Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA/JAL Tokyo route

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2022, 1:15 am
Original Poster

BA/JAL Tokyo route

Just noticed that last night’s BA/JAL LHR to Tokyo flight is flying over North America and not Scandinavia and Russia. JL44 shows a flight time of just under 15hrs rather than the usual 11 hours 30 or so. For info for those travelling to Tokyo soon. A longer flight but a sensible routing!

Last edited by Door5L; Mar 6, 2022 at 1:28 am
Old Mar 6, 2022, 2:15 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Interesting. I believe JAL aren’t flying with the BA codes currently, as Japan hasn’t banned Russian aircraft and vice versa. JALs current diversions are a voluntary decision by the airline as I understand it. I hope if sanctions become protracted BA restarts Tokyo on this route.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 3:42 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
the route does look crazy! though still not as long (in time) as i thought it would be at 14:50

https://onemileatatime.com/news/japa...-route-london/
jky345 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 4:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Door5L
A longer flight but a sensible routing!
I know what you mean but....

I wish the world's politicians, starting with that chap in Russia, could stop acting like 5 year olds throwing around toys and focus on real problems. Like slowing climate change and not prolonging flights so they burn even more fuel.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 5:17 am

polar route

In 70's BA used to fly the Alaska-route to South Africa on a B707 weekly.
The polar route from LHR to Johannesburg, with stopover at Anchorage, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Colombo, Seychelles and JNB and back the same route.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes I remember that route when it moved to the B747.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 5:39 am

I flew from Seychelles to Hong Kong and back several times always on B707 during 1978-82.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Off topic as regards BA/JL but, NH will be using the southern route when they resume direct flights.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:00 pm

I wonder how long this will last. We are booked to go to Tokyo in August and wouldn't mind the extra flight time as we are in J however due to the increased costs I wonder if airlines with add some form of extra cost if they can? This is obviously a moot point if they do not open the borders to tourists by then!
Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
It’s just really additional fuel and maybe crew. I don’t know JAL ops but were this BA it’d go from 3 flight deck crew to 4. So, yeah maybe additional cost but demand to get to Japan (and onwards) will still be there I’d think.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by LCY8737
I know what you mean but....

I wish the world's politicians, starting with that chap in Russia, could stop acting like 5 year olds throwing around toys and focus on real problems. Like slowing climate change and not prolonging flights so they burn even more fuel.
Think increased fuel burn is the very least of the world's problems right now. Not firing artillery shells and killing innocent civilians, or firing on nuclear power plants is more pressing to be frank.
eugnk and skipness1E like this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 225SG
I wonder how long this will last. We are booked to go to Tokyo in August and wouldn't mind the extra flight time as we are in J however due to the increased costs I wonder if airlines with add some form of extra cost if they can? This is obviously a moot point if they do not open the borders to tourists by then!
have you been to Japan in August before? I spent 3 weeks there in August 2018 and nearly melted from the extreme humidity and daily heatwaves. I had a good time but air con will be your best friend!
Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by lici
In 70's BA used to fly the Alaska-route to South Africa on a B707 weekly.
The polar route from LHR to Johannesburg, with stopover at Anchorage, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Colombo, Seychelles and JNB and back the same route.
I'm guessing that'll be the BA5 on the solari board in this thread Narita Past and Present
Old Mar 7, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
I'd be more than happy flying JAL for 16 hours in F, just a shame I don't think I'd stand a chance entering Japan at the moment.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 12:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Think increased fuel burn is the very least of the world's problems right now. Not firing artillery shells and killing innocent civilians, or firing on nuclear power plants is more pressing to be frank.
Sadly you are right. However my point was that the world has enough problems as it is, and someone starting an unnecessary war is not a helpful move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.