Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DLM to LGW CE with No food

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:02 am

I was on the one after you to LHR. Least I’m sure like me you, you loved the lounge and had plenty of chips, chicken nuggets and cold salad.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:03 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by drwook
I think meal and bar are the larger part of the equation for most on here - to put it another way, there's a 0% chance I'd consider buying CE if it was advertised as being uncatered...
Sure, and I get that. For me its the bar and the TP's....as I will eat in the CCR before departure. It is all different based on your situation.

A data point to note, I had a Kosher meal on a band 2 CE flight - long story short wasn't edible. I received £25 compensation.....
drwook likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think that was implied in my post. We all know all airports usually have local catering.

When passengers are constantly looking to get the cheapest deal and lowest cost fares, it is hardly surprising airlines will do the same to keep their fares down. Now you can argue there is always a balance to reducing costs and keeping up levels of service, but I wouldn't say this issue is one I would want BA to spend money on.
Not even a back-up arrangement? I'm sure that BA will be clawing back money from Do&Co for not loading the meals on the outbound which would help offset these costs to some extent. Not that passengers should have to think about BAs finances at all.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Not even a back-up arrangement?
No. As I noted, I think there are better things to spend money on than this.

I would be interested to know how other airlines in Europe operate on this point btw, is BA an outlier on this or merely following the pack? (I genuinely don't know the answer to this)

Last edited by KARFA; Jun 27, 2022 at 5:20 am
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
as I will eat in the CCR before departure.
Sadly neither CCR nor GF are an option on the way back from most outstations
wrp96, SkyTeem and AnaTravel like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue

I would be interested to know how other airlines in Europe operate on this point btw, is BA an outlier on this or merely following the pack? (I genuinely don't know the answer to this)
Lufthansa op-op'd several of their elites at the gate at boarding a short-haul flight (they scanned their "Y" boarding pass and the gate reader printed out a new boarding pass - LH bp's have a huge "Y" or "C" on them so that's how I knew it was an op-up). I had a revenue business ticket. They were then of course short of meals, and guess who got the meals and who didn't? The flight attendant tried to justify this by saying to me that "the rules" say the meals go to Lufthansa elites (Star Alliance status didn't matter, he said, and also said he wouldn't know if they were op-upgrades or not, just the rules say meals go to LH elites first). Flight attendant offered nothing at all and frankly couldn't care less. "What can I do about it?" he said with a dismissive shrug.

The whole thing made me furious, so I pursued the claim. Long story short, I got absolutely nothing. Customer relations called twice and both times verified the catering and load numbers and confirmed they were short of meals for the flight. They said they were sorry it happened but that it was not something for which they "were required" to provide compensation. That was the end of it.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
This was my experience with LX, too. They were quick to respond that they were emphatically not considering any form of redress beyond "sorry it happened."
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyTeem
Lufthansa op-op'd several of their elites at the gate at boarding a short-haul flight (they scanned their "Y" boarding pass and the gate reader printed out a new boarding pass - LH bp's have a huge "Y" or "C" on them so that's how I knew it was an op-up). I had a revenue business ticket. They were then of course short of meals, and guess who got the meals and who didn't? The flight attendant tried to justify this by saying to me that "the rules" say the meals go to Lufthansa elites (Star Alliance status didn't matter, he said, and also said he wouldn't know if they were op-upgrades or not, just the rules say meals go to LH elites first). Flight attendant offered nothing at all and frankly couldn't care less. "What can I do about it?" he said with a dismissive shrug.

The whole thing made me furious, so I pursued the claim. Long story short, I got absolutely nothing. Customer relations called twice and both times verified the catering and load numbers and confirmed they were short of meals for the flight. They said they were sorry it happened but that it was not something for which they "were required" to provide compensation. That was the end of it.
Yes, I agree that is completely wrong. I agree that OpUs should be at the back of the queue for meals.

