Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy own alcohol and food from Pret for consumption on board

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy own alcohol and food from Pret for consumption on board

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500
I knew I'd read it here, but I didn't know it was only BACF, I thought it applied to mainline as well. Mea culpa.
Highlife magazine has for a number of years (pre-pandemic) contained wording to say that you shouldn’t consume your own booze onboard so maybe that’s where you saw it. However that wording seems to have been dropped from the most recent issue.
Old May 24, 2022, 1:09 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by volar
Highlife magazine has for a number of years (pre-pandemic) contained wording to say that you shouldn’t consume your own booze onboard so maybe that’s where you saw it. However that wording seems to have been dropped from the most recent issue.
That was added during the parts of the pandemic where alcohol was restricted.
Old May 24, 2022, 1:32 pm

Consuming your own alcohol *is* permitted onboard. However, crew reserve the right to confiscate it should behaviour become disruptive. There are also further actions we can take. It’s also worth noting that being drunk onboard an aircraft is an offence.
Not that these will apply to the OP, I’m sure they are wholly responsible.
Old May 24, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
That was added during the parts of the pandemic where alcohol was restricted.
it was definitely there before the pandemic. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32024193-post137.html for example.

However I note and believe what MFCC says.
Old May 24, 2022, 4:04 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by deviant1966
Hi All, we were browsing the highlife pre order food and drink for short haul economy and have come to realise what a rip off it is. Pret at Heathrow sell fabulous food for takeaway along with little 2 glass bottles of wine and plastic glasses. Question is, is it ok to enjoy this onboard or are the crew going to be upset about it?
Giver!
Pro tip for staying under the radar: Just wait until the drinks have been served. Ask for water so you can have one of their glasses to drink from. And be careful asking for straight ice. That will raise suspicions. Always ask for ice water if you want ice.
Old May 24, 2022, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Duck1981
When my clients only pay Economy flights (like tonight to DXB) I regularly steal a few Heineken from the lounge and consume them on board.

Of course only after the drinks service so it isn’t that obvious (naughty I know).
Typical.....GOLD card holders really should be setting a better example on here.
DelTroon, Duck1981 and nilsfr69 like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 5:31 pm

At Faro recently a pax across the aisle from me walked on board with a plastic takeaway cup of wine, presumably brought from one of the bars at the airport. FA questioned her about it but from what I overheard it was fine so long as she wasn't topping up from her own duty free bottle or whatever. This was on a "BA operated by Finnair" flight.
Old May 24, 2022, 5:57 pm

I have a vague recollection from years ago of a rule that any alcohol to be consumed on board must be poured a a member of cabin crew. That was not necessarily a BA rule, it could have been one from BEA, BOAC or even Pan AM or TWA.

The case of a passenger drinking straight from the bottle was not addressed explicitly, but I can imagine a stewardess (then current terminology) being asked to pour the gin down the passenger's throat.
Old May 24, 2022, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by CaptHolic
And be careful asking for straight ice. That will raise suspicions. Always ask for ice water if you want ice.
I've asked for a glass of ice dozens of times on many airlines -- usually because of the cabin being kept at sauna temperatures which is a whole 'nother thread. I can't vouch that the crew wasn't watching to see if I poured anything into it as I just happily munched on my ice. But I never got any hesitation or suspicious questions when I asked and they always happily provided it.
Old May 24, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
I wouldn’t have an issue buying on board, but BA don’t take cash unlike all competitors (from what I can see). So buying at Pret or similar (which of course do take cash) and taking onboard is a viable alternative for some.
Old May 24, 2022, 11:59 pm

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Last couple of flights in Y, they were still handing out a bottle of water and cereal bar to each passenger with no buy on board.
So was greatful for my M&S sandwich from Landside LGW
Old May 25, 2022, 12:38 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by hungry
I wouldn’t have an issue buying on board, but BA don’t take cash unlike all competitors (from what I can see). So buying at Pret or similar (which of course do take cash) and taking onboard is a viable alternative for some.
My local Pret is card only with a sign saying it's "part of trial to be expanded across all Prets" so not for long
Old May 25, 2022, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
My local Pret is card only with a sign saying it's "part of trial to be expanded across all Prets" so not for long
And to be honest when someone tries to pay in cash in Pret it’s pretty annoying for the rest of us… 🙊
cosmo74, 86BA7, Fatdickie and 2 others like this.
Old May 25, 2022, 1:30 am

In a lot of countries a business need a license to poor/sell alcohol, and such licenses forbid the consumption of your own. Not sure about the rules in UK, but in a lot of countries this is also including the airlines and they need a strict rule. Please just have that in mind if you go on other carriers. (Unsure about what alcohol license is in force when AY is operating on behalf of BA as wet-lease)
Old May 25, 2022, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I haven’t travelled in ET for a while; is tea and coffee free again, or is it just a bottle of water?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.