Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight cancelled just under two weeks before due to fly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight cancelled just under two weeks before due to fly

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The key test was whether BA offered you a service within the allowed margins or not, which in most cases is whether MMB gave you an option which did not result in compensation. If you then choose to go on another service, that's OK, but the test remains.
Another 13 day out cancellation here for an NCL-LHR flight on 29 April which I was notified of on 16 April.

Original booking 15:30 dep 16:45 arr
Automatically rebooked to 20:30 dep 21:40 arr

I thought this was odd as there is a departure before and after with available seats, but instead rebooked to the last departure of the day. These are:
11:25 dep 12:45 arr
17:10 dep 18:25 arr

So the 17:10 would have depared and arrived less than 2 hours later than the original, but still too late for our plans so went into MMB and changed to the 11:25.

Question is, would EC261 not be payable given that the 17:10 was an option, even though BA had automatically rebooked onto a flight much later?
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Not payable, You asked to be rebooked to a different flight that exceeded the thredshold for EU Reg. 261/04 compensation.
MarcD likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't see you as being eligible either, if you were able to select the other flight and you went for a third option. NCL has some slot sitting flights, including days when at the quietest period - around 15 hrs, when there are 2 flights witin 15 minutes of each other.
MarcD likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
I don't see you as being eligible either, if you were able to select the other flight and you went for a third option. NCL has some slot sitting flights, including days when at the quietest period - around 15 hrs, when there are 2 flights witin 15 minutes of each other.
Thanks, I thought as much and didn't really expect it to be eligible. On the plus side, MMB also allowed changes on the return flight to a later flight I wanted but which was much more expensive, so no need to rely on SDC availability on a Bank Holiday Monday.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan
We have a one way flight booked June 20 on points (returning with points from another non partner) and I'm so worried about it being cancelled (SFO to LHR).

If it were to cancel, would they rebook on another day even if it is unavailable with points?
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:28 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by auorab
We have a one way flight booked June 20 on points (returning with points from another non partner) and I'm so worried about it being cancelled (SFO to LHR).

If it were to cancel, would they rebook on another day even if it is unavailable with points?
If you mean BA Avios ("points" could mean many things) then BA will rebook you, if necessary doing something like SFO-LAX-LHR or the very many other combinations. As it happens, almost all the problems we have seen in this and other threads are on high(ish) frequency short haul routes, for obvious reasons they have tried to preserve the long haul network, and the USA network in particular. Definitely not worth worrying over.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:02 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by MarcD
Another 13 day out cancellation here for an NCL-LHR flight on 29 April which I was notified of on 16 April.

Original booking 15:30 dep 16:45 arr
Automatically rebooked to 20:30 dep 21:40 arr

I thought this was odd as there is a departure before and after with available seats, but instead rebooked to the last departure of the day. These are:
11:25 dep 12:45 arr
17:10 dep 18:25 arr

So the 17:10 would have depared and arrived less than 2 hours later than the original, but still too late for our plans so went into MMB and changed to the 11:25.

Question is, would EC261 not be payable given that the 17:10 was an option, even though BA had automatically rebooked onto a flight much later?
I had the same flight from NCL on the 27th April cancel a couple of days ago. The 17:10 isn’t operating on the 27th so the only two options do qualify for EC261.

I’ve cancelled and I’m taking the train. I can’t risk BA deciding that my bags are not worth loading on the plane.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Tim_T
I can’t risk BA deciding that my bags are not worth loading on the plane.
To the best of my knowledge, this has never happened at NCL. Swissport at NCL has always had sufficient ground staff for operations, and loading is largely manual. The only situation I could think of where this may happen is high winds, but even for that gate 3 is sheltered.
KARFA and Radiation Station like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:23 pm

To the best of my knowledge, this has never happened at NCL. Swissport at NCL has always had sufficient ground staff for operations, and loading is largely manual. The only situation I could think of where this may happen is high winds, but even for that gate 3 is sheltered.
It is entirely plausible, however, that they decide they’re not worth unloading at LHR and they get sent to Greece. Or somewhere equally exotic. Unlikely, I’ll grant you, but not out of the realms of recent possibility.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan
If you mean BA Avios ("points" could mean many things) then BA will rebook you, if necessary doing something like SFO-LAX-LHR or the very many other combinations. As it happens, almost all the problems we have seen in this and other threads are on high(ish) frequency short haul routes, for obvious reasons they have tried to preserve the long haul network, and the USA network in particular. Definitely not worth worrying over.
Sorry, yes I should have clarified that I meant Avios.

Thanks for the explanation. I recently had an issue whereby I had booked a flight on MileagePlus points and Air Canada changed their flight schedule and my connection no longer worked. As it was a partner airline, United could only put me on other flights that had award availability, and I had to change my dates of travel to accommodate it.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by CT-UK
Well Claim form submitted which took all of 2 mins. Lets see what happens.
Well 8 days after submitting the claim it has been approved and funds should be with me within 14 days. 125€ coming my way.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 12:29 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Now I have tonight done a first - I have submitted a claim under EC261. BA informed me of a cancellation 7 days before so I have packed it all off tonight.

I promise you my Champion corporate-wage-slave that I will report back with progress one way or another.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
odd. i have a FCO-LHR-VIE-LHR flight departing next friday.

over the last three weeks:
the FCO-LHR cancelled (rescheduled)

the LHR-VIE cancelled (rescheduled)

and yesterday the VIE-LHR cancelled. whats odd is today i see there is a 735pm VIE-LHR flight on ba.com when mine was 740pm...and i was not re-booked. but i just went to find a new flight and the first offer was VIE-HEL-LHR the latter being the a350 which of course i snapped up since i am a flyertalker and who doesnt want those extra TP on the a350 for free?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.