I have been in the situation of being upgraded on short haul and I am perfectly fine in either getting no food if nothing is left, or being offered something only when everyone who has paid to be in club has already chosen. My experience on BA is this is what they do.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
Given this flight departed Dalaman, Turkay, that seems like a reasonable statement
That was my point
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ajamieson
This was my experience with LX, too. They were quick to respond that they were emphatically not considering any form of redress beyond "sorry it happened."
Makes mental note to avoid the Lufthansa Group when flying in business.
Tafflyer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold

Flew KLM LHR AMS recently My partner and I both PE for Life with two non status friends . All four of us upgraded to business . The purser came to welcome us and explained there were not enough meals for everyone in Business Class but we could have first refusal ! We declined as it simply seemed unfair but in the flight they magically came up with meals for us .

Meals onboard are going to hold different values for different people . Have you been in a rush all day and not had time to eat ? Is a flight in CE a special treat ? Are you a very frequent flyer and have already had the chicken salad 3 x this week and really just want to work ?

I enjoy the meal and the TPs but other than that being GC gets me everything else and the economy exit rows are actually more comfortable. So without the meal ?
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by simonsmith
Flew KLM LHR AMS recently My partner and I both PE for Life with two non status friends . All four of us upgraded to business . The purser came to welcome us and explained there were not enough meals for everyone in Business Class but we could have first refusal ! We declined as it simply seemed unfair but in the flight they magically came up with meals for us .

Meals onboard are going to hold different values for different people . Have you been in a rush all day and not had time to eat ? Is a flight in CE a special treat ? Are you a very frequent flyer and have already had the chicken salad 3 x this week and really just want to work ?

I enjoy the meal and the TPs but other than that being GC gets me everything else and the economy exit rows are actually more comfortable. So without the meal ?
This seriously gets my goat, done by any airline - not just BA. The meal is one of the few differentiators from Y to J short haul, so to smile sweetly, after marketing the service and collecting payment, and simply say ‘sorry about that’ is way short of the mark and I would see red, I’m afraid. As to whether the customer actually wants the meal is their lookout, not the airline’s.

If the airlines choose not to have back up plans with local caterers (something I personally believe is a bare minimum) or over cater their services to accommodate, then at the very least the customers should be ‘love bombed’ afterwards by proactive apologies and compensation which goes over and above the retail value of the food which should have been served, to offset for the mis-selling of the service in the first place. If the customer is left to complain, or even worse sue, to drag the money out of the airline, then they deserve an inflated bill to reward them for such conduct.

Last edited by choosethedrew; Jun 27, 2022 at 3:40 pm
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:24 pm

If the airlines choose not to have back up plans with local caterers (something I personally believe is a bare minimum)
Most airline caterers won’t deal with irregular ‘maybe’ bookings. They need firm orders X hours in advance in order to prepare ingredients and meals, and arrange transport to and through the airport. They don’t have meals on standby, so to speak, so this isn’t really an option.

The alternative would be to tell customers in advance and give them a voucher to spend in the terminal. This is something BA has definitely done in the past, and I suspect other airlines have as well.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Confus
Most airline caterers won’t deal with irregular ‘maybe’ bookings. They need firm orders X hours in advance in order to prepare ingredients and meals, and arrange transport to and through the airport. They don’t have meals on standby, so to speak, so this isn’t really an option.

The alternative would be to tell customers in advance and give them a voucher to spend in the terminal. This is something BA has definitely done in the past, and I suspect other airlines have as well.
Regarding the proactive management of such an issue, I agree. No-one likes surprises of this nature and by the time they were told, the customers couldn’t even help themselves. In this instance, BA didn’t appear to be across the issue as it ought to have been.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:06 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Regarding the proactive management of such an issue, I agree. No-one likes surprises of this nature and by the time they were told, the customers couldn’t even help themselves. In this instance, BA didn’t appear to be across the issue as it ought to have been.
It sounds as if the solution you’re seeking is for BA to have contracts in place for ad hoc catering requests at outstations on short-haul routes?

If so, likely wouldn’t pass any sensible ROI assesment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.