Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

25 Feb : Russia closes airspace to British aircraft, BA flights affected.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

25 Feb : Russia closes airspace to British aircraft, BA flights affected.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by psusaver
Wouldnt the term 'direct" be more accurate if ANC is a "fueling stop" on the way. Unless I am missing something I thought (semantics) non-stop was a term reserved for wheels up to wheels down happening only once for a destination pair?
I believe 'direct' can involve a stop.
psusaver likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Czechia just closed their airspace as well.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I believe 'direct' can involve a stop.
And plane changes. I was once on an UA flight from HNL-AKL that originated in FRA, and had already stopped at IAD and LAX. I also had a direct flight from ZRH to DEN with a stop and plane change at IAD. The flight numbers remained the same.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dcmike
Czechia just closed their airspace as well.
For anyone picking up this thread, this is not a general "keep everything out of the air" scenario, but rather, closing airspace to Russian airlines.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
Good on them.

A pity that this doesn't appear to have been coordinated at EU level - a ban over the whole of the EU would be a pretty powerful sanction.

It can be circumvented, sure, but will cause a lot of hassle for anything going westbound.
It's interesting. Obviously destinations in Europe are important. But overflights really aren't. EU closing airspace is basically equivalent to the EU just refusing landing flights. Which is a pretty big hit but it's a pain for European citizens as well and it'll be hard to maintain long-term.

Russia can deny overflights though and that's a huge deal for the rest of the world. Even if you don't plan to land in Russia there are a lot of routes where it's worth paying Russia fairly large fees just for overflight rights. Flying around Russia adds a lot of time and expense to routes that don't ever land there. And Russia can do that indefinitely without hurting its own citizens aside from losing the income stream from airlines.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by Cymro
For anyone picking up this thread, this is not a general "keep everything out of the air" scenario, but rather, closing airspace to Russian airlines.
Isnt it a 'closing Russian airspace to BA/British airlines' thread? Regardless, it is probably interesting to most BA flyers as would not be easily discoverable otherwise. FT, and the BA pages in particular, are my first port of call in any flying matter...
Old Feb 25, 2022, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA: ex-Silver, now Blue. VS: Gold
Originally Posted by AussieOzzie
This screenshot taken seconds ago shows a huge counter-clockwise movement of air traffic around Ukraine. Many international flights are still flying through Russian airspace.
Quite a number of those aircraft seen avoiding Russian airspace to the east of Ukraine, which is also closed, are internal Russian flights. MOW-AER loses considerable time going via Kazak airspace.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Originally Posted by greg5
And plane changes. I was once on an UA flight from HNL-AKL that originated in FRA, and had already stopped at IAD and LAX. I also had a direct flight from ZRH to DEN with a stop and plane change at IAD. The flight numbers remained the same.
Yes, I had been on a flight like that between DEL-NRT, that had some disembarkation only in BKK. Also, I think it was a medical crew that got down, not regular commercial pax.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by greg5
Yup I did this on (ironically) Aeroflot from Rome to Tokyo via Moscow. The flight was marketed as SU263 throughout but the first leg was an A321 and the final one a 777. I think it did mean that they held the 777 because the 321 arrived late though.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 2:46 am

I notice that todya’s flights from Pakistan are looping around both Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. Have they followed the Russian airspace ban? Flights are looping to avoid them and flying in Kazakh air.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 3:23 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by Greenpen
I notice that todya’s flights from Pakistan are looping around both Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. Have they followed the Russian airspace ban? Flights are looping to avoid them and flying in Kazakh air.
I noticed that too. Not sure whats going on....
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by ANstar
I noticed that too. Not sure whats going on....

The routing also has to consider oxygen and engine failure driftdown requirements with regards to the terrain. On top of that there are certain areas we do not flyover for other reasons and hence the routing you see. No Russian FIRs are entered.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Sigwx
The routing also has to consider oxygen and engine failure driftdown requirements with regards to the terrain.
I watch aircraft but am a long way from being any sort of expert! What are oxygen and engine failure downdrift requirements?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
What are oxygen and engine failure downdrift requirements?
If there is a depressurisation, then crew and passengers have to go on to supplemental oxygen until the aircraft can descend to a safe altitude at which supplemental oxygen is no longer required, but there can only be a limited supply on board.

If there is an engine failure, the aircraft may not be able to maintain its altitude and will have to descend because of the reduction in engine power.

If there is high terrain, then either kind of emergency would leave the aircraft in a dangerous position. The supplemental oxygen might run out if the aircraft cannot descend soon enough, or the aircraft may not be able to stay safely away from the terrain with the remaining operating engine(s). So route planning must take this into account.

One of the more high-profile planning exercises was undertaken by Qantas, when it was interested in using the L888 airway over the Tibetan plateau. Some randomly-found stuff here about it, including discussion about these requirements and about the need to plan escape routes off the airway in an emergency to allow the aircraft to descend as required:
Greenpen and alex67500 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.