Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mostly negative LHR T5 comments

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2022, 10:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by houstr8male
The sleep pods are terrible. There are 5 or 6 in a room adjacent to the CCR. The door handle is loose so there is a loud bang every time the door is opened. The pods are not comfortable and there is no privacy since the next pod is a few steps away. This is a far cry from the Cabanas at The Wing in HK. One guy started to repack his suitcase so I gave up at that point.
I tried them once, and I found the room quiet enough (but that also depends from the other passengers there), the seat comfortable with the adjustable reclining and private enough due to the revolving "screen". I agree it's not the same thing of having a private room, but it's always waaay better than napping on an armchair...

That said, connecting in T5 is definitely more annoying than pre-2020 between arrival delays waiting for gates/stands and the security mess
Old May 18, 2022, 6:36 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by Lefly
I tried them once, and I found the room quiet enough (but that also depends from the other passengers there), the seat comfortable with the adjustable reclining and private enough due to the revolving "screen". I agree it's not the same thing of having a private room, but it's always waaay better than napping on an armchair...

That said, connecting in T5 is definitely more annoying than pre-2020 between arrival delays waiting for gates/stands and the security mess
How does the security issue get propagated in a connection at T5. I had imagined it was easy-peezy for premium passengers
Old May 18, 2022, 6:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
How does the security issue get propagated in a connection at T5. I had imagined it was easy-peezy for premium passengers
Since the fast track is closed, there is only one "lane" for all the passengers.
Markie likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
That's amazing. Is fast track always closed? Maybe I should just go landside when I self connect JFK-LHR-EDI next month.
Old May 18, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I will also note that I flew USA-CDG-BSL and BSL-CDG-USA last week. The CDG connecting experience was lengthy (a fair bit of walking and busing around) but did not involve any super-long immigration or security lines.
Old May 18, 2022, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
If you have the time I would, the only advantage I found to using flight connections was that if you end up using North security there is a good chance you will get to use the new scanners where you leave everything in your bag.
Old May 18, 2022, 6:54 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by S_W_S
If you have the time I would, the only advantage I found to using flight connections was that if you end up using North security there is a good chance you will get to use the new scanners where you leave everything in your bag.
...which more often than not results in secondary screening as people are still getting used to reading things...and it seems metal credit cards really confuse many.
Old May 18, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by flying_geek

Is the CCR like the LH F wing? no, but the odds of flying LH F to DXB and back for $4600 are virtually non existent
Actually you can with the companion fare deal. The last year one was £1.500 per person with LH F for DXB and £2.000 for a variety of other destinations such as Buenos Aires. Amazing deal in F with LH group.
jonkx likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
In the past two weeks I’ve been in the CCR many times. In my experience the busiest around 10ish until 3pm ish. Before 10 not busy at all most of the mornings and after 3pm gradually getting less busy and at 8pm usually just me and maybe 2 more passengers. I would have to add that even during the busy period I always find a place to settle down either in the high chair area or near the bar. Lunch at the restaurant can be busy and sometimes I’ve seen it full but as I said before you can order food anywhere in the lounge, you won’t get any different option. I do understand however that some sofa’s are quite low and not the great to have food there.
As of connection I almost always use the e-gates go to landside and go to the First Wing. I never had good experience with flight connection in T5 even before Covid.
The T5B lounge is great however food and drink wise not in par with CCR so even if I would able to use flight connection in T5B I would walk back to the CCR. It’s a nice and peaceful 10 min usually.
Old May 18, 2022, 7:57 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Is fast track for T5 connections always closed atm or is it open for limited hours?
Old May 18, 2022, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by krispy84
Is fast track for T5 connections always closed atm or is it open for limited hours?
Was closed this afternoon at 3pm however the queue at security was minimal so would have been of little point.
Old May 18, 2022, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
As I mentioned, when I got upstairs and saw the mess at security I wanted to go back down and use the e-gates/TFW. Is there a way to get back downstairs once you've taken the escalator up to security screening?
Old May 18, 2022, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by houstr8male
As I mentioned, when I got upstairs and saw the mess at security I wanted to go back down and use the e-gates/TFW. Is there a way to get back downstairs once you've taken the escalator up to security screening?
don’t think so. Once you have decided to go through connection then that’s it. This is my problem as well that I can’t see the queue upstairs.
Markie likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 9:18 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
So for the last 2 years we all prayed for COVID to go away. So it finally went away. Now we are back to full flights = full airports = full lounges. But in the meantime many experienced airline employees left, so most airlines have issues with F/A's, pilots, ground staff. It is not only BA/U2 - look at SK (4k flights cancelled during the peak summer season) or what a big mess AMS is now. It is a pity that now FR seems to be the most reliable airline
Old May 18, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
so its not the only option and it turns out the other options are pretty similar so maaybe ba is not so sub par

i guess any united to fra and then to ncl would be similar too

and more chance of a bus gate at fra than at lhr

which is pretty much my view of most air travel around europe and north america
Nowhere did I say it was the only option. I said it was the only viable option. There's a significant difference. I took a look at United (for the hell of it) and I don't think it's anywhere close to being similar. It's at least two stops whereas BA and even VS would be just one, and the return involves an overnight in FRA. From a scheduling perspective BA makes the most sense. However, scheduling aside, the BA and HAL experiences at the moment are sub-par. That's my opinion. You clearly feel differently, and that's fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.