Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Staff Tattoo Policy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2022, 4:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
After having read through this thread so far in its entirety, I do hope - sorry, outright demand that BA matches VS, so that some of the previously commented members will get a dose of reality and what's broadly acceptable in the 2020's.

Visible tattoos would be the smallest possible issue with any cabin service or in-flight experience. It's much more of a pity, if great, potential crew members can't make it due to e.g. having the name of their first child on their wrist. I personally don't want to have any tattoos and it's not my thing, but I certainly don't come to FT and display aghast at the level some here have. It's interesting how some seem to associate tattoos with poor customer service or a less premium experience. Looking neat and tidy is relevant, but a "no tattoos" policy surely isn't what sets service a part from FR or U2.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 4:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I don't have any tattoos but one of my ex colleagues, now mid 30s, had many tattoos including on his hands, arms and neck. I was never a fan of tattoos at all BUT my view over the years has changed and I see many of them as now artistic and nice to look at, even a talking point. His certainly were.

As long as there's nothing offensive then I certainly have no objection if BA ever did implement such a policy. And we have to remember say amongst every 10 crew members how many are likely to be covered in visible tattoos? 1, possibly 2?

Anyhow, going back to my ex-colleauge in a customer facing role and honestly, a nicer guy you couldn't meet. Professional, polite, a very hard worker, proportionate sense of humour and always immaculately groomed. His smile could disarm most members of the public to whom he loyally served and his only aim was to provide a top quality service.

If BA ever did change their policy then the question I or anyone else might ask is " Would that stop me flying BA?"

For me personally it wouldn't even come into the equation but I appreciate for others it might but I expect it would only be a tiny minority.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
The thing with tattoos is that they can look great when on young people but when they become, shall we say, the older generation when the skin is not so smooth they look absolutely awful.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 6:41 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Visible tattooed folks are the kind you see at a bar/dive bar/airport lounge bar or your overpriced coffee shop trying to sell you inflated products. It's always been like this and will remain like this. The only other time you see tattooed folks on a plane are passengers.

They don't belong in premium service in the sky for J or F. No matter how 'woke' you are.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
I am very much in a minority here but I think those individuals look dreadful. We all have different ideas of what we find acceptable from people in a service environment. Does it affect their ability to do their job...nope... of course not. Would I be OK being served down my local by somebody with such tattoos.... yeah no problem. Is it going to impact my choice of airline if one allows such tattoos & the other not.... probably not. I just don't think it creates the right image for an airline. I fully respect that for others its perfectly fine.

I'm probably just getting old!!
Old Jun 3, 2022, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Visible tattooed folks are the kind you see at a bar/dive bar/airport lounge bar or your overpriced coffee shop trying to sell you inflated products. It's always been like this and will remain like this. The only other time you see tattooed folks on a plane are passengers.

They don't belong in premium service in the sky for J or F. No matter how 'woke' you are.
How about fatties? Or the ugly? Can they work in the “upper classes” or do they belong in steerage, dishing out slop to the unwashed masses?
choosethedrew and PAL62V like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 7:43 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
You are aware that nearly every airline has physical requirements in order to become a flight attendant? This is exactly the same reason you don't see any of the kind you quoted below whenever you fly Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, etc. They never pass the Airline physical requirement with those criteria. Tell me the last time you saw an FA that describes the kind you described below.

Stop trying to make something happen that will never happen no matter how woke society is.

Originally Posted by 13901
How about fatties? Or the ugly? Can they work in the “upper classes” or do they belong in steerage, dishing out slop to the unwashed masses?
Old Jun 3, 2022, 7:45 am

You are aware that nearly every airline has physical requirements in order to become a flight attendant? This is exactly the same reason you don't see any of the kind you quoted below whenever you fly Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, etc. They never pass the Airline physical requirement with those criteria. Tell me the last time you saw an FA that describes the kind you described below.

