Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Big changes (already live) to the BA Amex 2-4-1 voucher

Old Jun 13, 22, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR

If you mosey over to ba.com, you will see that two improvements to the British Airways American Express 241 companion voucher have been rolled out today.

One of these is a genuine improvement (I’m less sure about the 2nd one!). Here are the two changes:

* The companion voucher can now be used by a solo traveller to get a 50% discount on the cost of an Avios redemption

* You can now mix the percentage of Avios and cash used

These changes only apply to 2-4-1 companion vouchers issued after 1st September 2021.

The first one, clearly a response to the Barclaycard Avios Mastercards, is clearly a good thing - a no-brainer. The second one is more difficult and it really needs you to do the maths. I haven't yet found a scenario where it makes sense to change the mix of cash and Avios, and in some cases the alternative are terrible.

Here's my view: https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/0...olo-traveller/ Apparently other frequent flyer websites are available .... :-)
Old Jun 13, 22, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Good news for solo travellers, but I can't help but be suspicious about the introduction of the ability to mix and match avios and cash - it didn't turn out well for Gold Priority Rewards.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 22, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by cosmo74 View Post
Good news for solo travellers, but I can't help but be suspicious about the introduction of the ability to mix and match avios and cash - it didn't turn out well for Gold Priority Rewards.
Neither that nor RFS have been unalloyed wins for customers. Some may think that they haven't really been wins for customers at all.

Thanks to Raffles for the news.
Old Jun 13, 22, 6:08 am

Gold priority rewards being combined with 2-4-1 would seem the best win and would really make me want to stay gold!
AdBoy likes this.
Old Jun 13, 22, 6:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; M&M Silver
Good news for the solo traveller! Thanks for the info
Old Jun 13, 22, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Bronze)
Not just good news for solo travellers. We’re a family of three and at least once every couple of years I let a Companion Voucher expire as I’ve, at that point in time, no real use of it that you could be defined as worth while or making even decent value if it.

These changes will significantly alter how I look at using them and maximising their value. 2 of us on 1 CV being used in a “traditional” way, the other using one to half the amount of Avios needed.

Last edited by GlasgowBlue; Jul 12, 22 at 2:51 pm
Old Jun 13, 22, 6:57 am

Me thinks that this is a response to the hike in taxes and fees, and too many people have been downgrading the card. I certainly have. Won't be enough to tempt me back until YQ goes down dramatically.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 22, 7:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
With better availability on the new vouchers, it's a good upgrade from my point of view. It's as close to a joker as I'm ever going to get.
Old Jun 13, 22, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Dave_C View Post
Me thinks that this is a response to the hike in taxes and fees, and too many people have been downgrading the card. I certainly have. Won't be enough to tempt me back until YQ goes down dramatically.
YQ going down? Hope you have a lot of patience.
Old Jun 13, 22, 8:16 am

The ability to use the voucher to get a 50 percent Avios reduction for solo travelers has also been extended to US-based holders of the Chase/BA companion vouchers.

Solo traveller Avios discount

As there is only one passenger travelling on this booking using a BA Chase Companion Voucher, you’re entitled to a 50% discount on the Avios price you pay when booking your seat.
36902BRF and ohmark like this.
Old Jun 13, 22, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by wb1969 View Post
YQ going down? Hope you have a lot of patience.
Indeed, that's why I ditched the card as I don't believe it provides value for money any more. I did that when the grandfathered fee was about to go from £30 to £250.
contractor likes this.
Old Jun 13, 22, 8:24 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Tit/ LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold
These changes only apply to 2-4-1 companion vouchers issued after 1st September 2021.

I had a look and sure enough my most recent one was issued on the 29th of August 2021
36902BRF and jokerjokerj like this.
Old Jun 13, 22, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Mixed blessing, YMMV I guess. Right now we need TPs, and looking at paying horrendous fares to where we want to go. Our surviving (lost 2 already) has little prospect of being used either. BAPP Amex already downgraded.
dougzz likes this.
Old Jun 13, 22, 1:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
FYI, my Chase Visa issued 2-4-1 voucher is now also able to be used by 1 person at 50% off.
Old Jun 13, 22, 6:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Mixed blessing, YMMV I guess. Right now we need TPs, and looking at paying horrendous fares to where we want to go. Our surviving (lost 2 already) has little prospect of being used either. BAPP Amex already downgraded.
Realise I’m in omni territory here but the fares feel somewhat incidental given hotel, car hire and general food/tourism prices in the US, not helped by GBP tanking against the $.

Search this Thread