Wiki Posts
Search

Avios on Iberia - Seat Selection

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2022, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Avios on Iberia - Seat Selection

Hi

Booked 2 x business class tickets via BA using my Avios but flying MAD-MIA on Iberia. This is not until May 2023. However, I am unable to book seats, by paying or for free. Anyone know why this might be the case? On BA website it just says, "seat selection only available at check-in" and on Iberia website, it simply says "no seats". Would I usually be able to book seats and do you know if they are free on reward tickets? The Iberia phone agent came see some "excuse" of not being able to do it as it was a US bound flight, but that sounds ridiculous. Is it maybe too early and they don't know what aircraft will fly (though saying A330, will it maybe be a 350?) ?

Secondly (and I assume the OFFICIAL answer is no) but if I buy a separate Avios reward MAD-LON, will they check me through in MIA? I know this will be a separate ticket and they don't have to but anyone with experience of this? I'd rather transit in Madrid rather than go through customs.

Thanks!

Alex
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by ekposh
Hi

Booked 2 x business class tickets via BA using my Avios but flying MAD-MIA on Iberia. This is not until May 2023. However, I am unable to book seats, by paying or for free. Anyone know why this might be the case? On BA website it just says, "seat selection only available at check-in" and on Iberia website, it simply says "no seats". Would I usually be able to book seats and do you know if they are free on reward tickets? The Iberia phone agent came see some "excuse" of not being able to do it as it was a US bound flight, but that sounds ridiculous. Is it maybe too early and they don't know what aircraft will fly (though saying A330, will it maybe be a 350?) ?

Secondly (and I assume the OFFICIAL answer is no) but if I buy a separate Avios reward MAD-LON, will they check me through in MIA? I know this will be a separate ticket and they don't have to but anyone with experience of this? I'd rather transit in Madrid rather than go through customs.

Thanks!

Alex

Have you tried going into your booking on the Iberia website using the 5 letter Iberia booking code? (should come up when you're on the BA page that transfers you to Iberia). I've had success with that in the past. BA / IB codeshare bookings do tend to be a bit buggy in my experience
jonkx likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I have not. But I don't seem to be able to get a 5 digit code anywhere. Can't see how I can transfer from BA to Iberia on the site, it seems to constantly keep me on the BA site. If I log on to Iberia with a 6 digit code, it shows that one and only that one. Any ideas?!

PS - its 125 so BA ticketed

Last edited by ekposh; Jun 21, 2022 at 10:29 am
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA board ekposh

In relation to your 2nd question Iberia will not check your bag through on a separate ticket. You could of course ask but expect a no and leave enough time to collect your bag (s) and check them in for your MAD-LON flight.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PETER01
Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA board ekposh

In relation to your 2nd question Iberia will not check your bag through on a separate ticket. You could of course ask but expect a no and leave enough time to collect your bag (s) and check them in for your MAD-LON flight.
Thanks for that. Its quite a tight connection in MAD and wouldn't fancy it with immigration. Obviously there are more flights, but using Avios for Business Class, I was hoping to jump on an A350 from Madrid to London. Not worth the risk really.

Hopefully I will get some luck with the seats! That's now the priority although I have 12 months. Just scanned other threads and there is a suggestion Iberia don't release seatmaps until 9 months prior, so perhaps it's just that. No rush I guess. Only reason I have done this btw, is the massive savings on Avios from MAD vs UK to the US. I know taxes in the UK are very high but even the Avios BA redemptions were significantly more than IB. Hard product doesn't look too bad on IB but let's see....
PETER01 and jonkx like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
IB seatmaps are not available until about 9-10 months out - IIRC they won't even load up in ExpertFlyer until then.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:44 pm

I use Malaysian Airlines website
Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:54 pm

Thanks, I have not. But I don't seem to be able to get a 5 digit code anywhere. Can't see how I can transfer from BA to Iberia on the site, it seems to constantly keep me on the BA site. If I log on to Iberia with a 6 digit code, it shows that one and only that one. Any ideas?!

PS - its 125 so BA ticketed
if you manage booking on ba.com and 'choose seat', it should take you to a page with both booking codes
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jonas123
if you manage booking on ba.com and 'choose seat', it should take you to a page with both booking codes
Thanks. Just sends me back to a BA page. I think the whole 9/10 advance thing make sense. Thanks all for your help. Does anyone know if seat selection is usually free with reward tickets? I suspect there will be a fee...
Old Jun 21, 2022, 3:12 pm

Thanks. Just sends me back to a BA page. I think the whole 9/10 advance thing make sense. Thanks all for your help. Does anyone know if seat selection is usually free with reward tickets? I suspect there will be a fee...
It is usually for Business. As others have said, MMB should give you a 5 digit Iberia booking code, which you can either enter on the Iberia website or app, or click on the link from BA. Worked for us a month ago on a July Avios booking. Maybe its the 9 or 10 month thing as you say.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL, Marriott Bonvoy TfL
I had exactly the same issues on IB flights purchased with Avios LHR-MAD-GIG and GRU-MAD-LHR. Purchased in January for December this year, neither going through MMB in the BA website and using the five digit IB code on the IB website worked initially. As BA6501 says, after a couple of months, I was able to select seats, via the IB website. No charge for me - I'm Gold, don't know if that is relevant.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:57 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I’ve also been able to use the BA PNR on the RJ.COM site to select flights on IB. Not sure how far out the flights were though
KurFTBiz likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks all - just as an update, I can book seats for my outbound, May 20th 2023. No problems in doing this on the Iberia website, which supports the theory that seat maps are released maybe 11 months in advance. No fee either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.