Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights to Italy and masks

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2022, 1:21 pm

I have a N95 mask, does it fit the requirement?
Old May 31, 2022, 1:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

When i flew to/from Italy on BA last month, crews handed out FFP2 masks when we boarded
stevebintley likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 1:36 pm

BA don’t check whether the mask is FFP2 or not. On all of my flights to/from Italy since Christmas or thereabouts when this rule was brought in, I’ve only been on one BA flight where the crew themselves were compliant with the rule, on all of the other ones the crew were wearing the non compliant surgical type masks. On all of these flights the crew were handing out non compliant masks to passengers who didn’t have a mask or had a fabric mask. Very few people were wearing FFP2 or 3.

Italian public transport (eg Trenitalia) does enforce this rule a bit more but less on regionale services.
stevebintley likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by docdee
The FFP2 masks from Boots are horrible! They pull your ears off.

I got a couple from Screwfix, ffp2 ones
Straps go round back of head not on ears

Might not be medical ones but they have FFP2 printed on them, don't know what the difference is
Between them and ones from boots

Cost about 60p each if I remember
Old May 31, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by eanamule
Yes it should.
Old May 31, 2022, 1:42 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by eanamule
Yes.
Old May 31, 2022, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
You got lucky - I have flown FRA-FCO om LH and LHR-FCO on ITA and all were enforcing masks - this is in the last 3 weeks

Also, Italy is removing ALL entry requirements later tonight midnight (Green pass) : https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022...-uk-passengers

Though mask use where it has been required is STILL in force till end of day June 15 and was NOT adjusted. The entry requirements were only in force till May 31st and they choose to not renew them. The mask use was until June 15 and they will likely let this expire at the date the legislation was written to.
This is excellent information concerning the entry requirements being discontinued as we are departing to Milan next Monday (arriving MXP on June 7). We are both vaccinated for CV-19 and will have our proof of this with us. And to confirm, I take it we will now not be required to undergo a PCR or rapid antigen test either prior to departing from New York City or upon arrival into MXP.

Last edited by jlemon; May 31, 2022 at 3:47 pm
Old May 31, 2022, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Titanium
We flew to Bologna last Saturday. Crew were asking people to put on masks when boarding, and mentioned it was meant to be FFP2. However, they only had a supply of surgical masks, and said to a few people that it might cause a problem on arrival. They also did not bother advising those wearing non-compliant cloth masks.

I don’t think any of the airport staff in Italy actually did enforce anything - by the time we were through to baggage there were lots of Italians with no masks at all.

There is still a bit more mask wearing in general out and about than in the UK, but only still a rule on public transport.
Old May 31, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
FWIW I've flown AA, BA and IB to and from FCO in the past few months and the cabin crews never seemed to care whether one's mask was an FFP2 or a surgical one. I always wore a surgical mask and carried an FFP2 in my back pocket just in case, but I have never needed to use it.
Old May 31, 2022, 3:32 pm

LHR to PSA Monday 30th May they were giving out “surgical” ones on boarding and they appeared to be enforcing the mask wearing. This was the availability in WH Smith T3
Old May 31, 2022, 3:49 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Always use the surgical KN95/N95 masks. They are the most effective and right to ensure 1) you don't get yourself sick 2) follow airline rules 3) you don't get yourself sick.
Old May 31, 2022, 5:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
You got lucky - I have flown FRA-FCO om LH and LHR-FCO on ITA and all were enforcing masks - this is in the last 3 weeks

Also, Italy is removing ALL entry requirements later tonight midnight (Green pass) : https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022...-uk-passengers

Though mask use where it has been required is STILL in force till end of day June 15 and was NOT adjusted. The entry requirements were only in force till May 31st and they choose to not renew them. The mask use was until June 15 and they will likely let this expire at the date the legislation was written to.
Great news. We travel to Italy on 16th June!
Old May 31, 2022, 5:46 pm

Programs: BA Exec
Just to add to the chorus of people that have flown to Italy recently .

I fly frequently to Milan on BA and although face masks are required, BA crew are not specifically enforcing the type of mask worn; as others have said, they are handing out surgical masks, and most people on my flights to Milan have been wearing surgical masks not FFP2.

I‘m not suggesting breaking of rules, just passing on my observations over the last few weeks of flying to/from Italy.

Airport staff in Malpensa are not enforcing mask wearing at all.
Old May 31, 2022, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by Stormbel
Great news. We travel to Italy on 16th June!
As someone who has worked on cabin air systems for a specific aircraft mfr - my suggestion is still to be masked in the jetbridge and until a few mins after climb out. All the talk of HEPA filtering: None of it works with ground air or minimal APU power with sub-par AC pack perf and to be honest - the WORST place in an airport to be close to others is the jetbridge if it's backed up and in the aircraft a until a few mins after both engines have been running (and AC pack and airflow actually pushed through HEPA filters) - I get some people will find my post as "alarmist" - but no-one I know who has worked on cabin systems in aircraft is doing anything but this. On disembarkment, follow the same, if you want to take the masks off in the terminal, your call, but deborading and jetbridge again, be masked
Old Jun 1, 2022, 1:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Flew to Pisa over the weekend. Masks were required when boarding, and surgical ones were available at the gate if necessary. Instruction was given to wear them throughout the flight but many pulled them down once onboard and there was no serious attempt to enforce the rule. At Pisa airport, very few people wore them at all, and the airport staff did not seem to care about that.
stevebintley likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.