Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will things improve?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2022, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Travel is a little more stressful than it was 2 years ago however, with a little planning, most of it can be mitigated. I don't think I'd cancel travel unless I absolutely had to.
Genius1 and MatJarosz like this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Travel is a little more stressful than it was 2 years ago however, with a little planning, most of it can be mitigated. I don't think I'd cancel travel unless I absolutely had to.
Still ready to jump though the hoops … if the destination and price makes sense. Managed 2 x l/h already in 2022, so no intention to quit on travel … but I do accept it’s just we 2 Elders, who are less vulnerable to the stress of Family travel!
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
It extreme but if it goes wrong you can’t contact anyone on the phone etc.

their customer service is dire and they don’t deserve customers
scoonee and Silver Fox like this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Oddly the last two years and the impossibility of travel to many countries have made me more determined to deal with the little crap like baggage delays, queues and connection issues. I truly hope we’re in the COVID home stretch but who really knows. I’m not going to delay or dither on a holiday/trip as you just don’t know what’s coming next. Get in there while you’re able.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
It extreme but if it goes wrong you can’t contact anyone on the phone etc.

their customer service is dire and they don’t deserve customers
Except for BA Holidays, who IME have always been excellent. I could agree a straight BA pax is swimming in the swamp.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by GodAtum
With all the chaos going on at the moment and the news it could last for months, I've made the very difficult decision to cancel my family's Easter holiday to the Maldives on BA and got a FTV. I'm hoping things might improve by autumn.
That is a disappointment and a bummer for the family I'm sure. Can I ask how you received a FTV as I didn't think they were issuing FTVs anymore?
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:41 pm

I do wonder how much longer Doyle has left to go with all that's going on and no end in sight. Today Manchester Airports CEO resigned.
Silver Fox, Tocsin and becks1 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:41 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 225SG
That is a disappointment and a bummer for the family I'm sure. Can I ask how you received a FTV as I didn't think they were issuing FTVs anymore?
FTVs are being issued, they are then being converted into refunds (for redemptions). More information in the BWC thread.
==
On a more general point, I've done one pair of longhauls and quite a number of shorthauls in the last month or so, and though I know I've dodged a few bullets I've not been seriously disrupted, beyond a few 15 to 30 minute waits for the jetty / guidance to be enabled. I am avoiding arrival into LHR at weekends. I would not take it as inevitable that you would have a bad time, particularly on longhaul. I'm reminded on one recent thread, for someone who was badly delayed, but as soon as they were on the balcony enjoying the sunny Med with a glass of something, things quickly started to look much better.
mikeyfly and AJA_ like this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Apr 5, 2022 at 1:47 pm
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by flybymonkey
I do wonder how much longer Doyle has left to go with all that's going on and no end in sight. Today Manchester Airports CEO resigned.
Decent parallel there. I understand she started in 2020 and Manchester was crap years before that, the problems now are more understandable. Doyle is fighting years of Walsh and Cruz dismantling of any capability to deal with the slightest bump in the road, and the last couple of years have been very bumpy. I’m no expert but I’m not sure the solution to BAs problems will be cheap or quick, and I can’t see Doyle going will change anything.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by dougzz
Decent parallel there. I understand she started in 2020 and Manchester was crap years before that, the problems now are more understandable. Doyle is fighting years of Walsh and Cruz dismantling of any capability to deal with the slightest bump in the road, and the last couple of years have been very bumpy. I’m no expert but I’m not sure the solution to BAs problems will be cheap or quick, and I can’t see Doyle going will change anything.
I'm not sure his arrival changed anything though did it? Are there areas he has improved? Too soon to tell?
LCY8737 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I'm not sure his arrival changed anything though did it? Are there areas he has improved? Too soon to tell?
Complimentary water and snacks back on ET and a big improvement in F service immediately spring to mind.

Still a lot to do (especially with CW), but things on board are starting to feel better than during Cruz’s years of butchery.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by dougzz
Don't forget Keith Williams (2011–2016). I know people who would argue cost cutting started as far back as Bob Ayling (1996–2000).

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Complimentary water and snacks back on ET and a big improvement in F service immediately spring to mind.

Still a lot to do (especially with CW), but things on board are starting to feel better than during Cruz’s years of butchery.
To be fair to Cruz, prior to Covid he had secured the £500m investment and launched the Club Suite and the rollout of new lounge upgrades around the world.
becks1 and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by GodAtum
With all the chaos going on at the moment and the news it could last for months, I've made the very difficult decision to cancel my family's Easter holiday to the Maldives on BA and got a FTV. I'm hoping things might improve by autumn.
Family holiday to the Maldives on BA, looking at your post history that would seem unlikely.
DYKWIA and Fatdickie like this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flybymonkey
Don't forget Keith Williams (2011–2016). I know people who would argue cost cutting started as far back as Bob Ayling (1996–2000).

To be fair to Cruz, prior to Covid he had secured the £500m investment and launched the Club Suite and the rollout of new lounge upgrades around the world.
Yes I'd dread to think what state BA would be in nowadays if it was still run along the same lines as it was in the so called good old days. Bankrupt I imagine.

To answer the OP's question. Things will improve. Although if you find another airline that will suit your needs better then you'd be silly not to use them...that also applies to everyone else on here.
flybymonkey likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you book and cancel since your thread of 22nd March? Seems a bit peculiar
DYKWIA and Fatdickie like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.