Travel Money Card USD

Old Mar 16, 2022, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
Travel Money Card USD

Apologies for it being OT.

But, I am looking to buy USD prepaid travel card, but I want to get it then and there. I know Post Office do this, but their exchange rate is ... Any other suggestions?

Flying from Heathrow on Sunday, if it helps - last minute!

Thank you.

Last edited by RJD1983; Mar 16, 2022 at 1:16 pm
Old Mar 16, 2022, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Moneycorp do a card

https://www.moneycorpcard.com

Regards

TBS
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 12:57 pm

Is Revolut an option? It's much more than a prepaid travel card so if you're looking for something very simple for someone else it may be more than you want. But if you're comfortable with a phone app and moving money between currencies then it's definitely a great option for travel spending.
LCY8737, MaxFlyer, RJD1983 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by zkzkz
Is Revolut an option? It's much more than a prepaid travel card so if you're looking for something very simple for someone else it may be more than you want. But if you're comfortable with a phone app and moving money between currencies then it's definitely a great option for travel spending.
I don't have Revolut, and I don't think I will have time, as I will fly out on Sunday. The trip to the USA was last minute!!!!
Old Mar 16, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I know it's too late for this trip, but maybe look at a second current account like Chase? Free withdrawals from Chase ATMs in the USA and no FX fees worldwide, amongst other benefits.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Yes Post Office rates are appalling. If youre worried about forex fees, likely this will be lost on the poor rates of the post office. Id order a Halifax MasterCard for future visits. I used this in Nice last weekend, EUR was around 1.18-1.1875 per 1. Friend was using Revolut and was getting 1.14-1.16. Here for example

RJD1983 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Amex UK Plat
Originally Posted by chistery
I know it's too late for this trip, but maybe look at a second current account like Chase? Free withdrawals from Chase ATMs in the USA and no FX fees worldwide, amongst other benefits.
I'll second this - it's a fully online account and I set mine up within 24 hours. Got a digital card immediately my account was approved and got my physical card through three days later.
As an added bonus I got 1% cashback on all debit card spending for the first year.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by RJD1983
I don't have Revolut, and I don't think I will have time, as I will fly out on Sunday. The trip to the USA was last minute!!!!
They have an option (or did when I used to use them) to have one sent anywhere in the world within 3 business days, or 2 to the UK or US. Could you have one sent to a hotel in the US? The delivery costs (10) and hotel mail acceptance costs may nullify and forex savings I guess.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 5:44 pm

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc
Was about to mention and second that: perfect MasterCard exchange rate with no additional fees, 1% cashback for the first year even on foreign transactions, and big plus in USA where most ATM charges a fee for non customer withdrawal, it can be use fee free at Chase USA ATM. I have just returned from a week in LA and the Chase UK card was brilliant. Got a nice chunk of cashback on the hotel stays, dining out and general shopping.

In terms of timeline/speed, i would open it anyway (download the app and apply within the app), as it will give you an immediate virtual card that you can add to Apple Pay (and I guess the other e-wallet equivalents), which in turn means you can use it for shopping getting cashback (I believe all the places I have been had contactless/Apple Pay functionality). Plus, if you do get the physical card by Saturday, you then can use it for ATM cash withdrawals too.

Last edited by marcopizzaiuolo; Mar 18, 2022 at 4:05 am
Old Mar 17, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by RJD1983
With Revolut you can do contactless using the google or apple pay apps. You don't even need to have the card if that's another option. Its free to sign up for to see if it will work for you.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Whilst Revolt has been mentioned.
I've got a couple of US hotel stays coming up that will be paid in US$ on arrival or checking out.
Does Revolut require funds to be loaded, or will it work straight from my bank? Just wonder because if thr hotel cost say $100, how am I supposed to know the total cost with fees etc. (and they might take a $50-$300 security deposit as well, or I use room service).
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by xenole
Whilst Revolt has been mentioned.
I've got a couple of US hotel stays coming up that will be paid in US$ on arrival or checking out.
Does Revolut require funds to be loaded, or will it work straight from my bank? Just wonder because if thr hotel cost say $100, how am I supposed to know the total cost with fees etc. (and they might take a $50-$300 security deposit as well, or I use room service).
As far as I'm aware you will need to have funds on your card. It doesn't need to be in Dollars though, it could be Sterling or Euros or any other currency. In this case Revolut will take payments first from the dollar account then from any other currency you have money usually starting with any one that has enough to cover what's to be paid. All will be converted at the market rate at that moment (at weekends the rate is slightly lower to cover any negative drops in the rates to cover Revolut's costs)
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:50 am

Wait, is the free withdrawal from Chase in america an actual thing?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by MiraculousM
Wait, is the free withdrawal from Chase in america an actual thing?
It's the UK card they are talking about. It does say no fees from us but you could still get charged from the ATM owners.

Please note that some local and international ATM operators may charge their own withdrawal fees.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
It's free for Chase UK customers to make withdrawals from Chase US ATMs.
RJD1983 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.