Wiki Posts
Search

BA 286 SFO LHR A380 Diverted

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2022, 10:27 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by pt flyer
I am going to be honest. I don't want dogs and cats in the cabin unless they are actual service animals. I don't want them dying in the hold either. A dog or cat really does not need to go on vacation with his/her owner. The plane is full of people who have paid for their seats and expect to be able to fly without a pet infringing on their area or their allergies. Rarely have I seen responsible pet owners. They often break the airline rules and pull their pets out of the designated carriers. One of my favorites was the women who opened the tray table and put her pet upon it.

I will admit that moving house long distances can make flying a pet a necessity and I can accept that when this happens and is done responsibly. I don't think that your pet should be valued more than the person sitting next to you on the plane.

I realize that this will not be a popular viewpoint with some, but I believe it is a viewpoint shared by many
+1

It's popular with me
Old May 26, 2022, 11:10 pm

I had very good experience with LHR and BA with my cat when moving abroad for work so not surprised they made this decision, glad the dogs are OK!

I took my cats in the cabin on KLM on the way home (ferry into the UK) as shipping humans let alone pet cargo at the height of the pandemic was tricky!!

They were fine but we were 50 people on a 787 with virtually no service and one of only two flights out of Changi T1 that night, I think they'd have been much happier in the hold on a full flight to be honest.
Old May 27, 2022, 12:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Confus
I’ve seen the BA memo on it, nothing I wrote was unfair, untrue or inappropriate.
Maybe not to them or you, but evidently to others.
DYKWIA, Kgmm77 and Stormbel like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 1:30 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Well done BA. Kudos to the captain for diverting. The right decision. Undoubtedly inconvenient for passengers who missed connections but I would much rather be a few hours late than see any animal suffer.

I trust passengers accept this was truly extraordinary and don't pursue any EC261 claim. I'm sure BA will have tried to resolve the missed connections for those who were affected.
Old May 27, 2022, 1:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by AJA_
Well done BA. Kudos to the captain for diverting. The right decision. Undoubtedly inconvenient for passengers who missed connections but I would much rather be a few hours late than see any animal suffer.

I trust passengers accept this was truly extraordinary and don't pursue any EC261 claim. I'm sure BA will have tried to resolve the missed connections for those who were affected.
Whilst I agree with your sentiments, defective heating in the hold is not an extraordinary circumstance and this could very well expose BA to EC261 liability.
Old May 27, 2022, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b068896742.gif

Glad to see no need for this…

(apologies etc)

Last edited by Prospero; May 29, 2022 at 7:39 am Reason: convert animated gif to link, per FT rules
Old May 27, 2022, 1:54 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver

Customers are paying hundreds if not thousands to airlines when it comes to transfer theirs pets from one destination to another. Airlines are responsible for their health and safety during the transfer. I assume there was some kind of system failure on the plane and the temperature became too high or something similar. That’s usually the airline’s fault and has nothing to do with extraordinary circumstances.
N1120A likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Whilst I agree with your sentiments, defective heating in the hold is not an extraordinary circumstance and this could very well expose BA to EC261 liability.
I stand corrected. I do hope that passengers give BA a break on this and don't claim. I personally wouldn't claim.
Bullswood, Tobias-UK and DelTroon like this.

Last edited by AJA_; May 27, 2022 at 2:47 am
Old May 27, 2022, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I guess from BA's perspective it's a case of dammed if you do and dammed if you dont.
toothy likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 2:29 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
There are quite steep fines relating to animal welfare which apply to airlines. The crew took the right decision here, full credit to them. Heathrow has a veterinary centre as I recall and systems in place to handle animal transport and it necessarily only works with animals in the hold. That is also part of the quarantine system. It all works quite seamlessly, if not cheaply as I found may years ago when we brought our dog in. On international flights you will not find pets in the cabin for the UK, however on domestic to places like the channel islands be ready to sit next to a big slobbering beast! From the web site below, each year about 22,000 dogs and cats, 400 horses, 100,000 reptiles, 1,000 birds and 28 million fish are imported through Heathrow Airport. I guess the horses may travel in F.

Heathrow Animal Reception Centre
The _Banking_Scot and wrp96 like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 2:42 am

I stand corrected. I do hope that passengers give BA a break on this and don't claim. I personally wouldn't.
Each to their own. I wouldn’t give BA or any other big airline/company a break when I can get some of my money back. Will BA give me a break if I arrived 10 minutes late after the check in closed or something similar? I doubt.
Old May 27, 2022, 3:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Agent69
I guess from BA's perspective it's a case of dammed if you do and dammed if you dont.
Not really, I think everyone is in agreement that diversion was the right decision.

The cost of the potential EU261 claims and diversion costs would pale in comparison to the bad publicity and lost business following a Daily Fail headline screaming about the avoidable death of two dogs. Not to mention the potential impact on the crew, knowing their actions had led to that outcome.
nancypants and MatJarosz like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by ermis177
Each to their own. I wouldn’t give BA or any other big airline/company a break when I can get some of my money back. Will BA give me a break if I arrived 10 minutes late after the check in closed or something similar? I doubt.
Would you prefer that BA didn't divert and the animals died? Because that's the logical conclusion of what would happen if every passenger did the same as you and claimed for the delay. BA can't win.

I applaud the captain's actions even more in light of the potential extra cost to BA paying out EC claims in addition to the cost of diverting in the first place.. It shows they care about every living soul on board.

I realise it's not identical but I treat this the same as a potential medical emergency on board which results in the aircraft being diverted.
Old May 27, 2022, 3:19 am

Would you prefer that BA didn't divert and the animals died? Because that's the logical conclusion of what would happen if every passenger did the same as you and claimed for the delay. BA can't win.
I am sorry but how did you come to this conclusion? BA has the responsibility to make sure the animals are safe and well. Passengers are paying £££ for this. BA on this occasion failed to do so. Of course BA did the right thing to divert but mistakes have consequences. If, IF it’s BA’s fault then I don’t see why passengers should not apply for compensation
thijsseh and N1120A like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by ermis177
I am sorry but how did you come to this conclusion? BA has the responsibility to make sure the animals are safe and well. Passengers are paying £££ for this. BA on this occasion failed to do so. Of course BA did the right thing to divert but mistakes have consequences. If, IF it’s BA’s fault then I don’t see why passengers should not apply for compensation
Because you replied to me earlier by saying:

"Each to their own. I wouldn’t give BA or any other big airline/company a break when I can get some of my money back. Will BA give me a break if I arrived 10 minutes late after the check in closed or something similar?"

This says to me you wouldn't give BA a break if you were a passenger on the affected flight.

You've even reiterated in your latest reply that you believe passengers have a right to claim for the delay. Only now you concede the airline did the right thing regarding the welfare of the dogs.

I would say BA did not fail in their responsibility for the welfare of the dogs. In fact they did exactly the right thing. They also did not fail to get the passengers to LHR. I would much rather be delayed a few hours and not let the dogs die.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.