Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Missed connection at JFK, real time request help please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed connection at JFK, real time request help please

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by LapLap
I was personally surprised when the via PHL and JFK flights were booked for MrLapLap as I had thought he would be connecting through CLT (then figured perhaps it was too close to have regular RDU flights)
I just had a quick look on aa.com. It's price. There are plenty of CLT connections, but they are more expensive in PE/WTP than the JFK or PHL connections. Same price in Y though.

Sorry but no insight as to when or if the direct flight comes back.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
We’re already about £200 down on this trip because of the delays with flights and luggage. He is insured and we know that BA should be reimbursing some of this, but he won’t be paying for a room out of his own pocket on principal, it’s a £3,000+ return trip as it is.

As I said, tired and cranky, cranky being the operative word. We just want to know what he is legitimately entitled to ask for at JFK. No point finding out in hindsight. He’s been messed around on both directions of this itinerary, through no fault of his own, and so far has not come across anybody who can or will take any responsibility.
He’s freelance, his clients pay for tickets, hotels, per diems and he charges “travel days”, but that’s it. It’s not a “business trip” in the way you might be thinking it is.
It’s the only time I’ve known for him to be brought over with some kind of premium ticket, usually he’s in the cheapest economy class. Has been the most expensive flights with the most uncomfortable and inconvenient journey.
Sounds like he should be including some clauses about reasonable expenses during IRROPS for his client contracts then.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Arrived to US (PHL) on delayed BA metal with a connection to RepAir operating as AA. All on a BA issued ticket.
As the arrival was delayed he was compelled to peg it from Terminal A to Terminal 2 for the inevitable waving-goodbye-to the-flight ceremony. In T2 there was no access to BA staff, AA said they wouldn’t put him up in a hotel and the next flights out to RDU were full. Only option on the table was the last flight to GSO and he’d have to wing it from there - he legged it and just made that flight. No airline representation whatsoever on arrival at GSO. He got a Lyft (eventually) and his luggage arrived at GSO the next evening. Logging in to the online baggage tracking facility there was the information that it was ready to be collected at the Baggage claim office. MrLapLap’s clients used the “wheresmysuitcase” service to reunite him with it.
I'm sorry about all that your husband had to endure on this trip, but I think that you have a misconception as to who is responsible for what when a flight irregularity causes a misconnection.

Regardless of who issued the ticket, when a late arriving BA LHR-PHL flight causes a misconnection, the duty to get the traveler to RDU (whether on AA or some other carrier) and provide duty-of-care (if any) was with BA, not AA. There is no Terminal 2 at PHL, only Terminals A, B, C, D, E, and F, which are all connected airside. The passenger should have spoken with BA -- even if that meant walking back to Terminal A -- if he did not like the re-routing options being offered by AA. That said, it's possible that BA would not have been able to offer anything better than the AA flight to GSO, but at least the passenger might have had some clarity as to whether there would be reimbursement for the ground transportation from GSO to RDU. When a passenger misses an AA flight due to no fault of AA's, I would not expect AA to do much -- and that's not a criticism of AA. The AA agent at PHL might not even have been aware of BA's duty-of-care obligations in this case, but those were BA's obligations, not AA's.

You saw all of this in operation when the RDU-JFK AA flight was delayed: AA -- not BA -- was responsible for the re-accommodation.

If getting some rest today was the priority over getting home at the earliest possible time, your husband could have asked to be accommodated on a later flight to LHR -- or maybe even one tomorrow morning -- if he wanted to get some real sleep in a hotel room. If getting home at the earliest possible time was the priority, it sounds like he got the best possible option.

