Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Crossrail from 24th May : implications for LHR T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crossrail from 24th May : implications for LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2022, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
That is the fastest route to Paddington, according to TfL. I did it earlier this week and LCY to Paddington took about 45 mins including a 5-minute walk between stations at North Woolwich. It wasn't as quick as I had expected.
Where does TfL say that Woolwich is the fastest route from LCY to Paddington?! The fastest according to TfL's journey planner, with walking speed set to average/normal, is still DLR/Jubilee/Bakerloo lines, changing at Canning Town and Baker Street. That can be as little as 33 minutes if you get good connections.
Old May 30, 2022, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Reason077
Where does TfL say that Woolwich is the fastest route from LCY to Paddington?! The fastest according to TfL's journey planner, with walking speed set to average/normal, is still DLR/Jubilee/Bakerloo lines, changing at Canning Town and Baker Street. That can be as little as 33 minutes if you get good connections.

Hi

The Tfl journey planner js obviously very time dependent as a search now shows Woolwich arsenal as the quickest at 47 mins

A few minutes later and canning town route us quicker at 41mins
Regards

Tbs
Old May 30, 2022, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
The Tfl journey planner js obviously very time dependent as a search now shows Woolwich arsenal as the quickest at 47 mins
It looks to me like the Bakerloo/Jubilee route is consistently quicker. At least during the daytime when the DLR is running its full service. For example, 33 minutes at 12:47, 35 minutes at 12:57, 38 mins at 13:01, 36 mins at 13:07, etc. Woolwich route shows 41 minutes at 12:48, 12:58, 13:08, etc.

I do expect the Elizabeth line could speed up with future upgrades and timetables, however. There's currently seems to be a lot of extra dwell time at each stop. Elizabeth line will also be a more comfortable and less crowded ride, if you don't mind the extremely shrill and loud "door sirens" that go off at each station!
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 6:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Now that updated maps are appearing in stations, I've noticed that Canary Wharf Elizabeth Line <--> Poplar DLR is not marked as an interchange. However, an OSI has been set for this, so that if you touch out at one and touch in at the other, you will be charged for a through journey rather than two separate journeys.

FWIW, there is a handy list of OSIs here: https://oysterfares.com/information-...ains/osi-list/
Yes on my LCY to HEX trip, my Oyster card history gives this as a singe £2.90 off peak trip LCY to Paddington (then in my case £16.50 HEX). Opening up the detail there are 4 touch activities and £10.30 out, £7.40 returned.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Saw this today .. seems to suggest we'll be getting trains from Heathrow running through Central London on the Elizabeth Line from this Autumn .. so a bit earlier than suggested in some of the posts above I think. .. It's a little hard to work out from the article how many, but at least some trains will run Heathrow through to Abbey Wood via the central section from some (as yet unspecified) time in the Autumn ..

https://www.modernrailways.com/artic...hrough-running
Old Jun 13, 2022, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Saw this today .. seems to suggest we'll be getting trains from Heathrow running through Central London on the Elizabeth Line from this Autumn .. so a bit earlier than suggested in some of the posts above I think. .. It's a little hard to work out from the article how many, but at least some trains will run Heathrow through to Abbey Wood via the central section from some (as yet unspecified) time in the Autumn ..

https://www.modernrailways.com/artic...hrough-running
I hope the trains will run more regularly from T5 Heathrow when the line is fully open? At the moment T5 to Paddington seem to run every 30 minutes during the day.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by ademanuele
I hope the trains will run more regularly from T5 Heathrow when the line is fully open? At the moment T5 to Paddington seem to run every 30 minutes during the day.
I believe the plan is two per hour to T5 and four to T4 when through running commences IIRC
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes, this is the expected frequencies can be seen here https://londonist.com/london/transpo...ail-trains-run
Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Just Eat Platinum For Life
T4 re-opens tomorrow, so I would expect the EL to start terminating there (Piccadilly Line resumes operations tomorrow also).
Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by ademanuele
currently 4 an hour from T2/3, of which 2 an hour are from T5, you can use the heathrow express to get to and from T2/3 -
Old Jun 16, 2022, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I'm looking forward to the day I can do thameslink from South of London train lines to Farringdon and then EL to Heathrow. I use taxis at the minute which are now £100 each way. It'll be a bundle of saving to use the train.
You could have been knocking 50-off by booking HEX in advance and just taking a Cab from Farringdon to Paddington

The Heathrow "surcharge" is partly payment to HAL and the other half is TFL greed, and whilst saving a smidge (if running) of time on Docklands to T5 by Tube daytime, costs more than hex booked way in advance can (which is quicker still) and you're going out of the way to Padddington anyway

Once it's finally "joined up" [saving that interchange] my choice will between dragging luggage that extra 10 mins to the EL CW station and sitting on1 train all the way vs dragging luggage 10 mins between platforms at Green Park and doing 2 trains for less than 1/3rd of the price - as BA have changed the time of one of my regular flights to stoopid-oclock N5 and N9 is my regular route now, and that wont be change on the to LHR part as I need to be there before the EL opens, and having done it on the way back, the saved ~20mins and nicer train was probably worth the extra £8

The routing to Custom House rather than Canning Town + opening Silver Town was a deliberate snub to LCY, and brought up several times by business particularly in docklands who got taxed-up-the-ying-yang in extra business rates surcharges to fund crossrail for 2 decades
Old Aug 15, 2022, 4:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I think I need a sanity check. I'm looking at Canary Wharf to T5, and getting some interesting routings from CityMapper, presumably because they don't have the free transfers between T2/3 and T5 loaded as an option.

Basically, EL/EL is taking 80 minutes (because T5 trains are every 30 minutes), and EL+HEX is 63mns (and £15pp more). There's an option to go through EL/EL (T2/3) and then the Piccadilly line to get to T5 but that's silly if you're already on the Heathrow Central platforms right? Just use the next available train to T5?

(Jubilee+Piccadilly is quoted as 85 minutes, but that change at Green Park is long, and I think it's shorter and more comfortable via the Elizabeth line so I've discarded it for now).
Old Aug 15, 2022, 5:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I would agree. If you get a crossrail train to LHR and it is a T4 bound one (rather than a T5 bound one) just get off at Heathrow Central and wait on the same platform for a T5 bound crossrail or HEX. There should be 4tph to T5 for HEX and 2tph for crossrail to T5.

I wouldn't exit and walk to the tube station for the final bit.
Joeykins and alex67500 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by alex67500
(Jubilee+Piccadilly is quoted as 85 minutes, but that change at Green Park is long, and I think it's shorter and more comfortable via the Elizabeth line so I've discarded it for now).
I'd rather use Crossrail however the change at Green Park is only long if you follow the signs!
If you instead follow the signs for way out, then at the ticket hall go down the escalators to the Piccadilly it's quicker than the signposted route and you spend most of this time on escalators (so up to you if you want to walk or not)
alex67500 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
I took EL/EL from Abbey Wood to T2/3 and it took 75 mins - and very pleasant it was too (despite the wingle around/platform change at Paddington)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.