Cancelled Flight

Old Mar 14, 22, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Cancelled Flight

It seems that BA have cancelled our flight by bunching up / consolidating a number of flights (previously there were several more direct flights throughout the day), approximately 21 days out. Edit: I said 21 days, but sadly I cannot count.
The booking is in business and there are no other operators who offer business direct on the route direct (nod to finnair on that).
I am pained to work out what to do. To their credit (that is BA), they have offered the indirect carrier and an alternative on the day, except we cannot make those times. We HAD chosen the later time for this VERY reason. Therefore it seems must that we shall have to book a night's expense at the airport.

I suppose it can't be helped but it does make one wonder whether we should be expensed at BA's leisure when clearly they are hurdling as many people onto each flight as possible, while cancelling others. More money for me to pay no doubt. I should just stop flying with them and become a shareholder!!!

Franklin Senior.

Last edited by cmnmia; Mar 14, 22 at 10:04 am
Old Mar 14, 22, 8:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BA do pay up when an overnight stay is forced and that's part of Right to Care of EC261. There is no point asking before travel about this, but just send the bills in after all sectors are complete, and keep hold of anything that indicates why you had to travel later but not earlier. The usual guideline is 200 per room per night, plus reasonable meals and other costs.
cmnmia likes this.
Old Mar 14, 22, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
BA do pay up when an overnight stay is forced and that's part of Right to Care of EC261. There is no point asking before travel about this, but just send the bills in after all sectors are complete, and keep hold of anything that indicates why you had to travel later but not earlier. The usual guideline is 200 per room per night, plus reasonable meals and other costs.
Thank you for your fantastic help. One day I shall buy you an ale or two.
Old Mar 14, 22, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Just a follow-up. Perhaps down to BA's IT, but google flights and the ITA matrix still show the flight that we had been moved onto as being available.
What a chaotic situation where the IT at BA are showing it as available, unavailable, and then cancelled. The flight is on the 27th March.
Old Mar 14, 22, 10:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
By all means share the details if you want specific advice.
Old Mar 14, 22, 10:12 am
Original Poster

By all means share the details if you want specific advice.
I have a return flight that had been scheduled for 27/03 to London late in the evening 21:00 from ARN. I think it was something such.
The prior day we are flying overnight from New York (JFK) and arriving at 11ish in Stockholm (ARN) in the morning in the day of question. The 21:00 (ARN-LHR) flight we booked disappeared and we were moved to 18:00 (ARN-LHR).
This 18:00 flight is showing all kinds of different status today and yesterday. Sorry to take up your time but it's driving my partner (nothing sexist meant there) bananas. I'm not good at writing these things up so sorry for all the edits.

Last edited by cmnmia; Mar 14, 22 at 10:18 am
Old Mar 14, 22, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by cmnmia View Post
I have a return flight that had been scheduled for 27/03 to London late in the evening 21:00 from ARN. I think it was something such.
The prior day we are flying overnight from New York (JFK) and arriving at 11ish in Stockholm (ARN) in the morning in the day of question. The 21:00 (ARN-LHR) flight disappeared and we were moved to 18:00 (ARN-LHR).
This 18:00 flight is showing all kinds of different status today and yesterday. Sorry to take up your time but it's driving my partner (nothing sexist meant there) bananas. I'm not good at writing these things up so sorry for all the edits.
If it was ticketed as a codeshare (e.g. Finnair or AA) then that can explain some of changed statuses. But BA781 departing ARN to LHR on Sunday 27 March at 18:05 appears to be operating and is about half full. Given that you are under the 14 days for EC261, I would expect this to operate, though perhaps late given it's a Sunday service, and as far as I can tell this has not been cancelled or amended in the last 42 days. The 21:10 service, BA783 has indeed been cancelled. THe last flight from ARN is the SK servuce at 18:15.

