Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Big changes (already live) to the BA Amex 2-4-1 voucher

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Big changes (already live) to the BA Amex 2-4-1 voucher

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by dougzz
Realise I’m in omni territory here but the fares feel somewhat incidental given hotel, car hire and general food/tourism prices in the US, not helped by GBP tanking against the $.
Similar for Caribbean destinations too. The only sensibly-priced one we've found is Jamaica [which we booked on Friday, for September].
Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by dougzz
Realise I’m in omni territory here but the fares feel somewhat incidental given hotel, car hire and general food/tourism prices in the US, not helped by GBP tanking against the $.
True , cancelled our (cash) Nashville trip for later this month for these very reasons*. Was genuinely surprised about the cost of travelling in the US earlier this year on our road trip LA, San Diego, Palm Spring & Las Vegas - and of course the FX rate has been further "enhanced" since then. Going to Portugal instead.

* Plus no longer need the TPs to retain Gold.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:45 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
True , cancelled our (cash) Nashville trip for later this month for these very reasons*. Was genuinely surprised about the cost of travelling in the US earlier this year on our road trip LA, San Diego, Palm Spring & Las Vegas - and of course the FX rate has been further "enhanced" since then. Going to Portugal instead.

* Plus no longer need the TPs to retain Gold.
Our strategy is to use our 2 existing 241s and 2 upcoming ones to be earned soon, in combination with jokers, gufs and our avios stash (if/when we achieve ggl from BAH bonus tps) for our premium long haul trips next year.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
Mixed blessing, YMMV I guess. Right now we need TPs, and looking at paying horrendous fares to where we want to go. Our surviving (lost 2 already) has little prospect of being used either. BAPP Amex already downgraded.
Are you still finding enough value in Gold, given the higher prices for travel across the board? Genuine question. In your position I'd probably be happy with Silver, as TFW/GF are nice enough but not worth spending a load of extra cash on to achieve. There's the extra Avios, too I suppose but depends how valuable that is. Unless you'd be taking those trips anyway, which is a different matter. As with all things FT, YMMV.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fair questions!

For us, the ‘value’ lies in getting away on holiday to somewhere warm whilst travelling in comfort. And for that we end up paying ££££ for CE/CW. In the process, BAEC Gold usually renews anyway if we get away often enough (which we try to do). No TP runs, thank you, although a bit of creative routing may be used at times.

Would Silver be enough? I think we would miss seat selection as soon as we book. Lounges and baggage come with class of travel anyway. I hope not to find out, once I get round to booking a few more trips before next May!
gustavmahler likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 5:35 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards

Would Silver be enough? I think we would miss seat selection as soon as we book. Lounges and baggage come with class of travel anyway. I hope not to find out, once I get round to booking a few more trips before next May!
I think you get seat selection as silver when you book, with only a few seats reserved for gold (exit/bulkhead rows in wt longhaul, 1k,1a in first or cw)
Old Jun 14, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Uncle T , if you're silver you get free seat selection on flights from the time of booking for everyone on your booking excluding exit row seats on long haul flights (and we all know you dont fly economy)
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by firstlight
I think you get seat selection as silver when you book, with only a few seats reserved for gold (exit/bulkhead rows in wt longhaul, 1k,1a in first or cw)
It’s been a long time since I worried about seating! We know which seats we like in CW (type/configuration dependent!) and like our 1A/C in CE for the prompt F&B service and speedy disembarkation. Oh, these First World issues! I guess we’ve become a bit DYKWIA in our old age!!
Old Jun 14, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Seat selection is one of the most valuable Silver benefits to me, since I'm most often in Club (when I get the travel these days).
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyway … we seem to have strayed off topic, which is probably my fault!

Back to the 2-4-1 changes!
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:28 am

Talking

Originally Posted by tattikat2
FYI, my Chase Visa issued 2-4-1 voucher is now also able to be used by 1 person at 50% off.
....as previously reported in post #10.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
....as previously reported in post #10.
You are correct sir!
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
just called the GGL line (india I presume?) and chap said that under NO circumstances are 241 vouchers being extended - min eexpires soon and was earned in Dec19 - so no real chance to use it. This true? Shall I call UK in morning? Thx
Old Jun 14, 2022, 3:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Pre-pandemic the Amex (and similar) companion vouchers sponsored externally were very strict in terms of the timetable. There were some bulk extensions during the pandemic but I would now expect the status quo ante to apply.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by wanderingjock
just called the GGL line (india I presume?) and chap said that under NO circumstances are 241 vouchers being extended - min eexpires soon and was earned in Dec19 - so no real chance to use it. This true?
This is what I understand. I'm about to lose a December 2019-issued voucher myself.
wanderingjock likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.