Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska lounge access on a BA reward ticket

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2022, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS Life Time Gold, BA Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Alaska lounge access on a BA reward ticket

I am flying tomorrow on a BA reward ticket on Alaska and I am BA silver (One World Sapphire).

Does this get me access to the Alaska lounge in Seattle.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by manymanymiles
I am flying tomorrow on a BA reward ticket on Alaska and I am BA silver (One World Sapphire).

Does this get me access to the Alaska lounge in Seattle.
Yes. You are oneworld Sapphire which means you have lounge access on Alaska Airlines, no matter which class of travel you're flying. It also makes no difference whether it's paid or award travel.

Have fun - the North Satellite lounge is the new one and the one you should visit (I was there last month!)
Old Mar 1, 2022, 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Yes. You are oneworld Sapphire which means you have lounge access on Alaska Airlines, no matter which class of travel you're flying. It also makes no difference whether it's paid or award travel.
Is that the case? The Alaska Airlines website says this about lounge access (my bold):
Emerald and Sapphire members earned through Alaska or American Airlines are eligible for complimentary lounge access when they travel on an itinerary to Mexico City, Central America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia or Australia.
I'll be travelling on Alaska Airlines between LAX and SLC in May, on an Avios redemption, and I had assumed that I would not be entitled to lounge access. Hopefully someone can tell me I'm mistaken.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 12:53 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Misco60
Hopefully someone can tell me I'm mistaken.
I'm delighted to be able to advise you that you're mistaken .

That paragraph is an exception to the usual requirement for North American status holders to buy annual lounge access passes, given even a "short haul" F ticket doesn't qualify. The requirement for an international segment for those people is in line with oneworld rules (and indeed those in other alliances as well).

Status holders from outside the US have no such restrictions and can enter on any itinerary as per oneworld rules.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I'm delighted to be able to advise you that you're mistaken .

That paragraph is an exception to the usual requirement for North American status holders to buy annual lounge access passes, given even a "short haul" F ticket doesn't qualify. The requirement for an international segment for those people is in line with oneworld rules (and indeed those in other alliances as well).

Status holders from outside the US have no such restrictions and can enter on any itinerary as per oneworld rules.
Thank you! I think I understand - I was reading that paragraph as a definitive description of who is eligible for lounge access whereas it is in fact, as you say, an exception clause for AA and AS status holders.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 12:59 pm

given even a "short haul" F ticket doesn't qualify.
Everything you say is correct apart from the above.

Buying a short-haul First Class ticket on Alaska does entitle you to Alaska Airlines lounge access in Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York - JFK, Portland, or Anchorage. Basically, their own lounges.

You are correct for virtually every other US airline (Hawaiian also has lounges for their inter-island F customers).
NWIFlyer and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 1:02 pm
Community Director

Everything you say is correct apart from the above.

Buying a short-haul First Class ticket on Alaska does entitle you to Alaska Airlines lounge access in Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York - JFK, Portland, or Anchorage. Basically, their own lounges.

You are correct for virtually every other US airline (Hawaiian also has lounges for their inter-island F customers).
Yes, thank you - AS are the exception to the exception in a limited number of locations.
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 1:03 pm

The rules on lounge access in north America are frustratingly inconsistent. (Or, perhaps, consistent but unfathomably complex.)
Old Mar 1, 2022, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Misco60
The rules on lounge access in north America are frustratingly inconsistent. (Or, perhaps, consistent but unfathomably complex.)
It's actually pretty easy. As a frequent flyer with status on an airline based outside the US, you have access under the same terms as you do at home. Therefore, if you're a BA frequent flyer at Silver or Gold level, you have access to all the business class lounges on any itinerary within North America.

Gold additionally have access to the AA Flagship Lounges and any First Class lounges that may be in North America, again on any itinerary, no restrictions.
Misco60 and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 1:15 pm
Community Director

Gold additionally have access to the AA Flagship Lounges and any First Class lounges that may be in North America, again on any itinerary, no restrictions.
And additionally oneworld Sapphire (BA Silver) have access to Flagship Lounges. There aren't that many, of course, relative to Admirals Clubs, and it remains to be seen what the arrangement will be at JFK when the terminal share takes effect.

But generally it's pretty straightforward if your status is with a non-US programme - just carry on as you normally would, and if someone offers you something a bit nicer that you didn't know you were entitled to, just take it!
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
I had access not long after they joined OW on a BA reward ticket. I found them to be charming but obviously it was unfamiliar and I helped them look up the rules. By now should be easier.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 1:21 pm

And additionally oneworld Sapphire (BA Silver) have access to Flagship Lounges.
Keeping me honest! I should have remembered that, as that is how I used to get in!

Originally Posted by rather_be_on_a_griffin
I had access not long after they joined OW on a BA reward ticket. I found them to be charming but obviously it was unfamiliar and I helped them look up the rules. By now should be easier.
They're good people at Alaska Airlines, I've found. I really enjoy flying with them (and will again next month to Hawaii!)
efincomputer and SavvyTravel like this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:05 pm

There are multiple reports of AS lounge agents denying lounge access on economy tickets to non-AA/AS OWS/OWE, just politely remind them in this case that you are permitted and have the AS webpage with the info to hand.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ai...cies-and-rules (listed under the FAQs section lower down on the page, it's the 4th question there)

If they still don't budge, then ensure you email AS Customer Relations. Even though it's been almost a year since AS joined OW, the memo hasn't yet reached all the staff (or if it has, they just aren't aware of the rules properly!). Hopefully as more of us non-AA/AS OW status holders visit the USA and use them more, the more used to it they'll be! AA is a pretty well-oiled machine with this now, promptly granting access with a quick "Are you Sapphire or Emerald?" question each time! Shame AA's systems still don't just pull this info up automatically despite it being coded into the boarding pass itself!

Happy travels. Hopefully you won't have any long waiting lists that AS lounges have been known to have!
Old Mar 2, 2022, 1:44 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AirbusA350
There are multiple reports of AS lounge agents denying lounge access on economy tickets to non-AA/AS OWS/OWE, just politely remind them in this case that you are permitted and have the AS webpage with the info to hand.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ai...cies-and-rules (listed under the FAQs section lower down on the page, it's the 4th question there)

If they still don't budge, then ensure you email AS Customer Relations. Even though it's been almost a year since AS joined OW, the memo hasn't yet reached all the staff (or if it has, they just aren't aware of the rules properly!). Hopefully as more of us non-AA/AS OW status holders visit the USA and use them more, the more used to it they'll be! AA is a pretty well-oiled machine with this now, promptly granting access with a quick "Are you Sapphire or Emerald?" question each time! Shame AA's systems still don't just pull this info up automatically despite it being coded into the boarding pass itself!

Happy travels. Hopefully you won't have any long waiting lists that AS lounges have been known to have!
Gratefully, I had no issues with the Alaska lounge at LAX in November, as a BA silver at that time.
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, several other less interesting cards...
Is it feasible to visit the AS lounge in the north satellite if youre flying BA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.