docs on the cloud and access from any internet-enabled device instead of just keep cutting down trees, boomers.
Which is fine, until your Internet-enabled device cannot access the internet!

As for cutting down trees, The cobalt mined by kids for the batteries to power the aforementioned internet-enabled devices is arguably less ethical than printing out a paper boarding pass.
LBA_flyer and NoizeBoy like this.

Last edited by passy777; Jun 30, 2022 at 10:43 pm
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:19 pm

Programs: BAEC. Gold
I always use Recycled paper at home, even though it is slightly grey rather than pure white.

So hopefully no trees are harmed or nasty bleaches used
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Old School and Fusspot.

I can find my papers tout de suite. I may have connection problems and all sorts of battery issues. Whe we had Covid tests and had (well I did) to do Verifly I took Scrren shots as I have for our Covid Vaccination Q codes. Idem Boarding passes and confirmations for cars.

What I do try and do is have everything to hand so as not to delay others.
I print everything out, flight info, hotels, car rentals, etc etc. For one reason, I've been in countries where I was not able to connect.

Once while at the airport my phone slipped out of my purse and broke, went kaputttt, died. I was so glad that I had all my information printed.
PUCCI GALORE, T8191 and NoizeBoy like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

indeed. I am genuinely bemused at the people printing everything - let alone multiple copies. I enjoy sailing past people rummaging in an big stack of paper for something while I just show the document saved on my phone.
noFODplease and RockyRobin like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:37 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
I used to work with someone who would print out every email they received and put them in box files after they were read….
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:42 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
I would never rely on the internet for an essential travel document. PDF's and hard copy for the most important ones.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
I used to work with someone who would print out every email they received and put them in box files after they were read….
A failry recent Modernist Prime Minister used to do exactly this. When he left office it was decided to shred the lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.