Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

30 Jun 22: 30 flights cancelled because LHR can't cope

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30 Jun 22: 30 flights cancelled because LHR can't cope

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
It is worth noting that many key third parties are also struggling which adds to the customer facing airline bearing the brunt of criticism.

Yesterday my 16:20 flight from NCL to LHR was boarded and ready for push back before the flight crew were advised due to ATC staff shortages our slot would be for a 20:50 departure.

Happily the crew persisted with the "we are ready to go" and slowly earlier slot times were achieved (as they do, perhaps the FO should have kept us less informed about the extent of the possible delay!). We eventually landed at LHR at 19:11.

Lots of missed connections and more chaos for the airline despite this not being of their making.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
My LHR-AMS flight tomorrow has just been cancelled. I fully expected this as yesterday's and todays flight at that time were also cancelled short notice. Rebooking wasn't simple as many of the alternative flights were full. Now going from LCY nearly 4 hours later.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
- Contact all passengers to encourage HBO trips wherever possible for the remainder of this summer. Perhaps offer some Avios as a reward for giving up a checked bag.
What about simultaneous, competing promotions at cross purposes?

HAL want you to take as little hand baggage as you can so you can buy as much duty free and other stuff as possible.

BA want to reduce the load on their baggage handlers so they’d prefer you take only hand baggage and check nothing.

So what if as well as BA offering bonus Avios for not checking bags, HAL could offer particularly copious Heathrow Rewards for buying large quantities of duty free?
Never Stansted likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Virgin Flying Club Red, Swiss M&M Blue
Originally Posted by GTR56
My LHR-AMS flight tomorrow has just been cancelled. I fully expected this as yesterday's and todays flight at that time were also cancelled short notice. Rebooking wasn't simple as many of the alternative flights were full. Now going from LCY nearly 4 hours later.
Good luck. I had my LHR-Lux flight canceled this morning and thought I'd be OK from lcy this afternoon but that is now cancelled too.

I'm now sat here waiting for a Luxair flight instead (at my expense for now but will be chasing up with BA)
tom tulpe and becks1 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:54 am

How much of the ground handling and baggage delay is caused by HMG following a Walsh-Cruz approach to staffing the civil service, so that the part responsible for carrying out the security checks needed for cannot cope with current demand, leading to delays in deploying sufficient baggage handlers, for example, to meet current demand.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by salut0
So what if as well as BA offering bonus Avios for not checking bags, HAL could offer particularly copious Heathrow Rewards for buying large quantities of duty free?
We may need to think of more radical solutions.

I bought a book from Amazon a few weeks ago. Despite being an English language book, produced by a major UK publisher for the UK market, not particularly obscure, Amazon nevertheless stocked it in their warehouse in Madrid. I ordered it on Monday, Tuesday it was in East Midlands Airport (off a cargo flight) , Wednesday it was in my particularly obscure corner of England. Maybe BA could look at linking Airportr with cargo flights. Collect your bag on day1, or even drop it off at designated locations, it will be in your hotel in MAD / NYC / FRA / BeNeLux when you arrive on day 3. Now there will be what-ifs, but air cargo sector was not hit by COVID-19 as much as the rest of the aviation industry so is currently better placed than passenger services.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 6:12 am

After arriving (without delays) back yesterday evening on the flight from Rome, which landed around 9.45pm, I received both an email and a text message at around 1am this morning to let me know that they could not deliver my baggage, including the line "We know we’ve let you down, but we wanted to let you know as soon as possible so that you don’t wait in the baggage hall. "

Two issues with this: first, by this point I would have been stood in the baggage hall for 3 hours and second, I didn't have any hold baggage.

Definitely some investment needed....
Old Jun 30, 2022, 6:28 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
With this and all other similar threads in mind, I wonder if my decision to go with U2 out of LTN next week (rather than BA out of LHR) will end up being a smart move or not... frankly it's all guesswork right now

I won't appreciate having given up my lounge privileges if it's equally bad on the other side of the fence...
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
I don’t recall “ the old ba “ being anything aspirational. Did it work - yes but the soft product was out dated , the planes old and the staff variable. They are - very slowly - ditching the ying Yang seats and buying nee planes. The IT will likely never recover as they have an old system and seem to wallow in complexity.