I hope that the rest of his travels are uneventful.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 11:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There used to be direct London to Raleigh flights but these were dropped ‘cos Covid

I was personally surprised when the via PHL and JFK flights were booked for MrLapLap as I had thought he would be connecting through CLT (then figured perhaps it was too close to have regular RDU flights)

Are the PHL and JFK connections unusual? There is no way I’d choose them myself (and certainly not now) but these obviously came out as legitimate routes. LHR-RDU can’t be that rare, what are others using to make this journey? Surely everyone else isn’t going through this kind of pain.
You were trying to use the day flight to LHR, which is laudable, and Saturday flying is less likely to be problematic on the whole. But today it just didn't work, irrops are just the sorts of tings that happen. In my trips to RDU I have used PHL, JFK, BOS. My trips tend to be linked to Washington DC so DCA is a nice link if starting from there, but CLT is indeed the big sister next to RDU, and so RDU-CLT-LHR is the easiest connection and the moment, but PHL and JFK are perfectly valid routes. AA has been downturning its JFK services of late, favouring its codeshare with jetBlue, which isn't part of the Joint Business Agreement.

AA have been pushing back the direct flight, it was supposed to restart in February, then it was pushed back to April and now it seems June. That was a pretty neat service so I hope it survives.
LapLap likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Personally, I would like to hear from the Mr.

Mrs seems to try to armchair TA these journeys. Perhaps the Mr could make a guest appearance to let us know his thoughts as the passenger.

If he has clients, he is quite capable, however in my opinion the Mrs. is enabling him. I know this is coming off a little bit indifferent on my part, I don’t intend it to be that way just trying to have a Mrs understand that she seems to have more concerns than the traveler (and different requirements)

Glad it’s going to work out in the end as we most thought it will (Its JFK!) However, please don’t complain about discomfort if you’re unwilling to step in and pay for lounge access, day room etc. The poster above explanation of duty of care was spot on

Last edited by Flying Machine; Mar 19, 2022 at 11:48 am
Old Mar 19, 2022, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
I'm sorry about all that your husband had to endure on this trip, but I think that you have a misconception as to who is responsible for what when a flight irregularity causes a misconnection.
I think you’re confusing me having a misconception with me having no idea!

That’s why I’m asking. MrLapLap literally didn’t care who he’d have to deal with, he just wanted to avoid cross crossing terminals so he asked the people he came across in the sequence of coming across them. The priority for him was to avoid senseless and frustrating travelling throughout an airport, particularly after the last flights had arrived and departed.

If I’d told Mr LapLap to go back to Terminal A in PHL to see someone from BA with him having already gone through security, collected his bags and rushed to whichever Terminal it was the RepAir flight had left from he would have told me to eff off. Would there have even been anybody there, anybody landside? I don’t believe so, why would there be? It was late.
Knowing what SHOULD be done is not the same knowing what CAN be done. He got to Raleigh that night and his booked accommodation for the week wasn’t cancelled because he was a no show. Impossible to imagine a better outcome had BA been involved… that’s if he could find someone to take responsibility.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Machine

Glad it’s going to work out in the end as we most thought it will (Its JFK!) However, please don’t complain about discomfort if you’re unwilling to step in and pay for lounge access, date room etc. The poster above explanation of duty of care was spot on
You and MrLapLap have very different definitions of the term “discomfort”. Both myself and my husband are not exactly neurotypical, but we understand each other’s parameters perfectly.

There’s a real theme for events that happen in hindsight. I’m sorry to have raised the LHR-PHL-RDU trip here.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
You and MrLapLap have very different definitions of the term “discomfort”. Both myself and my husband are not exactly neurotypical, but we understand each other’s parameters perfectly.
earlier in this thread you were so accommodating to others for their opinion. Now that you have a level of comfort, please don’t lash out at others if you’re unsure of what they area thinking (as a question)