Stop trying to make something happen that will never happen no matter how woke society is.
And the ugly?
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:10 am
formerly JackDann

This thread has made me want to get tattoos and don my finest tracksuit next time I fly F.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:31 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by KARFA
Not sure about discriminatory, but is rather bizarre to stereotype and say gay men are less likely to have such tattoos. A trip to Chariots may change your mind on that!

Darling, I’ve been to Chariots donkeys years ago. On my hen night no less! We knew that we’d have a fabulous time and be as safe as houses!

OK, the other day we had a Cabin Crew member. Complete with earrings and an allure that RuPaul would give her eye teet to master, he was an excellent cabin crew member. He my have been tattooed on bits of him that you might make you blush if I mention them. I could not see them. Am I bigoted? I’d like to think not, but I have long believed that people serving the public should rise to the standards set, not the other way around. Do I take umbrage at people’s tattoos? Absolutely not.

I do happen to wonder what happens when with time they wished that they had not done this. I actually was in a hairdressers having my hair done. The hair salon shared a porch with a Tattoo parlour next door. A man suddenly appeared and started talking to my stylist. She stopped as he had asked her how the name Caitlín. He had a client who had come in wanting the name etched on his arm as it was his new born niece. I said that there were several different possibilities. The stylist said that she had read a book and it was spelt with a C rather than a K. I simply could not believe that someone could be so stupid as to come out and have such a procedure without first checking. I assumed that his sister, the mother, must’ve changed the poor child’s name spelling toward ever her brother had gone and done. We are not in cut-and-paste territory here. Just my 2p worth.
T8191 and KARFA like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JackDann
This thread has made me want to get tattoos and don my finest tracksuit next time I fly F.
works for me
Flying Yazata likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: BA, KLM, Alitalia
Wow a lot of offended people here. Sorry that I offend you so much when I'm travelling in first or business. Sorry that your grinding your teeth and tut tutting on the inside when I move through the cabin. Sorry that you hate me for having tattoos and spoiling your party of pretend decency. Real shame you hate me when serving me, despite that I always treat the crew with much respect and politeness.
Seems i'm far to nice thinking that people would have evolved beyond judging a book by it's cover in 2022. Next time in the concorde room I will look out for you when I walk by on my sneakers and anger you for being there not wearing a suit or casual business clothes. I will look out if I can spot you fuming.
I'm a very nice person, generous and kind hearted, respectful and full of humor. Worked very hard, take good care of my people. loyal to my wife and friends.. Shame you won't bother to get to know me because of your hate for people not fitting in your fantasy of who is decent and who isn't.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 9:15 am

Passengers tattoos are something of an irrelevance to a discussion of whether visible tattoos are apt for BA. Tattoos do not offend me in any way shape or form but I'm of an age where, along with other things, may give me an initial impression of someone. Irrespective of that I judge people on how they act not what they look like or who they think they are.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:47 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Passengers tattoos are something of an irrelevance to a discussion of whether visible tattoos are apt for BA. Tattoos do not offend me in any way shape or form but I'm of an age where, along with other things, may give me an initial impression of someone. Irrespective of that I judge people on how they act not what they look like or who they think they are.

Of course passenger tattoos are relevant.

Do we have standards or not and are they relevant to a passenger cabin. If the answer is anything goes than it's time to end the thread or a least list your favorite standards to be enforced om passengers and crew
Old Jun 3, 2022, 11:23 am

I saw and enjoyed the service received from people on the “plump” side of the body shape on British Airways. Ditto for people with more of an advanced age than one is “normally” accustomed to for the profession. They all could pass the safety drills, otherwise they wouldn’t have been there. EK, QR can keep their fat police - which exists, at least on Emirates - and I have no inclination to fly on either airline.

I like BA for being inclusive to different “body shapes” as well as ages; just last week I had a great flight with a crew member who joined after a career in the Met, for instance. I wish BA extended the same openness to people with tattoos.
u01sss3 and fransknorge like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.