The recovery of leisure travel was entirely predictable. Business travel ( and I have no idea how much of that thee is now ) was the main thing likely to be replaced with zoom.

whilst it will hurt they all need to cut services to run an efficient airline. Where I do feel for them js they do there bit and then the airport / atc don’t do theirs. Heathrow is and always has been a national disgrace
Some of us like the Ying Yang seats thank you very much. The slower they are replaced the better in my case.
JimEddie, KeaneJohn and becks1 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
Was that door open time ? Probably teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but it's the door open time which counts for 261 purposes...
yep. Door time.

I found myself in the odd position of hoping for a slight further delay...
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
We may need to think of more radical solutions.

I bought a book from Amazon a few weeks ago. Despite being an English language book, produced by a major UK publisher for the UK market, not particularly obscure, Amazon nevertheless stocked it in their warehouse in Madrid. I ordered it on Monday, Tuesday it was in East Midlands Airport (off a cargo flight) , Wednesday it was in my particularly obscure corner of England. Maybe BA could look at linking Airportr with cargo flights. Collect your bag on day1, or even drop it off at designated locations, it will be in your hotel in MAD / NYC / FRA / BeNeLux when you arrive on day 3. Now there will be what-ifs, but air cargo sector was not hit by COVID-19 as much as the rest of the aviation industry so is currently better placed than passenger services.
There were some tentative attempts at getting Amazon involved in baggage logistics, especially with Amazon's retail transport arm selling extra capacity, back pre-Covid. It ended in nothing because of the need to scan bags and accessing non-Amazon warehouses and installations. Doesn't mean that it can't be done, though, and it'd be super good in shaking up a bit the baggage courier industry (which is largely made of non very reputable companies).

Originally Posted by RGS5526
How much of the ground handling and baggage delay is caused by HMG following a Walsh-Cruz approach to staffing the civil service, so that the part responsible for carrying out the security checks needed for cannot cope with current demand, leading to delays in deploying sufficient baggage handlers, for example, to meet current demand.
I've just applied for a basic criminal record check through DBS (used to be Disclosure Scotland, now it seems to be done this side of Hadrian's Wall). From sending the request to receipt of the paperwork it was about one week in total which is quite fast.

The problem is the pass issue unit over at HAL. That'll be a whole different matter... Right now I can see no appointments available this side of November, by which time I'll need a new record check!
adrianlondon, KARFA, DaveS and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Is there a particular reason HAL isn’t trying to resource the pass unit better? All airlines and other airside companies must be desperate to get that sorted and must be hammering HAL to sort it as a matter of urgency.
wrp96 and becks1 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ratechaser
With this and all other similar threads in mind, I wonder if my decision to go with U2 out of LTN next week (rather than BA out of LHR) will end up being a smart move or not... frankly it's all guesswork right now

I won't appreciate having given up my lounge privileges if it's equally bad on the other side of the fence...
From stalking Flightradar to help a family member, my impression is that U2 at LTN are doing fairly well. LGW has been their disaster zone.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by bse118
yep. Door time.

I found myself in the odd position of hoping for a slight further delay...
A much delayed departure to SEA followed by an occupied runway forced Go-Around on arrival took my delay over 4 hours once.
Never been so happy to hear those Rolls Royce engines spool up at 500 feet!
choosethedrew and becks1 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: OWE. KLM PE.
Originally Posted by jmd
The one baffling thing in this thread is the suggestion that Easyjet are much better. I am avoiding them at the moment as lots of my colleagues have had very short notice cancellations at the airport, where the app freezes, the staff all magically disappear and where at that point you are basically on your own in terms of rebooking (and accommodation if needed).…
Just like BA yesterday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.