Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Money Card USD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
but would still incur US ATM bank fees as would Santander Zero (not when used at the few Santander US ATM though).
Just googled this, didn‘t know this was as widespread a practice as it actually is. Thanks for highlighting!
Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Just googled this, didn‘t know this was as widespread a practice as it actually is. Thanks for highlighting!
no problem, Greece and Spain are the same, as are many other countries (atm charges for non customers). In the UK ATM charges are virtually unknown, it used to be those ATM near corner shops and similar, but since widespread branch closures, even those looks to have struck agreements with UK banks for fee free usage
Old Mar 18, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: Titanium at Marriott & Platinum at American (both Lifetime) + various others
On the slightly broader question of non-cash spending in the USA, how does the Chase UK option compare with the (formerly) MBNA Horizon cards? As far as I can see, both have zero FX surcharges and offer cashback. So it feels like they are much of a muchness. Am I missing anything?
Old Mar 18, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by MisterE
On the slightly broader question of non-cash spending in the USA, how does the Chase UK option compare with the (formerly) MBNA Horizon cards? As far as I can see, both have zero FX surcharges and offer cashback. So it feels like they are much of a muchness. Am I missing anything?
cashback on Chase UK is 1% for the first 12 months, which is therefore better then the 0.5% cashback on horizon (I also have one). More importantly, in my experience, the MasterCard exchange rate is also better than the Visa one, and this was every time I checked across various currencies (Euro, Dollar, and some minor others )
Old Mar 19, 2022, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
After a bit of research, you can go to these 3 places to get an instant travel card:

Post Office (crap rates)
Travelex (so-so rates)
TUI (great rates)

These places will be able to issue you a travel card, then and there. I managed to get Travelex to match TUI's rate - after much haggling. The Travelex was far more convenient to get to for me.

I am waiting for Chase to approve my application - it's quite slow.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by RJD1983

that is a shame. Mine was immediate, albeit during the pilot when there was no advertisement and you had to first show an interest registering for updates and then you received an email with a direct link to apply. Hopefully you can get it whilst you are there. I guess you have already downloaded the app on your phone so if they approve you once you are there, you can add the virtual card to your e-wallet and use it straight away.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 2:26 am

Starling or monzo is the answer. No fees. Used for contactless entry on the subway in NYC no issues. ATM withdrawals up to £300 equivalent per day.
RJD1983 and MARTINSWIN like this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by i_concur
Starling or monzo is the answer. No fees. Used for contactless entry on the subway in NYC no issues. ATM withdrawals up to £300 equivalent per day.
US banks will apply their ATM fee to those two cards when used to withdraw cash, hence the suggestion to use Chase UK debit card that can use the extensive Chase US ATM network without being charged local ATM fees. In addition you would get 1% cashback for the first year on most spending (home and abroad).
chistery likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 5:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by i_concur
starling is pretty instant and my card came within 48 hours!
Old Apr 1, 2022, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by RJD1983
After a bit of research, you can go to these 3 places to get an instant travel card:

Post Office (crap rates)
Travelex (so-so rates)
TUI (great rates)

These places will be able to issue you a travel card, then and there. I managed to get Travelex to match TUI's rate - after much haggling. The Travelex was far more convenient to get to for me.

how did it go at the end? Worth reporting for others benefit.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
how did it go at the end? Worth reporting for others benefit.
I got a USD Mastercard Travel Card from Travelex then and there. I found it a bit flaky to use in the USA - sometimes it would be declined for no reason. I also found the app very slow, but easy to use. I also didn't like that it didn't work with Google Pay. ☹️

As for Chase, I got approved - finally. It took about 2 weeks for them to approve. I got a phone call from them when I was in the US, they wanted to know some further questions. However, I was driving at the time, so I could only answer 1 or 2 questions, before I said that I can't talk, because I need to concentrate on the driving, can you phone me back? They said yes, no problem, we will phone you back in half an hour. 2 weeks later, I'm still waiting for their phone call! 😂 I'm just waiting on the debit card to come down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.