Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Staff Tattoo Policy

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2022, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Staff Tattoo Policy

It appears Virgin announced today they have relaxed their tattoo policy and hence don't need to be covered up. This is to they can "bring their true selves to work and to the skies, and to take pride in what makes them special".

I must admit I have never seen airline staff do this on any airline have flown even the LCC's. Then again I do like a good tattoo when done right even though I don't have one myself.

What are the chances of BA following suit on this and what are FT's thoughts on such a change if they did?
Old May 31, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
chrisny2 likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC
Good for them. I couldnt care less whether the crew on my flight had tattoos, I care about the service.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by xarantine
Good for them. I couldn’t care less whether the crew on my flight had tattoos, I care about the service.
fair point of view.

would it bother you if they were in flip flops, jeans, and a vest?

where do you draw the line between individual expression and how an airline wishes it's employees to be presented to the public? or would you say there aren't really any limits anymore and they can present themselves as they wish as far as you are concerned?

if we are re-drawing the lines, i am just curious where people think they should be these days.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA

where do you draw the line between individual expression and how an airline wishes it's employees to be presented to the public?
This is a genuinely interesting question and I imagine you can ask three frequent flyers and get five answers.

I think a uniform is good from a safety perspective (in an incident you know that the people who look like X are in charge) and a branding/professionalism perspective.

However that doesnt mean that expressions of individuality need be forbidden - tattoos, neon hair, etc can be incorporated just fine. Id be a hypocrite to suggest otherwise given my hair is currently forest green
Old May 31, 2022, 2:13 pm
formerly JackDann

fair point of view.

where do you draw the line between individual expression and how an airline wishes it's employees to be presented to the public? or would you say there aren't really any limits anymore and they can present themselves as they wish as far as you are concerned?

if we are re-drawing the lines, i am just curious where people think they should be these days.
I dont care how theyre dressed either. As long as they are polite and the service is good then thats all that matters for me.

I wouldnt want to be judged on what I wear and how I look, therefore id be a hypocrite if I felt differently towards others.
Kgmm77, LETTERBOY, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
One area I am interested in is how long it will be until someone is offended by a tatoo (be it another staff member or a passenger) a member of staff is displaying. Could be a body part, a political leader, a religous or political symbol or statement, or maybe even a football club crest
Old May 31, 2022, 2:41 pm
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
One area I am interested in is how long it will be until someone is offended by a tatoo (be it another staff member or a passenger) a member of staff is displaying. Could be a body part, a political leader, a religous or political symbol or statement, or maybe even a football club crest
In some service facing roles I worked in back in the earlier 00s the company line was Tattoos that could be deemed Offensive must be covered. This included Political, Football etc. I would have thought that this will be the same sort of thing that airlines will adopt to be honest. Although id imagine that there will be a grey area aswell.
LETTERBOY and DeathSlam like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze; HHonors; ClubCarlson
Another good reason not to fly Virgin.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I think tattoos are absolutely disgusting and I never like seeing them on anyone or anything.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Clestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
fair point of view.

Clothes are not permanently attached to the body so it's really not the same. I think this is the right call by Virgin, the airline industry has long been lazily narrow-minded when it comes to appearance (i.e. tattoos / some hairstyles / piercings / beards and so on being weirdly perceived as incompatible with service orientation or indicating some kind of wild rebel) when, in fact, many of the things they prohibited crossed over into the mainstream some 20 years ago and many of the passengers look like that too! I'm glad, and think these kind of very narrow prescriptions deserve to go the same way as banning women from wearing trousers or making them wear heels.
Bear96, FlyingCow, oh_lol and 7 others like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
Can they do the job? Can they keep me safe in an emergency? Can they give me a great experience to help my travel start/finish in a great way?

If the answer is yes, I couldn't care what they were wearing, or how they were dressed, or if they had tattoos, piercings, or chose to turn up for work wearing nothing but a giant nappy for all I care.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Clothes are not permanently attached to the body so it's really not the same.
fair point, but it's all part of your presentation.

the rules at choosethedrew airways () would be clear narrow-ish rules on uniform (albeit taking your point that they shouldn't be unduly restrictive based on the examples you give), but anything goes when it comes to tattoos, hair, nails, piercings, beards etc.? or would there be anything you think wouldn't be acceptable?
Old May 31, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by JackDann
In some service facing roles I worked in back in the earlier 00s the company line was Tattoos that could be deemed Offensive must be covered. This included Political, Football etc. I would have thought that this will be the same sort of thing that airlines will adopt to be honest. Although id imagine that there will be a grey area aswell.
So now only some people are allowed to "bring their true selves to work and to the skies, and to take pride in what makes them special" then??
nancypants, AnaTravel and astra19e like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by jimlad48
If the answer is yes, I couldn't care what they were wearing, or how they were dressed, or if they had tattoos, piercings, or chose to turn up for work wearing nothing but a giant nappy for all I care.
when BA allow the cabin crew to wear giant nappies, i nominate you as a mod for the day to deal with the carnage that would ensue on this board

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.