There is a late service from GOT if that helps, departs 21:25, BA793. You can even transfer on to that service from ARN via SK, departing 19:25 but I would doubt that BA will agree to do that, but they would agree to you starting in GOT instead of ARN.
cmnmia likes this.
Old Mar 14, 22, 10:47 am
Original Poster

If it was ticketed as a codeshare (e.g. Finnair or AA) then that can explain some of changed statuses. But BA781 departing ARN to LHR on Sunday 27 March at 18:05 appears to be operating and is about half full. Given that you are under the 14 days for EC261, I would expect this to operate, though perhaps late given it's a Sunday service, and as far as I can tell this has not been cancelled or amended in the last 42 days. The 21:10 service, BA783 has indeed been cancelled. THe last flight from ARN is the SK servuce at 18:15.

There is a late service from GOT if that helps, departs 21:25, BA793. You can even transfer on to that service from ARN via SK, departing 19:25 but I would doubt that BA will agree to do that, but they would agree to you starting in GOT instead of ARN.
Thank you for explaining and looking into this. I should have been clear that the tickets between JFK/ARN and ARN/LHR are on separate itineraries. Both do operate BA flight numbers. The operator at BA is adamant that the 1800 flight is definitely cancelled - despite the fact that flights are available to purchase on BA website and other OTAs - of course that could be a red herring. The online booking still says all three statuses, including already booked. The cancellation for the first 'original' flight arrived on Thursday. I think I will have to just sight on this one.

Unfortunately, she was not a great deal of help and unfortunately we will see how this pans out in future. Many thanks once again for your help.
Old Mar 14, 22, 10:50 am

I wonder if she typed the wrong date. Today's service is full, for example.
cmnmia likes this.
Old Mar 14, 22, 6:32 pm

Not sure this is the right place to ask my question but here goes. I had an award flight(aa miles) vie/lhr/iad back in late October. Ba canceled the vie/lhr segment. They offered some off the wall ib flight thru madrid with a couple of connections that added a day to the trip. When I called them they said , because it was booked with aa mies, all they were required to do was refund the miles. AA was no heip?

wh
Old Mar 14, 22, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmj9905 View Post
Not sure this is the right place to ask my question but here goes. I had an award flight(aa miles) vie/lhr/iad back in late October. Ba canceled the vie/lhr segment. They offered some off the wall ib flight thru madrid with a couple of connections that added a day to the trip. When I called them they said , because it was booked with aa mies, all they were required to do was refund the miles. AA was no heip?

wh
In my limited knowledge, the operator (IB) is the one on the hook. But others can correct me.
Old Mar 15, 22, 2:36 am

OK so you may be under the ambit of EC261 here, it depends on the precise reason for cancelling the VIE-LHR leg and when exactly you were told. If BA gave you more than 2 weeks notice then they are off the hook for compensation but not for additional expenses you had. You would have RIght to Care benefits to cover any food or accommodation involved. Cancellation compensation may be tricky here, it depends if BA were doing any flights generally around this period between LHR and VIE or not. Austria had some ferocious COVID restrictions but I think that was later than October? Either way if BA cancelled essentially because there wasn't enough passengers and therefore it was uneconomic, then EC261 cancellation compensation is payable if less than 2 weeks notice was given. BA disagrees with this argument, but it's an argument they lose at CEDR and they are not defending in MCOL.
Old Mar 18, 22, 10:39 am

OK so you may be under the ambit of EC261 here, it depends on the precise reason for cancelling the VIE-LHR leg and when exactly you were told. If BA gave you more than 2 weeks notice then they are off the hook for compensation but not for additional expenses you had. You would have RIght to Care benefits to cover any food or accommodation involved. Cancellation compensation may be tricky here, it depends if BA were doing any flights generally around this period between LHR and VIE or not. Austria had some ferocious COVID restrictions but I think that was later than October? Either way if BA cancelled essentially because there wasn't enough passengers and therefore it was uneconomic, then EC261 cancellation compensation is payable if less than 2 weeks notice was given. BA disagrees with this argument, but it's an argument they lose at CEDR and they are not defending in MCOL.
Thanks coeporate-wage-slave. I will have to go back and check my records but I believe I was notified more than 2 weeks ahead of time.
Old Mar 18, 22, 10:46 am

Thanks coeporate-wage-slave. I will have to go back and check my records but I believe I was notified more than 2 weeks ahead of time.
Normally European airlines do settle up their schedules around 20 to 15 days before travel, precisely because of EC261. Annoying on one level, but equally it does give a bit of scope to work out plan B.

Search this Thread