Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

30 Jun 22: 30 flights cancelled because LHR can't cope

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30 Jun 22: 30 flights cancelled because LHR can't cope

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 5:24 am

Programs: Etihad Guest - Silver
EC261?

Our flight ARN-LHR (BA779 15:40) was cancelled at around 6am Sweden time and ExpertFlyer has the cancellation down as INDN which doesn't bode well for EC261. I am completely unable to find any evidence of industrial action that would've affected this flight and would be a bit miffed if BA tried to wriggle out of paying compensation given we have been rebooked today (three days later!)

Anyone got any insight into what the INDN might be?
Old Jul 3, 2022, 5:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk georgegebbett

Was this last weekend (30 June)? There may be strikes in the next few days affecting SAS, which I guess could have wider implications, and there are some ATC areas with reduced staffing (though not I think on strike).
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk georgegebbett

Was this last weekend (30 June)? There may be strikes in the next few days affecting SAS, which I guess could have wider implications, and there are some ATC areas with reduced staffing (though not I think on strike).
Thank you! Long time lurker but first time poster!

Yes the cancelled flight was 30th June - the inbound flight was cancelled so I assumed that was one of the casualties of the HAL request. My understanding would be that this would make the cancellation of our flight a knock on effect of the previous cancellation and therefore BA would be on the hook - especially as they cancelled it a good 10 hours in advance and they would presumably have had time to sort something out...
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well in that case you should apply for EC261. BA may well rapidly turn it down, when you get to CEDR level they will have to present the Industrial Action evidence. It's not your job to prove your case. That weekend if there was anything it would have been ATC but it may just be someone pressed the wrong button by mistake.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:39 am

In that case I shall get the claim in and prepare to put the gloves on!
DaveS and MatJarosz like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
So long as you can keep the route the same, you should be able to rebook that ticket certainly until October 2022. In fact you can do that anyway this weekend even if your flight was not cancelled. Refunds would indeed be problematic so I would rebook to dates that work for you. BA could also rebook on alternative services e.g. Iberia, Lufthansa Group and ITA.
Thank you CWS.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:32 pm

Is there a way to get the cancellation codes (e.g., from ExpertFlyer) several days after the flight? I'm trying to find out for BA1416 (BHD-LHR) on 30/June/2022 but can't seem to get it to come up on EF.

In addition, were the HAL-mandated cancellations on 30/June/2022 only required in the morning? Or did airlines get to choose cancellations after 12pm (midday).
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Simon Schus
Is there a way to get the cancellation codes (e.g., from ExpertFlyer) several days after the flight? I'm trying to find out for BA1416 (BHD-LHR) on 30/June/2022 but can't seem to get it to come up on EF.

In addition, were the HAL-mandated cancellations on 30/June/2022 only required in the morning? Or did airlines get to choose cancellations after 12pm (midday).
Sometimes if cancelled a few days in advance the flight no longer shows on EF.

I don’t think there were any cancellations mandated by HAL last Thursday. Most if not all cancellations that day were due to ba’s own internal issues.
Simon Schus likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Sometimes if cancelled a few days in advance the flight no longer shows on EF.

I don’t think there were any cancellations mandated by HAL last Thursday. Most if not all cancellations that day were due to ba’s own internal issues.
Thank you KARFA

hmm- the flight still shows up, albeit cancelled; was cancelled overnight when in transit from PIT.

I thought the whole thread was dedicated to HAL-mandated cancellations on 30/June2022 (last Thursday). BA’s lounge team told me: “HAL made us cancel flights today” but didn’t say if the LHR-BHD flight was one of them. I might be misunderstanding though- perhaps I am assuming HAL “mandated” when instead HAL “asked, but not required”. I am asking (haha/haHAL) for the purposes of EC261 as I have no idea whether there was a realistic prospect of getting anything on LHR-BHD BA1416 on last Thursday.

Last edited by Simon Schus; Jul 4, 2022 at 9:33 pm
Old Jul 8, 2022, 6:48 am

Claim has been declined (as expected):

Thanks for contacting us about your claim for EU compensation. We don't underestimate how much of an inconvenience this has caused and we thank you for your patience while we got back to you.We're sorry it was necessary to cancel your flight to London Heathrow on 30 June. I have checked your claim and it has been refuse, because BA0779 was cancelled due to the lack of Heathrow Airport Limited (HAL) security resources.

As this service is provided by a third party, I’m afraid this meant we had no option but to cancel your flight.

We take all reasonable measures to avoid disruption to a flight and we always consider if there are any other alternative solutions before we make a decision. The cancellation was out of our control and caused unforeseen disruption to our schedule.
I will take it to CEDR because it seems a bit tenuous to claim that a flight that did not originate in LHR was cancelled due to lack of HAL security staff - BA could easily have repositioned the equipment and run our flight anyway.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by georgegebbett
I will take it to CEDR because it seems a bit tenuous to claim that a flight that did not originate in LHR was cancelled due to lack of HAL security staff - BA could easily have repositioned the equipment and run our flight anyway.
Remember that this was exactly what happened later that same day: BA decided to run some flights empty from LHR, so that they could protect the return legs, even though, daftly, most of the passengers had cleared security in T5. BA also had choices about which flight to cancel. BA could have rebooked you, but didn't have the resources to do so.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 7:39 am

I've gone back to them - wonder if they will buckle

Hello there,Thank you for your response to our claim for EC261 compensation.

I am dismayed to learn that the claim has been declined. It is fanciful to suggest that the cancellation of a flight departing ARN can be directly attributed to the non-availability of HAL security staff.

I accept that the aircraft's positioning leg could have been affected by this, however BA could easily have operated the outbound flight without passengers, making the aircraft available to operate the inbound leg (as I am sure you are aware, BA did do this later that day with a number of empty aircraft departing LHR to protect inbound flights)

Instead, BA chose to cancel the flight with over ten hours notice. This was a decision that could easily have been avoided and resulted in us being stuck in Sweden for three days(!). I attempted to contact the BA call centre to request a different re-routing but this was unsuccessful.

'Knock-on effects' are specifically included in the circumstances that result in EC261 compensation becoming payable, and it is clear that our flight was cancelled due to the knock-on effect of the outbound flight being cancelled.

I would urge you to reconsider your position on this claim, as well as those of my fellow passengers (xxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxx), or I will have no choice but to proceed to CEDR mediation.

I look forward to hearing from you

Kind regards

George Gebbett
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by georgegebbett
I've gone back to them - wonder if they will buckle
Thanks for contacting us about your claim for EU compensation. We're sorry it was necessary to cancel flight, BA0779, on 30 June 2022. I understand this is something you feel strongly about and I appreciate why you're unhappy with our previous reply.I’ve had another look at your claim for compensation and I’ve taken time to make sure our response is accurate and up-to-date. Based on this, our decision hasn’t changed and the response you’ve received about the eligibility of your EU compensation claim are correct.

As your flight was cancelled due tothe lack of Heathrow Airport Limited (HAL) security resources, it means you’re not eligible for EU compensation.

Article 5.3 of the EU Regulation 261/2004 states a carrier is not obliged to pay compensation if it can prove the delay or cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances, that couldn’t have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. In Recital 14 and 15 of EU Regulation 261/2004, extraordinary circumstances include weather, strike and the impact of an air traffic management decision which gives rise to a long delay. This means you’re not entitled to compensation under the EU Regulation for your cancelled flight.
That was quick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.