Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA avios redemption differences LHR - SYD - LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2022, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Hi

Managed to book 2 rewards seats in J LHR - SYD / SYD - LHR (separate bookings) using two Amex Companion vouchers.

Both off peak, no stops.

Outbound 18/02/23 150000 Avios and £1042
Inbound 07/03/23 125000 avios and £640

I get the differences in charges (albeit shocking) but can’t understand the difference in avios. Anyone any ideas?

Still showing as the old CW configuration - hoping this will change!

thanks
Old May 16, 2022, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
never mind sorry. Had typed whilst the op was adding info

Regards

Tbs
Old May 16, 2022, 2:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Peak and off peak?
Old May 16, 2022, 2:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
can i check, you booked two seats in total using two vouchers? do you mean two bookings for two seats each, each booking using a voucher?

also do you mean both bookings are for exactly the same flights on the same dates in the same cabins? in which case no i don't understand the difference in avios or cost.
Old May 16, 2022, 2:44 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
It seems from various sources (seatspy/HFP) that the Feb date is peak, and March is off-peak. But I have to ask, why use 2 vouchers?
Old May 16, 2022, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
can i check, you booked two seats in total using two vouchers? do you mean two bookings for two seats each, each booking using a voucher?

also do you mean both bookings are for exactly the same flights on the same dates in the same cabins? in which case no i don't understand the difference in avios or cost.
Two bookings for two seats each: the seats are like gold dust so booked the outward as soon as it was available and the return later when they were released. Hence two one-way tickets for 2 people…

Both were ‘Off Peak’ according to the BA site
Old May 16, 2022, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vintagepilot
It seems from various sources (seatspy/HFP) that the Feb date is peak, and March is off-peak. But I have to ask, why use 2 vouchers?
I had to make two bookings as the return seats weren’t out when the outward became available. Hence two one-way tickets for 2 people, using two vouchers… I didn’t think they covered a return?

Old May 16, 2022, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by LondonGlobalist
18 February LHR-SYD is peak.
7 March SYD-LHR is off-peak.

It actually applies in both directions, although that's academic for you.
LondonGlobalist likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 6:24 am

I had to make two bookings as the return seats weren’t out when the outward became available. Hence two one-way tickets for 2 people, using two vouchers… I didn’t think they covered a return?

Ah. Unfortunately it looks like you have unnecessarily used 2 vouchers - each one can be used for a return journey. And I expect you would not have any joy trying to resurrect the situation at this stage.

You're right that you need to book the outbound as soon as it is available, and then book the return later when seats are released. But the way to do that is either on the phone, where they will add the return to your existing outbound, or you book it yourself online as a straightforward reward booking and you then call up to have the voucher applied to the inbound leg, and get half the avios for that leg returned. You need the full avios at time of booking though for this method (ie 250,000 avios).

Strangely (or not, if you are familiar with aspects of the BA website) there is no mention of the voucher being valid for a return booking anywhere in the Ts&Cs: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...amex-companion.

For future guidance on the use of companion vouchers have a read through this thread: BA American Express companion voucher | master thread. Start at the top of page one and click on 'Click here to display full wiki'
Old May 16, 2022, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vintagepilot
Ah. Unfortunately it looks like you have unnecessarily used 2 vouchers - each one can be used for a return journey. And I expect you would not have any joy trying to resurrect the situation at this stage.

You're right that you need to book the outbound as soon as it is available, and then book the return later when seats are released. But the way to do that is either on the phone, where they will add the return to your existing outbound, or you book it yourself online as a straightforward reward booking and you then call up to have the voucher applied to the inbound leg, and get half the avios for that leg returned. You need the full avios at time of booking though for this method (ie 250,000 avios).

Strangely (or not, if you are familiar with aspects of the BA website) there is no mention of the voucher being valid for a return booking anywhere in the Ts&Cs: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...amex-companion.

For future guidance on the use of companion vouchers have a read through this thread: BA American Express companion voucher | master thread. Start at the top of page one and click on 'Click here to display full wiki'
Thanks - I might try and call them again and combine the booking (cancelling one and getting a FTV) - I have more than enough Avios. The annoyance is it's impossible to call to book atm and I didn't want to loose the seats. I do, however, wonder if I should look at QR too now though...
Old May 17, 2022, 1:35 am

I suppose one solution would be to keep an eye out for any additional reward seats popping up for the return (which is unlikely I would think), book them as a new trip (using full avios) and then call up to have the new trip included under the umbrella of the original companion voucher. And only then, cancel the erroneous inbound booking - which you can do anyway with reward bookings (for a small fee) in fact they are not doing FTVs for reward bookings anymore.

Don't cancel anything until you have replacement seats - there is no guarantee that cancelled reward seats go back into availability. Note that outbound/inbound bookings made separately can be covered by one companion voucher but always remain as separate one-way bookings. You can set up alerts for reward seat availability with the likes of seatspy or expertflyer.

However, the perfect solution would be for BA to be able to undo your mistake - I imagine they might understand the problem but be unable or unwilling to achieve the solution.
Old May 17, 2022, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard

Still showing as the old CW configuration - hoping this will change!
currently operating as a 789 for the foreseeable and I don't think those will have Club Suites anytime soon. so unless they revert to a pre-COVID 77W to SYD, you are flying old CW.
Old May 17, 2022, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver IHG Diamond Ambassador Hilton Diamond
Another circuit queen I see. See you at WorldPride!

18 Feb is a peak date unfortunately. Please see here: British-Airways-peak-off-peak-Avios-redemption-calendar-2023.jpg (1674×730) (headforpoints.com)
oxfordjames likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.