Search

What is my best option?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Question What is my best option?

Hi All,

Just wondering what the best options are with my Executive club membership.

My year-end is 8/9/22 and I currently have no tier points. Is the best option to do a few short trips, and try and get silver before my due date, or wait and book a Gold run before the points amounts go up at the end of the year.

my understanding is that short trips aren't as good at collecting tier points as a good US west coast trip.

Cheers
Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think this works best if you can combine a few pleasures together. So let's say you enjoy eating out, then a few trips to Portugal would be good, there is also a summer service to the Azores, which will be 80 TPs in Club Europe each way - there are fish dishes there that you can't eat anywhere else. If you are into golf, then maybe some cunning Loganair codeshares to Scotland. And so on TLV and the Middle East are on longhaul TPs. So perhaps a bit more about what would be attractive to you would help finesse the advice.

There's a Tier Point Run thread with the more mercenary "pile 'em high" approach.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Also consider a BA Holiday ( with a hotel or car hire for 5 days or more you get double tier points)

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 18, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Clearly, if you want to go away over the summer then go. But any tier points earned will reset to zero on 9 Sep and you start again. For best longevity of status, you might want to get the TPs at the beginning of your new TP year.

If you get silver before 8 Sep 22, you will have it until 8 Sep 23 (the rest of the current year and the following year). And none of those TPs will carry forward to count towards your gold target for next year. If you wait to get the silver TPs as soon as your new year starts, you will have (at least) silver until Sep 24 - and be part way towards gold in the same year.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think this works best if you can combine a few pleasures together. So let's say you enjoy eating out, then a few trips to Portugal would be good, there is also a summer service to the Azores, which will be 80 TPs in Club Europe each way - there are fish dishes there that you can't eat anywhere else. If you are into golf, then maybe some cunning Loganair codeshares to Scotland. And so on TLV and the Middle East are on longhaul TPs. So perhaps a bit more about what would be attractive to you would help finesse the advice.

There's a Tier Point Run thread with the more mercenary "pile 'em high" approach.
You see now I just want to do all of those trips!!!!!

Where is my credit card hiding
Old Mar 18, 2022, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vintagepilot
Clearly, if you want to go away over the summer then go. But any tier points earned will reset to zero on 9 Sep and you start again. For best longevity of status, you might want to get the TPs at the beginning of your new TP year.

If you get silver before 8 Sep 22, you will have it until 8 Sep 23 (the rest of the current year and the following year). And none of those TPs will carry forward to count towards your gold target for next year. If you wait to get the silver TPs as soon as your new year starts, you will have (at least) silver until Sep 24 - and be part way towards gold in the same year.
I think that matches what i was thinking. just wanted to be sure.

I am planning on getting gold, so it would be pointless to get silver before the deadline.

Thank you all for your input, but I think I'm just going to book a gold-based tier point run and stick with that
Old Mar 18, 2022, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Go for GOLD straight after year reset, and benefit from the reduced requirement of 1,125 only before end of 2022.

This will give you GOLD privileges until 31/10/2024 and Silver to 31/10/2025

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.