Search

Making the most of CE/lounges

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2022, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Blue
Making the most of CE/lounges

Hi all,

I'm flying CE for the first time in years and also for the first time with my better half. We're doing EDI-LHR-DBV and the same on the return.

Neither of us have status and we're looking to get the most out of the experience. Can anyone recommend tips/tricks/useful info for us?

If it helps, we've got an early flight out of Edinburgh and around 3hrs in LHR to connect in each direction. Returning from Dubrovnik around 1140 IIRC.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Useful info - remember to use fast track for security and boarding. Lounge in EDI is a nice place to spend an hour or so.

Apart from that, not much. Keep your expectations low and you'll be pleasantly surprised! Enjoy!
JD1905, flight125, HIDDY and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stu1985
Useful info - remember to use fast track for security and boarding. Lounge in EDI is a nice place to spend an hour or so.

Apart from that, not much. Keep your expectations low and you'll be pleasantly surprised! Enjoy!
More or less what I was thinking. I personally think the biggest benefit of having lounge access is when you have a lengthy connection. So I wouldn't bother getting to EDI too early in the morning just to spend longer in the lounge...enough time to grab a coffee and quick bite is enough for me. Relax and enjoy the T5 offering.
stu1985 and TheChangingMan like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by flight125
Hi all,

I'm flying CE for the first time in years and also for the first time with my better half. We're doing EDI-LHR-DBV and the same on the return.

Neither of us have status and we're looking to get the most out of the experience. Can anyone recommend tips/tricks/useful info for us?

If it helps, we've got an early flight out of Edinburgh and around 3hrs in LHR to connect in each direction. Returning from Dubrovnik around 1140 IIRC.
Not much to add from the on topic posts above.

Not used the lounge at EDI but have heard it's pleasant.

Three hours in T5 Galleries (well, it'll be closer to 2) is more than enough time. Check where your flight is going to depart from as the lounge at B gates might be less zoo-like. If you like a glass of fizz, you'll need to wave someone down and ask for it as it's not self-serve.

There are no dress codes, travel in whatever you feel comfortable in.

No idea what the lounge situation is in DBV but the forum guide will have that info.
flight125 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
That's the second time you've made that claim today, yet I cannot recall a single person who has said that one should dress formally in an airline lounge. (Could you share some links?)
I'd say they do (or did) in the old JFK Concorde lounge. It felt quite formal, business-like and full of people in suits and similar, both the times I was in the lounge. The LHR Concorde room felt more relaxed in comparison.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Hi all,

It depends what you are looking for

For some people "making the most of the lounge" is necking as much champers as possible.For me thats just a way of risking a denied boarding.

For me its finding somewhere away from the throng of the airport where I can sit and chill in relative comfort for 45 minutes before my flight

I'd suggest getting to EDI about 90 minutes to 2 hours before the flight, then you can make your way through check in and security without any stress as you have enough time should tehre be any queues

In the lounge, a snac and something to drink. If EDI is like Glasow there is self service alcohol but if you want a champagne you need to ask someone.

At LHR after the EDI flight its an easy transit, no security, just go up the domestic transit stairs. You come out in departures more or less under the North lounge. With 3 hours personally I would go to the lounge in B knowing that I have plenty of time to walk back to A if thats where my flight end up leaving from, and I am comfortable with the way back (do not use the transit train to get back, tahtw oudl introduce a world of issues).

Otherwise pick the north or south lounge, chill, nibble, have a drink, but leave enough room for the dining you will get on yoyr CE flight. as a band 4 I tend to find the catering on board in CE good.

Last edited by scottishpoet; Jun 3, 2022 at 10:18 am
Old Jun 3, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
It depends what you are looking for

For some people "making the most of the lounge" is necking as much champers as possible.For me thats just a way of risking a denied boarding.

For me its finding somewhere away from the throng of the airport where I can sit and chill in relative comfort for 45 minutes before my flight

I'd suggest getting to EDI about 90 minutes to 2 hours before the flight, then you can make your way through check in and security without any stress as you have enough time should tehre be any queues

In the lounge, a snac and something to drink. If EDI is like Glasow there is self service alcohol but if you want a champagne you need to ask someone.

At LHR after the EDI flight its an easy transit, no security, just go up the domestic transit stairs. You come out in departures more or less under the North lounge. With 3 hours personally I would go to the lounge in B knowing that I have plenty of time to walk back to A if thats where my flight end up leaving from, and I am comfortable with the way back (do not use the transit train to get back, tahtw oudl introduce a world of issues).

Otherwise pick the north or south lounge, chill, nibble, have a drink, but leave enough room for the dining you will get on yoyr CE flight. as a band 4 I tend to find the catering on board in CE good.
this, but I think Croatia is band 3, so maybe slightly smaller meal.

but you’ll get

lounge food in Scotland
small snack /meal on flight to LHE
lounge food
midsized meal to Croatia

so plenty of catering
flight125 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 12:39 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Moderator note

Folks, some disruptive, off-topic diversions have had to be removed.

Always worth pausing to identify bone fide first-time questions from low-post-count FT members before jumping in and trashing their thread.
omk298, flight125, SKT-DK and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
this, but I think Croatia is band 3, so maybe slightly smaller meal.

but you’ll get

lounge food in Scotland
small snack /meal on flight to LHE
lounge food
midsized meal to Croatia

so plenty of catering
a yes sorry, band 3, but still the band 3 food is usually good.
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
Three hours in T5 Galleries (well, it'll be closer to 2) is more than enough time. Check where your flight is going to depart from as the lounge at B gates might be less zoo-like. If you like a glass of fizz, you'll need to wave someone down and ask for it as it's not self-serve.
Champagne is now self-serve in T5 Galleries Club (unless something has changed in the last fortnight) so no need to do this anymore! Off a domestic, you can be in Galleries in T5A about 5 minutes after leaving the plane so long as the domestic connections line isn’t too big, so you should get most of your 3 hours.
fluffymitten and BA850 like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by sigma421
Champagne is now self-serve in T5 Galleries Club (unless something has changed in the last fortnight) so no need to do this anymore! Off a domestic, you can be in Galleries in T5A about 5 minutes after leaving the plane so long as the domestic connections line isn’t too big, so you should get most of your 3 hours.
Champagne confirmed as available to pour yourself

I would just maximize time in lounges and have several bubbles in the plane - crew will be very happy to provide you with refills, don't be hesitant to go to the galley in case you've run out (and many time I came back to my seat with two bottles in hand).

I remember my first flight in a premium class - it was a very special experience. In my family - fully working class - flying was always a very special and rare thing and once I sat down for the first time in Business (I think I was 30 years old after finally earning some money which allowed it) it was like.... ahhhhhh
Old Jun 3, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Hi all,

I second the suggestions to visit the 5B lounge at Heathrow with a three hour connection - there is an excellent thread on this forum where there are directions to this lounge via the mystical tunnel, which is a fun experience too. EDI is a nice lounge too; it doesn’t have much food but it’s a relaxing space. I hope you enjoy your flights, it’s always a thrill to travel in business, especially when airports are busy and you can use the priority security lanes and check in desks.
mikeyfly and flight125 like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 6:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by sigma421
Oh fab news! Should I get bumped down to Silver, I now know better
Old Jun 4, 2022, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
One useful tip: If you'd like to keep hold of your Champagne during landing, ask the crew for a plastic cup (glasses must be collected, unfortunately). More often than not, they'll offer one pro-actively, but just in case they don't!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.