Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow cutting capacity

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2022, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by SW7London
Great post 13901. Appears HAL shouldn't have treated their staff so poorly, they now need to "pay the cost" so to be speak of offering greater incentives to work for them in a much more competitive labour market.

Still, I'm sure their management is compensated well ensuring they can "attract top talent" at the exec level so I'm surprised they cant seem to manage this!

Agree airlines have bought this on themselves by focusing on investors rather than customers and staff over recent years. WW and AC have been shown to be poor stewards of the airline given the challenges SD has inherited.

One thing I cant work out is the UK Government - why didnt they streamline things like background checks prior to removing travel restrictions? They knew what position they were in so this at least could have mitigated the issues somewhat. (and why didnt the airports/airlines shout about this when it was obvious the Gov wasnt preparing itself?)

One common theme here is management and leadership has been found woefully inadequate across the industry. Its not hard to manage things when economies are booming, actually having to make difficult decisions and get them right most of the time is what they are paid for and they dont appear to have this skillset.
I agree wholeheartedly with your last paragraph and if I’m allowed to mount on my personal soapbox I’d like to take your point a bit further. Being good stewards of a company - like Alex and Willie have failed to be during C19 as you point out - also means to ensure the long term viability/profitability of the company. The last few years in the industry have instead shown an unhealthy focus on short term gains. And that’s a problem. If all you and the City want is a dividend then you’re miopic to long term risks and opportunities.

As to why HMG hasn’t done more to streamline the vetting… it has to be said that a lot of the work is outsourced to the airports/airlines. The CRC piece is, I believe, either Government-owned/managed and that works OKish. Maybe they could extend the validity of a CRC to 2-3 months rather than the current 4-6 weeks, but beyond that I don’t know what they could do. It’s HAL that is the bottleneck; GAL wasn’t as bad for instance, back in the day.

Another thing, but this is WAY too smart, would be to get rid of the obligation of going through security again when transferring in from Europe or another secure origin. But it’ll never ever happen.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 6:23 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by xarantine
“We’re ready for travel to resume, please please Mr Government drop those restrictions”

🙃

Maybe try paying staff a decent wage and you’ll attract more applicants.
On Facebook people are having a proper laugh with the customer service job being adversited for 20k per year. Some of them are wondering if it is an apprenticeship and some others are 'convinced' that the job advert is part time for such a low salary...
MiraculousM, SxMan and xarantine like this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 6:31 am

Can't open the article, is it across all terminals and what hours please? Thanks
Old Jun 5, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
The largest underlying reason for this is that they laid off too many employees,

Many of those employees will have found other jobs and might well be happier without the downsides of working in an airport, especially the unsociable hours. Many of them probably have no intention of going back to an industry that dropped them whilst government support was available; something that is no doubt weighing on minds of potential new recruits as well. And yes, some will have left the country.

Once again, their boasts of 'we are ready, drop the restrictions' ring hollow. What a mess.
I think you have hit the nail on the head here – although airports and airlines probably thought that the staff they laid off would come running back at the first opportunity. Since Covid began, I’ve encountered former air transport staff who are now working all manner of fields and, as far as I can ascertain from talking to them, are quite happy in their new roles and would not dream of going back. Some seem to be delivering for the supermarkets, others even working on the checkouts, and I’ve met a few who are now working on the railway. Conclusion – airports and airlines messed up big time by treating staff so appallingly.
mrow, skiaplg, Tocsin and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by TedToToe
Presumably, this means HAL don’t have enough staff to reopen T4.
reopening next week - must have more space for queues…
TedToToe likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 12:22 pm

Programs: M&M
The curbs, which started to come into force last month, will apply to all airlines using Heathrow, with details to be decided by the Heathrow slot committee
Old Jun 5, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Am I the only person thinking that effectively QR owned IAG will be lapping this mess up (likewise Eitihad and Emirates)?

They have access to crew from SE Asia at relatively much lower remuneration - all desperate to earn again.

----- Then they could possibly afford to pay/subsidise enhanced salaries at T4 whilst T5 squirms!

And Shapps - next move with your pawn please
Old Jun 5, 2022, 12:44 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Modo
Am I the only person thinking that effectively QR owned IAG will be lapping this mess up (likewise Eitihad and Emirates)?

They have access to crew from SE Asia at relatively much lower remuneration - all desperate to earn again.

----- Then they could possibly afford to pay/subsidise enhanced salaries at T4 whilst T5 squirms!

And Shapps - next move with your pawn please
even if true, how does that help HAL with their staffing issues and the need to cut capacity as noted by the OP?
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Brexit is a massive cause of the debacle but not the only one.
EU nationals left in droves after the referendum result alone. I am in education and we lost 7 teachers 3 Irish and 4 Spanish nationals over night. Their pay was slashed in value following the £s fall. Within 2 months everyone of the 12 staff who cleaned and who came from Poland were gone. We have never been able to replace them
full and every day get people from these isles asking about work. Interviews are set up but once this is reported back to the DWP they walk away. Locals will not work in manual Labour
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
"even if true, how does that help HAL with their staffing issues and the need to cut capacity as noted by the OP?"

====== It doesn't - but as alluded IAG can break the minimum wage deadlock by paying at T4 whilst operating crew at a fraction of the cost of T5.

"And Shapps - next move with your pawn please"

And the next post 24 piles on the agony succinctly!

What A Mess

Last edited by Modo; Jun 5, 2022 at 1:58 pm
Old Jun 5, 2022, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Modo
"even if true, how does that help HAL with their staffing issues and the need to cut capacity as noted by the OP?"

====== It doesn't - but as alluded IAG can break the minimum wage deadlock by paying at T4 whilst operating crew at a fraction of the cost of T5.

"And Shapps - next move with your pawn please"

And the next post 24 piles on the agony succinctly!

What A Mess
I’m afraid you haven’t read the article at the beginning of the thread, for the problem is not with the airlines but with the airport authority.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue
https://archive.ph/gUDeT - Article here without paywall
Old Jul 27, 2022, 12:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Cent, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hilton Diam(given it though I'd never stayed in a Hilton)
MAy I ask for some collective wisdom, please? Do we think BA have now more or less confirmed the flights they are going to cancel in response to capacity restrictions, or is it changing daily? I ask as I am due to fly LHR-FRA 4th Aug, returning 7th Aug and I see some flights have been cancelled but mine are still operating. Do you think it is therefore likely they will continue to operate or is it simply impossible to predict?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by starlight
MAy I ask for some collective wisdom, please? Do we think BA have now more or less confirmed the flights they are going to cancel in response to capacity restrictions, or is it changing daily? I ask as I am due to fly LHR-FRA 4th Aug, returning 7th Aug and I see some flights have been cancelled but mine are still operating. Do you think it is therefore likely they will continue to operate or is it simply impossible to predict?
hard to predict but as those flights are in the 14 day window, you’re less likely to see any cancellations. I think you’ll be fine
Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Cent, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hilton Diam(given it though I'd never stayed in a Hilton)
Makes sense: thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.