FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Missed connection at JFK, real time request help please (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2072460-missed-connection-jfk-real-time-request-help-please.html)

LapLap Mar 19, 2022 4:23 am

Missed connection at JFK, real time request help please

ETA - TRIGGER WARNING!

Please do not read if you are offended by the minutiae of international travel and how someone else might struggle to grasp and comprehend facts and ideas that you already get or take for granted.

Take heed, this is incredibly annoying to certain reviewers. If you think you might be one of them, proceed with caution.

————————————————————————————————————————————— ————

MrLapLap, having been subject to delay on the outbound LHR-PHL flight then a tedious saga of getting to RDU via GSO and a Lyft cab (with a current claim for the cab cost) is now in the midst of another saga as he attempts to return home.

his 6am RDU-JFK flight has been delayed, first by half an hour, now by another half an hour.

there is no way he is getting the BA178 (departing around 9am)

He has WT+ ticket and he’s exhausted as he wasn’t able to sleep the night before (went to RDU for work) so is a cranky, walking zombie.

He also detests having to fight his ground.

What can he reasonably ask for when he gets to Terminal 7 in JFK? There are no flights until the early evening. He technically makes bronze on the RDU to JFK but currently has no status.

Great! The gate agent at RDU is stressed and freaking out and has announced “I can’t answer the questions you have about what happens at JFK regarding connecting flights” over the PA. Good grief!!! Clearly no assistance there.

LapLap Mar 19, 2022 4:31 am

First hurdle here already.

How does one follow this advice when the ticket is with BA? (He hasn’t received any alerts or txts on his phone)

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...05cfae533.jpeg

mario Mar 19, 2022 4:32 am

Originally Posted by LapLap (Post 34088235)
MrLapLap, having been subject to delay on the outbound LHR-PHL flight then a tedious saga of getting to RDU via GSO and a Lyft cab (with a current claim for the cab cost) is now in the midst of another saga as he attempts to return home.

his 6am RDU-JFK flight has been delayed, first by half an hour, now by another half an hour.

there is no way he is getting the BA178 (departing around 9am)

He has WT+ ticket and he’s exhausted as he wasn’t able to sleep the night before (went to RDU for work) so is a cranky, walking zombie.

He also detests having to fight his ground.

What can he reasonably ask for when he gets to Terminal 7 in JFK? There are no flights until the early evening. He technically makes bronze on the RDU to JFK but currently has no status.

Great! The gate agent at RDU is stressed and freaking out and has announced “I can’t answer the questions you have about what happens at JFK regarding connecting flights” over the PA. Good grief!!! Clearly no assistance there.

Is it all on the same ticket or separate tickets?
​​​​​

DYKWIA Mar 19, 2022 4:33 am

Get him booked into the TWA hotel for the day. At least he'll have somewhere to rest once he sorts out his flight.

https://onemileatatime.com/twa-hotel-jfk-day-stays/

Pilot37 Mar 19, 2022 4:34 am

While I understand it is a stressful situation, as long as the person who is travelling is on 1 through ticket (RDU to London), they will be looked after. The RDU agents will be focused on getting that flight away, so tell the traveller to relax, travel to New York and the agents there will get them on the next flight to London (this evening sadly if they miss the only day flight operating) or they may be paged when they land at JFK and handed their new boarding pass. It has happened twice to me and AA were very proactive.

Pilot37

LapLap Mar 19, 2022 4:36 am

Originally Posted by mario (Post 34088240)
Is it all on the same ticket or separate tickets?
​​​​​

same ticket

can’t access the AA.com flight change with his PNR locator nor his ticket number (which doesn’t start with 001)

bisonrav Mar 19, 2022 4:39 am

I guess the issue is the period between arriving and going home, and whether some sort of duty of care applies. Personally I'd argue the toss later and get myself into a day room for a shower and a sleep. I'd probably expense it on a business trip if BA refused.

Definitely don't try to change anything yourself on one ticket. Let the airlines have a go first.

corporate-wage-slave Mar 19, 2022 4:39 am

Originally Posted by LapLap (Post 34088248)
same ticket

can’t access the AA.com flight change with his PNR locator nor his ticket number (which doesn’t start with 001)

What is stopping him from getting to NYC exactly? I thought the aircraft was just delayed.