You have no idea what my level of discomfort is, so you cannot compare it to the Mr. I don’t normally travel AA or BA, but I find your recent posts as being unappreciative towards others. I think it’s better go ask. This thread is not Omni or political in nature
Old Mar 19, 2022, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In my trips to RDU I have used PHL, JFK, BOS. My trips tend to be linked to Washington DC so DCA is a nice link if starting from there, but CLT is indeed the big sister next to RDU, and so RDU-CLT-LHR is the easiest connection
Just a historical note: RDU used to be a hub for AA:

https://www.rdu.com/airline-highligh...ican-airlines/

CLT had been a hub for the old Piedmont Airlines (PI), which was headquartered in North Carolina; Piedmont merged with USAir, which was subsequently rebranded as US Airways, and the hub at CLT continued. US, of course, merged with AA and opted to trade as AA going forward, so now CLT is an AA hub.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
AA have been pushing back the direct flight, it was supposed to restart in February, then it was pushed back to April and now it seems June. That was a pretty neat service so I hope it survives.
What’s the lineage of the AA RDU - LHR flight? I’ve got corporate contract in the back of my mind, but unsure which. Was thinking BoA, but they’re in Charlotte.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 11:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by krispy84
What’s the lineage of the AA RDU - LHR flight? I’ve got corporate contract in the back of my mind, but unsure which. Was thinking BoA, but they’re in Charlotte.
IBM, big pharma (R&D sites in the Triangle and a big GSK presence), academia and the military-security establishment. The LHR-RDU service is one of AA's longest running routes.
wrp96, beachmouse and krispy84 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Might I suggest to OP to post in the AA forum to see if someone would guest the Mr. into the Flagship lounge for a shower and proper F&B?

We're a community and I would certainly extend the invitation if I were passing through JFK today.
rjburns, Flying Machine and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MrLapLap literally didn’t care who he’d have to deal with, he just wanted to avoid cross crossing terminals so he asked the people he came across in the sequence of coming across them. The priority for him was to avoid senseless and frustrating travelling throughout an airport, particularly after the last flights had arrived and departed.

If I’d told Mr LapLap to go back to Terminal A in PHL to see someone from BA with him having already gone through security, collected his bags and rushed to whichever Terminal it was the RepAir flight had left from he would have told me to eff off. Would there have even been anybody there, anybody landside? I don’t believe so, why would there be? It was late.
How late was it? The BA LHR-PHL aircraft do not overnight at PHL; they are turn-arounds, with the later flight departing after 10:00 pm. Now, if walking back to BA would have meant missing the last PHL-GSO flight on AA, I agree that dealing with AA was probably the best option in that situation. But doing so may have jeopardized your chances of being reimbursed for the GSO-RDU ground transfer. So you're kind of picking your poison.

At least you and your husband now have a better understanding of who is responsible for what in the case of (future) irregular-operation situations.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You were trying to use the day flight to LHR, which is laudable, and Saturday flying is less likely to be problematic on the whole. But today it just didn't work, irrops are just the sorts of tings that happen. In my trips to RDU I have used PHL, JFK, BOS. My trips tend to be linked to Washington DC so DCA is a nice link if starting from there, but CLT is indeed the big sister next to RDU, and so RDU-CLT-LHR is the easiest connection and the moment, but PHL and JFK are perfectly valid routes. AA has been downturning its JFK services of late, favouring its codeshare with jetBlue, which isn't part of the Joint Business Agreement.

Thanks for the thoughtful response here. I don’t tend to have an innate comprehension of things and need to struggle to conceptualise and intellectualise most of my understanding and skills. Unfortunately, air travel is like “whack a mole”; for every batch of problems I learn to identify and deal with, another one surfaces. I try and ascertain what the problem is, why it’s there, what should be done to avoid it, what the pitfalls are of the established recommendations to avoid the problem and how to mitigate these secondary problems that can come from avoiding the initial one.

This is all precious data for me. Have internalised much of it, taken onboard and book-marked the rest (always good to know what people different from me would do), hopefully I am now ready to whack-a-mole more problems before they break ground. Since I tend to travel with a minor (who is also autistic) the advice for the RDU-JFK-LHR trip has been more valuable to me than will likely be realised by all of you have contributed.
I’ve learned quite a bit in this thread, just as my knowledge was getting worn out and rusty.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
The whole experience seems standard AA service recovery. i.e. little to none.

The best idea I've seen here is for someone to guest him into the Flagship lounge. The Flagship lounge at JFK is good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.