Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice on missing the last leg of itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2022, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club

Hello everyone, first time poster, decade long lurker.

I'm looking for a bit of advice on the following issue as neither BA or my travel agent are being particularly helpful.

I'd booked a fare as follows DUB-LHR-LAS, LAS-LHR-DUB in business class. First time flying transatlantic business.

Unfortunately BA have cancelled the DUB-LHR leg, which means I'm potentially at risk of having to cancel the whole booking. The flight simply disappeared from my itinerary without any notification from BA. Call centre offered an alternative flight from DUB-LHR but I am unable to make the flight time suggested (and it would lead to a 9 hour layover at Heathrow, even with lounge access this wouldn't be great!). I believe I'd be fine to drive to LHR (as I'm in the UK the day before I was due to fly DUB-LHR in any case) and board the LHR-LAS leg with no issues.

The problem is that my car would then be at LHR. The airline and travel agent are both refusing to cancel the LHR-DUB leg and allow me to terminate the journey at LHR. I understand the reasons that this wouldn't be allowed in 'normal' circumstances but the request was prompted by BAs cancellation of the first leg and the lack of suitable alternative.

Cancel and rebook isn't really an option as prices have more than doubled.

My first thought is to keep the booking, not check any bags (not ideal) and simply walk out at Heathrow, no-showing the final leg. From reading other threads, I understand this will likely result in the loss of Avios for the entire itinerary (valued approx £180) and tier points. I have approx 60,000 avios on account and wouldn't wish to risk losing these as well. Or, would gate agents at LAS agree to just check my bags for the first leg?

Second thought is to drive to LHR, and on return after going LHR-DUB, fly back to LHR and pick up car. But I'd need to be 100% sure that my itinerary wouldn't be cancelled by failing to re-book the first leg.

Third thought, which is far from ideal and may not be possible, would be to ask to transfer the first leg to MAN-LHR, leave the car at MAN and after completing the LHR-DUB journey fly back to MAN on Ryanair.

Lastly, is it worth pursuing this further with the airline to get the LHR-DUB leg removed? Travel agent is AMEX and claim their hands are tied (which I understand they may well be).

If anyone has any experience or suggestions would be very gratefully received.
Old May 13, 2022, 6:30 am

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Mucci
Unfortunately there isn't much room for negotiation or common sense, despite the apparently reasonable situation you have outlined.

Others will no doubt be along to confirm the realities of just turning up at LHR.

Practically HBO is the only way to drop the final sector smoothly (if it's still part of your ticket).

Also worth pointing out, for wider benefit, that your travel agent may be on the hook for fare differences for dropped final sectors, where it's evident that there's revenue loss involved. I wouldn't worry so much in the case of Amex, but bear it in mind with a smaller outfit.
Old May 13, 2022, 6:35 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
I've always booked directly with BA, and they have allowed me to start in London when they have cancelled the first leg of a trip.

Maybe flying the LHR-LAS-LHR-DUB and then getting a single from DUB-LHR may be a solution? I wouldn't rely on the agent in LAS only checking the bag to London.

I've never lost Avios for a whole itinerary simply for not taking the last leg.
Old May 13, 2022, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks both, that's very helpful. I could definitely do with the additional tier points/avios for the LHR-DUB leg but I'm not necessarily sure it's worth the cost of booking an additonal DUB-LHR. I could also rathole my existing and outbound Avios in my Nectar account just in case I'm the one BA decide to make an example of by closing my account.

The lack of checked baggage is a pain but perhaps not worth cancelling the whole trip for. When I tried to drop the last leg the agent was of the opinion just going to LHR on the outbound leg was an option, but then said some other things that were a bit of a red flag that he might actually not know and just be making things up...

000 your comment re common sense rang true. A lack of it by US Airways some years ago is the reason my username is 'FormerFrequentFlyer332' rather than 'FrequentFlyer332'.
Old May 13, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hi
From my understanding missing the last leg of a booking shouldn't affect the Avios and TPs you've already earned on the earlier legs. There are a few threads on here which seem to suggest that, and it seems quite common. They also shouldn't have any relevance on your current Avios balance either. Lots of people DNA flights!
In fact I have a MAD-CPT-LHR itinerary booked for later in year (based in London). The return flights are: CPT-LHR / LGW-MAD. As you have to collect your bags if you connect between LHR/LCY/LGW, we will simply take our bags at LHR and not show up at LGW. Can you see if they can book the last leg from LGW or LCY to DUB?