If NYC is in the bag, get there. Decide if you are in a fit state to travel. If not, and you could not have made the original flight, get some decent sleep. Then rebook. Don't rebook first!!!!

The _Banking_Scot Mar 19, 2022 4:40 am

Hi,

Any customer service desks at Raleigh? ( not gate agent) who maybe able to help.

Otherwise I agree with Pilot37 and DYKWIA about sorting it out at new york and getting a day room .

Regards

TBS

LapLap Mar 19, 2022 4:44 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 34088242)
Get him booked into the TWA hotel for the day. At least he'll have somewhere to rest once he sorts out his flight.

https://onemileatatime.com/twa-hotel-jfk-day-stays/

We’re already about £200 down on this trip because of the delays with flights and luggage. He is insured and we know that BA should be reimbursing some of this, but he won’t be paying for a room out of his own pocket on principal, it’s a £3,000+ return trip as it is.

As I said, tired and cranky, cranky being the operative word. We just want to know what he is legitimately entitled to ask for at JFK. No point finding out in hindsight. He’s been messed around on both directions of this itinerary, through no fault of his own, and so far has not come across anybody who can or will take any responsibility.

LapLap Mar 19, 2022 4:45 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 34088254)
Hi,

Any customer service desks at Raleigh? ( not gate agent) who maybe able to help.

Otherwise I agree with Pilot37 and DYKWIA about sorting it out at new york and getting a day room .

Regards

TBS

Nope - asking and then hearing over the PA that they do NOT want any further questions is quite the deterrent!
as the flight is being postponed in 30 minute increments it would be too risky to try and find anyone else further away

LapLap Mar 19, 2022 4:46 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 34088252)
What is stopping him from getting to NYC exactly? I thought the aircraft was just delayed.

If NYC is in the bag, get there. Decide if you are in a fit state to travel. If not, and you could not have made the original flight, get some decent sleep. Then rebook. Don't rebook first!!!!

surely he needs to rebook the flight from JFK to LHR. There is no way he’ll make BA178

the image I posted is exactly what he has been given with regards to advice at RDU. They have no other information for him

orbitmic Mar 19, 2022 4:47 am

I'd look at what are the best flights from RDU to LHR via anywhere, choose what you think is best in terms of connection and timings, call AA and ask to be rerouted on that. In other words, it does not have to be via JFK (where he'd need to change terminal etc if something else is preferred/easier/has earlier connection though admittedly JFK has the best density of all stations.

Pilot37 Mar 19, 2022 4:49 am

Originally Posted by LapLap (Post 34088260)
We’re already about £200 down on this trip because of the delays with flights and luggage. He is insured and we know that BA should be reimbursing some of this, but he won’t be paying for a room out of his own pocket on principal, it’s a £3,000+ return trip as it is.

As I said, tired and cranky, cranky being the operative word. We just want to know what he is legitimately entitled to ask for. No point finding out in hindsight. He’s been messed around on both directions of this itinerary, through no fault of his own, and so far has not come across anybody who can or will take any responsibility.

I can see the flight is now arriving into JFK around 9.20am, but asking what the pax is entitled to for a 1.5hr delay (so far) is not helping your case. Wait until they get to JFK, see what things look like then (the BA flight could be delayed!) and a reasonable conversation can then be had with an agent about hotels etc. if they are stuck at JFK for the day.

Pilot37

crazy8534 Mar 19, 2022 4:51 am

Originally Posted by LapLap (Post 34088260)

As I said, tired and cranky, cranky being the operative word. We just want to know what he is legitimately entitled to ask for. No point finding out in hindsight. He’s been messed around on both directions of this itinerary, through no fault of his own, and so far has not come across anybody who can or will take any responsibility.

Rotten luck, sorry to hear.

1. Get to JFK - AA will get him there eventually so try not to stress. Find a nice restaurant or cafe at RDU and have a drink and something to eat. Keep receipts. AA won’t be able to do anything to help with the JFK-LHR flight just now so just try to relax.

2. At JFK proceed to the BA check in desk. Of all the airports to miss a flight, this will be the easiest to get rebooked at. No problem at all to explain that he is tired and needs a rest on the off chance they find him a flat seat, but don’t expect it.

3. If he needs to get a hotel at JFK, either let BA book or book something reasonable and keep the receipts, including perhaps an Expedia search of available rates.

All the best.