Wiki Posts
Search

DLM to LGW CE with No food

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2022, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
DLM to LGW CE with No food

Just boarded todays flight (2261) and have been informed by the CSM that as we are sitting in row 5 of CE we won’t be getting any food today.

There are 7 full rows in CE today but only 15 meals have been loaded.

Being gold apparently does not give me any priority. I appreciate that if it did then my status would mean someone else going hungry.
wrp96, becks1, SxMan and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 4:57 am
formerly JackDann

I’d send a complaint and be clear that you want either the fare difference between CE and ET (or avios if Reward booking) to be refunded. When they refuse I would proceed with filing a MCOL.

Might seem like a bit much, but ultimately they haven’t delivered the service you’ve paid for.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by kingcole974
Just boarded todays flight (2261) and have been informed by the CSM that as we are sitting in row 5 of CE we won’t be getting any food today.

There are 7 full rows in CE today but only 15 meals have been loaded.
There was a time, and not so long ago, when this would have quite shocked me. Sadly, I am no longer surprised by any service failure on the part of BA, and I have no doubt that a complaint will get nothing more than an insincere, template response. They simply don't care.
Lynyrd, Sealink, wrp96 and 7 others like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:43 am
Original Poster

I’d like to know if it is indeed BA policy not to give first food choice to those with status or if
it was an erroneous decision by the CSM to only offer food to those in the front 3 rows.

This was an avios ticket so I’ll be wanting nothing less than the difference between Y and J avios or a space available upgrade on a future flight.

I will have to do my sums as although an avios ticket it was one I opted to pay extra cash and less avios for.
SxMan and JD1905 like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
On shorthaul there isn’t any prioritisation of choice based on status.

If there simply isn’t enough for the whole cabin I don’t think that changes anything. Usually involuntary upgrades are only offered food once everyone else has chosen. Other than that, I believe the ifl can offer something from the buy on board trolley.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:49 am

Programs: BA
Ive never known BA give priority to status members,. I was in row one of a 777 to Argentina once and when they asked me what I wanted for breakfast they told me my choice had gone. When I pointed out I was in row 1 they said they had served the left hand side of the aircraft before the right ! :-) I then asked why they asked me what I wanted if there was no choice and I got a blank stare.

Last week flying back from Madrid (BA Flight operated by IB) we were in row 2 and had no choice as BA had only loaded 8 meals for the 8 people on board and no priority given by status.
Sealink, becks1 and Deckter like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:49 am

I’d like to know if it is indeed BA policy not to give first food choice to those with status or if
it was an erroneous decision by the CSM to only offer food to those in the front 3 rows.
This is one of those non-normal situations that BA wouldn’t write a rule for, it’s up to the senior manager on the day to decide the most appropriate solution. There clearly can’t be a right answer, but fwiw I think the one they chose was probably the least-worst. If they’d started jumping around the cabin it could have created much more of an issue, so they have to draw the line somewhere.

It’s a long flight without a meal though, and I hope you’ll come back to tell us what BA offers as resolution. The SCCM should have reported it through internal channels as well so hopefully it should be a smoother process for you as there’ll be an internal account to reference.
wrp96, AnaTravel and Bluekjp like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rwbarrett
Ive never known BA give priority to status members,. I was in row one of a 777 to Argentina once and when they asked me what I wanted for breakfast they told me my choice had gone. When I pointed out I was in row 1 they said they had served the left hand side of the aircraft before the right ! :-) I then asked why they asked me what I wanted if there was no choice and I got a blank stare.

Last week flying back from Madrid (BA Flight operated by IB) we were in row 2 and had no choice as BA had only loaded 8 meals for the 8 people on board and no priority given by status.
for long haul the service standard should be to collect orders, and reconcile in the galley. If there aren’t enough to give everyone their first choice, it should be prioritised on status.

in F it’s a little different due to the ability to order when you want, but if orders are being collected at the same time the same principle should apply.
T8191, wrp96, becks1 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There used to be a amount of compensation to be given if there was no meal available, I would have asked if anyone would prefer compensation to the meal.
becks1 and AnaTravel like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:02 am
Original Poster

CSM said it’s been reported and he’s fed up as it’s happening all the time.

Just quietly asked if it was his decision and he said he made the decision as people in the front row had paid extra for their seats by choosing them. I correctly him and said that gold, silver and bronze (from 7 days out) don’t need to pay. I’m not sure if he believed me!

A late lunchtime departure on a sector of this length is about the worse case scenario for being no food as I made the decision to avoid any lunch at the airport or in the lounge based solely on what I was expecting on board.

The incoming flight landed 40 mins early so there should have been ample time to find what I think is just 8 meals or at least send a test to the 8 affected passengers.

Edit. Just been given an 18g bag of Socca but mix.
bafan likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
There used to be a amount of compensation to be given if there was no meal available, I would have asked if anyone would prefer compensation to the meal.
I heard the figure if £60 mentioned when CSM was chatting to the seat behind. I personally won’t be happy with that but your suggestion is eminently sensible. I’ve flown CE many times and chosen not to eat, albeit on much shorter sectors.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If the option exists, I would buy whatever you can from the Speedbird Café, making it clear to the IFL or IFM that you want to pay, and then reclaim it. I've heard of another case (where a tray was just dropped by accident in the galley area) and BA paid up quickly and without quibble, plus a few Avios on top. If you are told this before departure then the same applies for food purchased in the terminal, photo the food and the receipt.

Not sure about LGW, but on LHR there are usually some biscuits going for those who don't take a meal.
KARFA, JD1905 and AnaTravel like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Sounds like the IFM/L should have been more proactive and had a message sent to DME to inform customers the need to self cater and what compensation they were going to offer.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If the option exists, I would buy whatever you can from the Speedbird Café, making it clear to the IFL or IFM that you want to pay, and then reclaim it. I've heard of another case (where a tray was just dropped by accident in the galley area) and BA paid up quickly and without quibble, plus a few Avios on top. If you are told this before departure then the same applies for food purchased in the terminal, photo the food and the receipt.

Not sure about LGW, but on LHR there are usually some biscuits going for those who don't take a meal.
Great tip. But on logging in, orders from the Speedbord Cafe are currently suspended.
SxMan likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Great tip. But on logging in, orders from the Speedbord Cafe are currently suspended.
That doesn't sound like you have discussed this with the IFL / IFM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.