The fact they've cancelled the DUB-LHR flight without booking an alternative seems to be to your advantage (I assume you've done this as it's cheaper, and the taxes and fees are lower) ?
Old May 13, 2022, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danmushman
The fact they've cancelled the DUB-LHR flight without booking an alternative seems to be to your advantage (I assume you've done this as it's cheaper, and the taxes and fees are lower) ?
That’s partly the case (and I’ve done this frequently in the past for both cost and Preclearance reasons), although in this case I was already due to be in Dublin that morning - I work in both the UK and Ireland - alongside the fact I’ve heard nothing but misery about MAN recently so was originally planning to fly out of LPL (where I have an appointment the day before) hence BAs offer of a replacement DUB-LHR at 0740 wouldn’t work (note it was only
when I rang the airline that the suggestion of a replacement was made - it didn’t happen automatically).

Thanks for your advice re Avios and tier points, I think that makes my decision much easier. Baggage is still an issue, but I’ll try the LGW/LCY suggestion.
Old May 13, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
By my reckoning the distance from Dublin to London by Air is 288 miles. When BA cancel a flight you should be able to rebook to an alternative destination within 300 miles. Within I believe 3 days/14 days of travel either side at no additional charge. I’d suggest you go back to Amex and complain and ask them to check up on the BA trade policies for cancelled flights.

it’s unlikely that LAS would short check bags to LHR and it’s possible as others have said dropping the last leg could result in the travel agent being charged the fare different viva an ADM which they could pursue you for. This is highly unlikely.

For repetitive abuse BA could close accounts and miles and TP forfeited but that’s likely to be if found to be dropping the last leg wilfully multiple times to manipulate fares so one odd isn’t going to make a difference especially if a flight has been cancelled.

You could of course ask what alternative options you have to get to Vegas eg DUB-LHR-JFK/DFW/LAX/SFO/LAS or indeed DUB-ORD/JFK then on to LAS if there’s times and a route that suits you. It would be a good idea to check your preferred routing in advance and tell Amex what you want to book. The ideal solution would be to amend destination within the 300 mile ruling though.

The problem is that you have to do everything via Amex which isn’t helping . This is why is never a good idea to use a travel agent especially now with widespread flight cancellations still looming.

Theres plenty of forums here explaining the 300 miles rule and other options.

Good luck and hope you get it sorted. Please report back the outcome and enjoy your trip when it happens.
Old May 13, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by FormerFrequentFlyer332
Thanks both, that's very helpful. I could definitely do with the additional tier points/avios for the LHR-DUB leg but I'm not necessarily sure it's worth the cost of booking an additonal DUB-LHR. I could also rathole my existing and outbound Avios in my Nectar account just in case I'm the one BA decide to make an example of by closing my account.

The lack of checked baggage is a pain but perhaps not worth cancelling the whole trip for. When I tried to drop the last leg the agent was of the opinion just going to LHR on the outbound leg was an option, but then said some other things that were a bit of a red flag that he might actually not know and just be making things up...

000 your comment re common sense rang true. A lack of it by US Airways some years ago is the reason my username is 'FormerFrequentFlyer332' rather than 'FrequentFlyer332'.
The checked baggage issue is easy when DUB is involve. You can simply have your final leg to DUB depart from LCY, LGW or MAN or even LHR the following day so long as it's within 24h of arrival (pretty easy from LAS as it arrives mid afternoon)
Old May 13, 2022, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by FormerFrequentFlyer332
I could definitely do with the additional tier points/avios for the LHR-DUB leg but I'm not necessarily sure it's worth the cost of booking an additonal DUB-LHR.
If you’d like the TP maximising option… assuming you’re going to be in Dublin anyway?

You could ask to be rebooked on AA DUB-PHL-LAS, and see if they’ll allow the same routing for your return. 140TP x4 = 560TP for the trip. Then book a Ryanair DUB-LPL or DUB-MAN at the end?

ORD, CLT and DFW are other connecting options with AA, but the onward flights to LAS would only earn 40 instead of 140 tier points.

Good luck whichever option you go for!
Old May 19, 2022, 2:00 am
Original Poster

So resolved, but not necessarily in the way I was expecting.

Finally had time to speak to the AMEX concierge in detail yesterday. I’m now still departing from DUB but with Aer Lingus in economy, which isn’t ideal when I’ve paid for business but at least only a short flight.

Rest of itinerary goes ahead as planned.

The airline flat out refused to depart/return to MAN, I assume I could’ve departed MAN and returned to DUB, but that wouldn’t have worked for my own schedule.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

For anyone who may be interested, I completed the journey this week.

Although I’d resolved the issue to depart from and return to DUB - due to a significant delay on the LAS-DUB flight I was concerned about missing the connection and being stuck overnight at either LHR or DUB airports.

The gate agent at LAS was happy to check my bag only to LHR and did so simply with the click of a button.

As it turns out, the departure to DUB was delayed anyway, so was able to recheck bags at LHR.
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:10 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Just rebook the final leg, then voucher it

or push the final leg to a distance in the future, and use it as a leg to DUB for a weekend trip (buying the return yourself)
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:01 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Edit; have PM’d

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.