FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Always print out your docs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2085070-always-print-out-your-docs.html)

dobba Jun 30, 2022 3:58 am

Always print out your docs

Just a reminder. Always have a backup

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e67ac7a930.jpg

JD1905 Jun 30, 2022 4:05 am

It's available offline for Apple and Android users, so you shouldn't need to print it. Travelled quite a bit over the last 2 years and managed to get by without a printer, just ensure you have an offline version of your documents available.

crazyarmadillo Jun 30, 2022 4:08 am

Originally Posted by dobba (Post 34383162)
Just a reminder. Always have a backup

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e67ac7a930.jpg

Couldn't agree more.

With me, my phone died on me half way through a flight. Permanently died, not just low battery. Had all my partner's and my stuff on it.

Wasn't easy then trying to get things sorted for further flights we had in the 24 hour period when we didn't have a printer.

Fatdickie Jun 30, 2022 4:10 am

Originally Posted by JackDann (Post 34383181)
It's available offline for Apple and Android users, so you shouldn't need to print it. Travelled quite a bit over the last 2 years and managed to get by without a printer, just ensure you have an offline version of your documents available.

But I'm old school and paranoid

Might have pdf copies of boarding pass, covid pass, hotel booking, coach ticket all stored on my phone, but still have hard copies in my hand luggage. What if I lost my phone or run out of charge....
(Also have a backup copy in suitcase)

My kids laugh at me :D

noFODplease Jun 30, 2022 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Fatdickie (Post 34383189)

Might have pdf copies of boarding pass, covid pass, hotel booking, coach ticket all stored on my phone, but still have hard copies in my hand luggage. What if I lost my phone or run out of charge....

I dont think I have printed anything since uni. I do smile when I see a folder of papers at check in but I get the safety element of it

T8191 Jun 30, 2022 4:29 am

100% with you. Placing all my 'travel eggs' in one basket of potentially vulnerable technology? No thanks! Even if I had a smart phone, which I don't.

Paper doesn't need batteries, is not attractive to thieves and is unlikely to be lost down the side of a sofa in a lounge.

I did, however, recently back up my paper docs with scanned images in my iPad photo library ... a sort of reverse backup in case someone demanded to see an electronic version!

ratechaser Jun 30, 2022 4:40 am

Always. Absolutely always. For every business trip or holiday I've ever been on, everything gets printed and put in a plastic folder. For the past 2 years, that folder has bulged more than usual!

I've even printed off covid passes, laminated them and put them on lanyards for my kids, in case they went off on their own while skiing.

What I've also found on my travels is that if you present anyone in authority with a mass of physical documentation, you tend to get a lot less scrutiny. Possibly because they realise that you're not messing around...

BJ787 Jun 30, 2022 4:46 am

Another one here that prints off everything just in case. From the point of booking every trip has it's own plastic envelope, things get printed and put in there in the correct order that they might be needed. I even request e-ticket PDFs from the Finnair website for my BA flights so I've got all the important information - ticket numbers etc all in one place.

As an aside, if you don't want to print your NHS Covid Pass, you can request a paper copy of it here - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/corona...d-pass-letter/ comes in a few days and is valid for 6 months. I always have one in the back of my bag when travelling because you never know.

corporate-wage-slave Jun 30, 2022 4:58 am

Over the last few years I have moved away from printing things out, and for the last 5 years I don't systematically print out documents. In some place I know it makes sense, so when travelling somewhere on the very first day of restrictions being started or lifted I've printed out some material. So tatically it may make sense. But you can get most stuff on to Google Pay / Keep / Google Docs, that works for me and I haven't been caught out yet. There again I do use mobile phones that last a few days between charging rather be a hostage to that particular fortune. I know there is an element of printing things out as a safety blanket, but that can lead to people missing the point, e.g. using the NHS blue cards or not realising the 270 day vaccination restrictions in some places.

VSLover Jun 30, 2022 5:07 am

i always print everything. it started whenever mobile boarding passes became a thing and i was caught out enough when scanning my pass at security and told to go to an agent i quickly became over it.

then w covid, well i hate having to hold my phone up, let them try and scroll or zoom but all before your phone screen locks again...then you have to unlock again but you have a mask and they didnt update the software to do face id with a mask etc yet and sometimes a piece of paper is really the fastest route to entry!

:D! Jun 30, 2022 5:15 am

I use a screenshot of my covid QR code and save it to my laptop and my email, so there is no availability problem, and in theory if both my phone(s) and laptop(s) died I could in theory still ask someone to help me access it.

JD1905 Jun 30, 2022 5:29 am

Haha fair enough and completely Understand. For a trip to Spain last year I had 6 Folders stored on iCloud - One for each member of our group, each folder contained every document required all downloaded locally to my 3 Devices for use offline. Then I knew if those were to all die then I could use another member of our group to login and get what was needed.

For me, having to organise travel for a group that size (This was June 21 so alot of docs still required then) with paper would have been a more terrifying thought for me.

Obviously it’s down to individual preference, so long as people are organised and don’t hold up others!

South London Bon Viveur Jun 30, 2022 5:52 am

That makes two of us. Always have everything in hard copy (in triplicate). There have been plenty of times for me where that has proved to be a sensible strategy, so I am not going to change it now- I don't care how digital we are!

fluffymitten Jun 30, 2022 5:59 am

+1 for print outs

I don't always print out everything but the majority of stuff I will have a hard copy of.

I do make sure I have an offline PDF of everything stored locally on my phone, and laptop if I'm taking it with me. Having once had to sell a kidney for some mobile data in an airport without wifi, just to download proof of my negative covid test (I thought I'd done it but it seems not), I am especially careful about that now.

Swanhunter Jun 30, 2022 6:00 am

As we all know, it’s impossible to misplace a piece of paper. 😉