FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA/JAL Tokyo route (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2070903-ba-jal-tokyo-route.html)

Door5L Mar 6, 2022 1:15 am

BA/JAL Tokyo route

Just noticed that last night’s BA/JAL LHR to Tokyo flight is flying over North America and not Scandinavia and Russia. JL44 shows a flight time of just under 15hrs rather than the usual 11 hours 30 or so. For info for those travelling to Tokyo soon. A longer flight but a sensible routing!

lcylocal Mar 6, 2022 2:15 am

Interesting. I believe JAL aren’t flying with the BA codes currently, as Japan hasn’t banned Russian aircraft and vice versa. JALs current diversions are a voluntary decision by the airline as I understand it. I hope if sanctions become protracted BA restarts Tokyo on this route.

VSLover Mar 6, 2022 3:42 am

the route does look crazy! though still not as long (in time) as i thought it would be at 14:50

https://onemileatatime.com/news/japa...-route-london/

LCY8737 Mar 6, 2022 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Door5L (Post 34048935)
A longer flight but a sensible routing!

I know what you mean but....

I wish the world's politicians, starting with that chap in Russia, could stop acting like 5 year olds throwing around toys and focus on real problems. Like slowing climate change and not prolonging flights so they burn even more fuel.

lici Mar 7, 2022 5:17 am

polar route

In 70's BA used to fly the Alaska-route to South Africa on a B707 weekly.
The polar route from LHR to Johannesburg, with stopover at Anchorage, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Colombo, Seychelles and JNB and back the same route.

Can I help you Mar 7, 2022 5:28 am

Yes I remember that route when it moved to the B747.

lici Mar 7, 2022 5:39 am

I flew from Seychelles to Hong Kong and back several times always on B707 during 1978-82.

TedToToe Mar 7, 2022 5:44 am

Off topic as regards BA/JL but, NH will be using the southern route when they resume direct flights.

225SG Mar 7, 2022 12:00 pm

I wonder how long this will last. We are booked to go to Tokyo in August and wouldn't mind the extra flight time as we are in J however due to the increased costs I wonder if airlines with add some form of extra cost if they can? This is obviously a moot point if they do not open the borders to tourists by then!

IAMORGAN Mar 7, 2022 12:52 pm

It’s just really additional fuel and maybe crew. I don’t know JAL ops but were this BA it’d go from 3 flight deck crew to 4. So, yeah maybe additional cost but demand to get to Japan (and onwards) will still be there I’d think.

BlueThroughCrimp Mar 7, 2022 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by LCY8737 (Post 34049126)
I know what you mean but....

I wish the world's politicians, starting with that chap in Russia, could stop acting like 5 year olds throwing around toys and focus on real problems. Like slowing climate change and not prolonging flights so they burn even more fuel.

Think increased fuel burn is the very least of the world's problems right now. Not firing artillery shells and killing innocent civilians, or firing on nuclear power plants is more pressing to be frank.

Door5L Mar 7, 2022 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by 225SG (Post 34055485)
I wonder how long this will last. We are booked to go to Tokyo in August and wouldn't mind the extra flight time as we are in J however due to the increased costs I wonder if airlines with add some form of extra cost if they can? This is obviously a moot point if they do not open the borders to tourists by then!

have you been to Japan in August before? I spent 3 weeks there in August 2018 and nearly melted from the extreme humidity and daily heatwaves. I had a good time but air con will be your best friend!

mrdini Mar 7, 2022 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by lici (Post 34054393)
In 70's BA used to fly the Alaska-route to South Africa on a B707 weekly.
The polar route from LHR to Johannesburg, with stopover at Anchorage, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Colombo, Seychelles and JNB and back the same route.

I'm guessing that'll be the BA5 on the solari board in this thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japa...t-present.html

Howard Long Mar 7, 2022 4:46 pm

I'd be more than happy flying JAL for 16 hours in F, just a shame I don't think I'd stand a chance entering Japan at the moment.

LCY8737 Mar 8, 2022 12:48 am

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp (Post 34055840)
Think increased fuel burn is the very least of the world's problems right now. Not firing artillery shells and killing innocent civilians, or firing on nuclear power plants is more pressing to be frank.

Sadly you are right. However my point was that the world has enough problems as it is, and someone starting an unnecessary war is not a helpful move.