Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you stand by for F

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2022, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Flight cancellation, downgrade etc

Good morning - or whatever time zone applies to the reader.

This should possibly go under the 261 thread - but then maybe not. I am looking for advice on who owes me what.

Yesterday (29th) I was booked to fly DXB-LHR-ATL in First - "A" booking code. At the time I bought the ticket, the business class fare for the same itinerary was about $2000 MORE than First. The flight numbers were BA 108 and BA 227 and constituted the return flights of a ticket.

We boarded 227 and deplaned about a movie later due to a malfunctioning air conditioning unit. They said we would get a replacement aircraft and leave about 4 hours after original scheduled time. I was in 1A and a smiled at the captain and asked him if he really thought I should believe that. He smiled back and said "I appreciate your sense for realism". Shortly thereafter the flight was rescheduled to 22:00 which clearly wasn't going to happen since immigration would be closed.

So walked back from B gates to A (to avoid going through security again) and went to CCR. Since I had to be in Miami Monday afternoon - I asked if I could be flying to MIA instead. So they put me on AA39 as BA 1520 (i think - whatever the BA flight number for AA39 is). I was confirmed in F (now with an F fare code). While this was happening, BA 227 was now scheduled to leave 24h after the originally scheduled time. They made us go to Gate A9 where they gave me a voucher for the Sofitel and off I went.

This morning I woke up to AA 39 being cancelled and I am now booked on BA 209 in J since F is full.

So EU/UK 261 should apply - but what about the downgrade? Technically my First ticket was cheaper then Business class. At the same time I went from first to a crappy (all the decent ones were taken) J seat on an A380.

Any advice appreciated.
Old May 30, 2022, 3:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Downgrades are part of EU261, with the compensation being 75% of the applicable fare for flights on this distance.
How much the class you've been downgraded to was when the ticket was purchased doesn't matter.
Old May 30, 2022, 3:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flying_geek
This morning I woke up to AA 39 being cancelled and I am now booked on BA 209 in J since F is full.

So EU/UK 261 should apply - but what about the downgrade? Technically my First ticket was cheaper then Business class. At the same time I went from first to a crappy (all the decent ones were taken) J seat on an A380.
This is purely EC261. I would say you are in scope for the delay cancellation, that seems straightforward. The MIA rebook, that also seems to stand alone, the problem being that it's an AA service so you would chase that with AA who will almost certainly bounce you back to BA as the ticketer. I can see it may take some effort to get the Mennen's formula on this though to my mind the elegibility is not in question. You can use YouFirst to help with this but it may take some time to resolve. I note that the ATL service is still planned for today and has 1A and 2A available.

Old May 30, 2022, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Can you stand by for F

I have an F ticket that got downgraded to J due to a cancellation. The flight is in a little under 3 hours and the seat map has two F seats unassigned. The flight shows F0 - but what if someone doesn't show up. Is there a stand by list and if so, how does one get on it? (BA 209 today). BA is the ticketing carrier - was an AA 39 which got cancelled.
SxMan likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I just got an email from AA that I got an $800 flight credit. Doesn't specify what for - but have nothing else going on right now so must be related to the cancelled AA39 flight.
Old May 30, 2022, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Bar exception, BA typically does not do standbys, but there is nothing preventing you from asking again at check in and explaining the problem you were affected by.
Old May 30, 2022, 6:06 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Probably too late based on the OP's original post timings but, yes, BA can apply standby status against a booking - it's not something they proactively offer - it's by request and even then only when they choose to.
Old May 30, 2022, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Probably too late based on the OP's original post timings but, yes, BA can apply standby status against a booking - it's not something they proactively offer - it's by request and even then only when they choose to.
Thanks. I did ask in the CCR and I guess they chose not to...

the flight ended up being 75 min delayed - but finally took off...
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Thanks. I did ask in the CCR and I guess they chose not to ...
If I have got the correct flight, the F cabin went out full.
Code:
Seat Map Search:
Departing LHR on 30/05/22 for MIA
Flying BA flight 209 in First

A       E   F       K   
1       -                   -       
2       -       -   -       -       
3       -       -   -       -       
4       -       -   -       -       
        A       E   F       K
Old May 30, 2022, 10:12 am
Original Poster

You got the right flight. That said, at 12:40 (50 min before scheduled departure) expert flyer showed one seat open - maybe someone else had more luck.

In the end the seat next to me remained empty which helps. little low on storage in J if you don't have at least the side bins
Old May 30, 2022, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
You got the right flight. That said, at 12:40 (50 min before scheduled departure) expert flyer showed one seat open - maybe someone else had more luck.
There's a myriad of possible reasons why someone else might have been allocated that seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.