Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BWC ends at midnight tonight (7-JUN)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver,AA,EI&UA
KARFA, thanks for your confirmation of what I suspected.
Tried and gave up on the phone option, and instead went ahead using Avios to complete my booking before the clock timed out tonight.
Another excellent thread on this forum. Really appreciate getting the heads up on tonight's cut-off.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Is “midnight” Uk time?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 5:12 pm

I appreciate BA wishing to draw a line under this but the timing is unfortunate with ongoing cancellations and talk of a strike in mid July, before the September flight deadline for BWC flights.

Thanks to the OP for the tip-off. I've just beaten the BWC removal to cover some post Jul 11th (the earliest strike date mentioned in another thread) UK/Oz and short haul bookings with earlier reward flights (fortunately I have a huge Avios pile). I was intending to cancel or FTV these and other chaos-prompted "back-ups" in good time for BA to re-sell, but frankly with the strike threat I'm now bereft of sympathy and inclined to hang on till I'm sure I won't need to change my dates. A pity really, but with BA in apparent turmoil and impossible to contact by phone during disruptions (and imagine how that will be compounded if a strike is called), the comparatively easy "Book a Plan B + Request FTV" strategy seems a reasonable contingency for potential BA service failures till the end of September.

Last edited by Bullswood; Jun 7, 2022 at 7:17 pm
Old Jun 7, 2022, 5:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Is “midnight” Uk time?
wef 0000 BST.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 7:12 pm

Programs: Alaska, Hilton, Chase Ultimate Rewards
No More BWC?

No problem, so far as I'm concerned. I never fly to Brawley anyway.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
This creates an immediate issue for US flights, until they drop the testing requirements
Old Jun 8, 2022, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by kingcole974
This creates an immediate issue for US flights, until they drop the testing requirements
Given AA's BWC policy still stands for most international tickets (excluding the very cheapest ticket types), booking AA codeshares operated by BA may be the way to go for US trips in order to maintain some form of flexibility.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:09 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Bullswood
I appreciate BA wishing to draw a line under this but the timing is unfortunate with ongoing cancellations and talk of a strike in mid July, before the September flight deadline for BWC flights.

Thanks to the OP for the tip-off. I've just beaten the BWC removal to cover some post Jul 11th (the earliest strike date mentioned in another thread) UK/Oz and short haul bookings with earlier reward flights (fortunately I have a huge Avios pile). I was intending to cancel or FTV these and other chaos-prompted "back-ups" in good time for BA to re-sell, but frankly with the strike threat I'm now bereft of sympathy and inclined to hang on till I'm sure I won't need to change my dates. A pity really, but with BA in apparent turmoil and impossible to contact by phone during disruptions (and imagine how that will be compounded if a strike is called), the comparatively easy "Book a Plan B + Request FTV" strategy seems a reasonable contingency for potential BA service failures till the end of September.
So thats where all the domestic avios availability has gone

Last edited by PGberkshire; Jun 8, 2022 at 1:23 am
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I do not understand how it does not constitute an unfair contract term for BA to penalise pax for cancelling, when BA can cancel up to 2 weeks before departure with no financial obligations. Even after that, its obligations are capped and may bear no relation to the loss suffered by the pax.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
I do not understand how it does not constitute an unfair contract term for BA to penalise pax for cancelling, when BA can cancel up to 2 weeks before departure with no financial obligations. Even after that, its obligations are capped and may bear no relation to the loss suffered by the pax.
You buy a ticket based on BA terms and conditions....Cancellations are governed by EC/UK261....simple as that
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
you seem to be suggesting the whole basis of non refundable fares in commercial aviation is unfair?

there is no obligation for compensation if notification of cancellation is more than two weeks out. Duty of care and entitlement to be rebooked still apply tho. I have to say on the odd occasions I have got compensation it has usually exceeded any loss I have incurred.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
This is pretty much how I book all my BA flights, especially long haul. If the likes of Virgin or others offered a similar option ex DUB they’d likely get more of my business
I have a few questions about this if you don't mind.

​​​How do you book accommodation for less nights than the duration of the trip? I presume that can't be done online and only over the phone?

I assume from looking into this a little, that if you don't pay the full balance by the due date the booking cancels automatically and you lose youre deposit and there's no automatic debiting of payment card?

Finally, are you able to use different payment cards to pay the balance in chunks over time prior to the final due date?

It does in general seems quite a good way to make bookings.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
You buy a ticket based on BA terms and conditions....Cancellations are governed by EC/UK261....simple as that
Actually it is not quite as simple as that ! Those are the T&C on which one contracts. It does not make them fair. If unfair they are open to challenge.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:59 am

Actually it is not quite as simple as that ! Those are the T&C on which one contracts. It does not make them fair. If unfair they are open to challenge.
Feel free....let me know how you get on
Old Jun 8, 2022, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
you seem to be suggesting the whole basis of non refundable fares in commercial aviation is unfair?

there is no obligation for compensation if notification of cancellation is more than two weeks out. Duty of care and entitlement to be rebooked still apply tho. I have to say on the odd occasions I have got compensation it has usually exceeded any loss I have incurred.
Yes, that is exactly what I am suggesting. It is the fact that the rights and obligations are asymmetric that is the issue. Back to Hofeld and his 'jural correlatives ' and all that.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.