Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

List of BA destinations where masks are mandatory

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AirbusA350
List of BA destinations where masks ARE mandatory

You will need to wear a mask on board if you are travelling to the following countries (as of 4th May 2023):
  • Morocco

You will not need to wear a mask on board if you are travelling from any country back to UK (as of 4th May 2023)
Print Wikipost

List of BA destinations where masks are mandatory

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Masks not required in JFK.
As each state can make it's only rules on local transport, New York has reinstated masks for transport, which includes airport terminals. You have to put your mask on when in JFK.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by chriswiles
As each state can make it's only rules on local transport, New York has reinstated masks for transport, which includes airport terminals. You have to put your mask on when in JFK.
This is insane - it should be all or nothing everywhere at this stage of the pandemic.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Butts
What if the passenger shows her the BA Guidance Page that clearly indicates masks are not required on Flights in or out of Germany ?

Why is this happening ?

Because the crew are required to comply with the destination specific covid briefs and nothing else. Until those are updated then the policies will remain.

For Germany the briefs state that FFPS2 masks are required inside the terminal building.

For Portugal it states that masks to be worn in terminal and onboard both inbound and outbound whilst at the destination airport only.

A page off a website, even if it is BA’s, is not an SOP. Following the briefs as printed is and they form part of our manuals. German destinations appear to have been updated last at the start of April, and for Portugal I can see the middle or March.

Whilst inconsistency is annoying, it is important to remember it was governments that introduced all of this and not airlines and there has been zero international common standard.

Hopefully if the actual stated rules/laws/regulations/Twitter opinion of the specific nation is truly and clearly stated form
an official source, they will be updated in due course, but there are people who are regularly checking.

Hopefully answers the why.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Sigwx
Because the crew are required to comply with the destination specific covid briefs and nothing else. Until those are updated then the policies will remain.

For Germany the briefs state that FFPS2 masks are required inside the terminal building.

For Portugal it states that masks to be worn in terminal and onboard both inbound and outbound whilst at the destination airport only.

A page off a website, even if it is BA’s, is not an SOP. Following the briefs as printed is and they form part of our manuals. German destinations appear to have been updated last at the start of April, and for Portugal I can see the middle or March.

Whilst inconsistency is annoying, it is important to remember it was governments that introduced all of this and not airlines and there has been zero international common standard.

Hopefully if the actual stated rules/laws/regulations/Twitter opinion of the specific nation is truly and clearly stated form
an official source, they will be updated in due course, but there are people who are regularly checking.

Hopefully answers the why.
Which terminal building - certainly not Nuremberg last night and more importantly they were saying nothing when people were boarding last night without them.

The announcement only came shortly before take off.

There is no excuse for not regularly updating the crew briefs - perhaps they should look out of the window and see what is actually happening.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Which terminal building - certainly not Nuremberg last night and more importantly they were saying nothing when people were boarding last night without them.
The reality is that Germany has a complex and devolved public health system, which in essence means that very few masks are worn in MUC, some in DUS and people are mostly masked in FRA. On Lufthansa masks are required and crew will intervene, for example if a mask slips down during sleep. Clearly masks are on their way out, generally speaking, so it's just a matter of a bit of patience. They may be back again in the autumn. Their country, their rules, we are visitors.
T8191, KARFA, ringingup and 6 others like this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

The announcement only came shortly before take off.

There is no excuse for not regularly updating the crew briefs - perhaps they should look out of the window and see what is actually happening.
Just like on board an aircraft, don’t shoot the messenger!
Old Apr 24, 2022, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
There is no reason why she should have heard of Flyertalk - most people haven't - and there is no reason for her to accept anything that is written here any more than she would on any other random website that a passenger might show her.
I didn't say there was!
Silver Fox, LETTERBOY and RichieMc like this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I have to say I'm not a fan of face masks as a general precaution, but on my (unmasked) flight today was a young guy, obviously with heavy cold symptoms, coughing and spluttering and sniffing loudly, making no attempt to catch coughs in anything at all, and resolutely unmasked. A request to the crew to attempt to persuade him to put a mask on at least was dismissed with an "I can't tell him to do that sir.".

Well maybe not, but you can suggest it, perhaps?

Anyway he got a few choice words robustly delivered from me in lieu of a FA suggestion, and similar from the Aussie guy in the row behind, and I masked up.

Absolutely zero consideration for others.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Of course the crew could have suggested he wore a mask, the excuse was a cop out.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: Lufthansa Miles & More, BA Executive Club
Flew from Thessaloniki to London yesterday. Whole thing was a bit weird.
This article says that facemasks must be worn when flying from Greece.
Cabin crew asked passengers to wear masks (when they weren't wearing masks themselves) however didn't mind passengers which didn't wear one properly/at all.

What's the point of asking and mandating masks when you're not actually going to enforce them...
Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:18 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I have to say I'm not a fan of face masks as a general precaution, but on my (unmasked) flight today was a young guy, obviously with heavy cold symptoms, coughing and spluttering and sniffing loudly,
I cough and sniff 9 out of 12 months every year due to a non-infectious chronic condition, so I either had COVID for the last 15 years, or perhaps few coughs and runny nose don't make person a biological weapon.

I'm so glad I live in a sane place where no one goes into a panic mode because of few coughs.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:07 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I have to say I'm not a fan of face masks as a general precaution, but on my (unmasked) flight today was a young guy, obviously with heavy cold symptoms, coughing and spluttering and sniffing loudly, making no attempt to catch coughs in anything at all, and resolutely unmasked. A request to the crew to attempt to persuade him to put a mask on at least was dismissed with an "I can't tell him to do that sir.".

Anyway he got a few choice words robustly delivered from me in lieu of a FA suggestion, and similar from the Aussie guy in the row behind, and I masked up.

It seems for some a return to normal should never happen. It is his choice, respect it.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:59 am
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

I hope he gave you a few choice words back. Mind your own business and if you don’t like it, don’t travel.
LETTERBOY, the810 and skipness1E like this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:31 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
The person didn’t have to wear a mask but they should of at least used a tissue to catch the sneeze and cover their mouth when coughing. That’s just common sense. Not doing so is rude and inconsiderate towards your fellow human. If you can’t do the basics (without a valid reason) then they shouldn’t be travelling and infecting others with their germs.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:37 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by JackDann
I hope he gave you a few choice words back. Mind your own business and if you don’t like it, don’t travel.
And this of course is how rows start. It is obvious from my own and from the observations of others that crew have given up bothering to intervene in mask issues. The whole thing is quite ridiculous when I was in Madrid yesterday I did not have to wear a mask until I got on the aircraft. As the flight left from terminal 4S we had to take the shuttle train. It was absolutely packed. I hate wearing masks but I made sure one was on me. On board, the person across the aisle from me never wore a mask at all and was never asked to do so by the crew. Just had confirmation I did ask Inflight Manager and he said that we had to wear masks. In the same breath he looked at the man across the aisle and did nothing about it.
16 minutes later, out came the bar cart and no one wore masks at all as they were served drinks. The whole thing is nonsense and should be customer choice only.
skipness1E and RockyRobin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.