Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are BA doing well?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I have just listened to the official podcast "BA The Check in". I liked it and it gave me a warm feeling.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA (Plat), QR (OWE), BAEC (Silver), AY (Gold), HH (Diamond)
Originally Posted by ermis177
Sorry i am not trying to be smart here but it looks like you have not used BA for a while. You need to ring BA to cancel a redemption ticket....
You're right. I mispoke, and was referring to applying for a FTV. Which I've then had to call to get sorted, as it happens wrong. Was trying to look at MMB just now to validate, but true to form that function of BA is not working.... I might have to give up on this one 😉
Old Feb 25, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
OP has posed a pretty tough question !

I’ll give it a shot.
Of the things that BA are ‘doing well’, there are some I find very appealing ; and there are many others which leave me mourning the extent to which BA has become a pale sad shadow of the airline I once knew.
  • offering a VERY useful FF programme, plus generous status extensions
  • responding with flexibility to the pandemic, by way of cancel / rebook options
  • running a call centre where the percentage of consultants who try their very best to resolve customer requests and queries vastly outnumber those who make no such effort

but, but …… BA are also ‘doing well’ many things which in truth should be handled very differently ….. and several promptly spring to mind :
  • over-promising whilst under-delivering
  • consistently choosing mediocrity over quality
  • rapidly implementing ‘enhancements’ versus glacial-pace delivery of genuine improvements
  • churning out meaningless - and, at times, insulting - #sorrynotsorry letters
  • appointing a series of CEO’s* who understand the price of everything but the value of nothing *(jury still out, for just a little longer, on current incumbent)
  • being slow at expanding website self-manage options and even deliberately disabling previously-existing functionality
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by subject2load; Feb 25, 2022 at 10:57 am Reason: spelling
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:15 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
People fly ba as it has more direct flights from the U.K. than anyone else. It also has decent brand awareness.

if you want to go to Spain you could look on Iberia. It you won’t. You will look at ba.

The same applies in for short haul with easyJet. Frankly they have newer planes, nicer staff and a decent buy on board snack bar.

Business class is adequate. The Heathrow lounges mostly nice and the fares ( pre Covid ) we’re reasonable in business.

I have status ( bronze woo hoo) but have previously Been gold. Even then I fly with whosever is cheapest and goes where I want to go. I love emirates.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:02 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The BA Executive Club is actually pretty good and relatively generous if the sweet spots around status and redemptions are relevant to you
The First Wing in T5 is usually quite a pleasant experience
Some staff can be amazing, though it seems a lot less common than when I started flying heavily 20 years ago (understandably given how BA treats them)
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:10 pm

It appears BA's IT has crashed again
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
To answer the question directly... tonight... not
much!
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
IT. BA do IT really, really well, like world leading, always working, wonderful capabilities, the whole picture. Complete the podium with tea-less afternoon tea and bacon-less full English breakfast.

In short, ask us again in a few months when/if they have cleaned up their act at least a little, because now the question feels as hard to answer as "what is wrong with Usain Bolt's running technique?"
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Le Club Accor (Platinum)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The BA Executive Club is actually pretty good and relatively generous if the sweet spots around status and redemptions are relevant to you
Some staff can be amazing, though it seems a lot less common than when I started flying heavily 20 years ago (understandably given how BA treats them)
I agree absolutely with all of this. They are basically the factors that mean that BA still gets most of my business.

I often wonder what will happen to BA when the bean counters are eventually allowed to take an axe to the Executive Club. I suspect it will not be pretty.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 4:24 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by jeremyBA
People fly ba as it has more direct flights from the U.K. than anyone else.
I don't think that's true. Surely EasyJet and Ryanair have more flights?
SxMan likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 5:46 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I'll certainly agree on the status point, in that I have a realistic shot of hitting gold purely through self funded leisure travel this year. Never thought I'd actually get that chance again and would be a perennial silver-scraper.

However to offer a succinct counter argument.... why?
Old Feb 26, 2022, 1:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'm sure that this thread will bring comfort to the tens of thousands of people who have had flights cancelled and holidays ruined today, as well as those who are still waiting for their luggage from last week's problems.

It doesn't matter that BA gets some things right when its entire operation is such a shambles and brings such misery to its customers.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 4:14 am

My 2 pence (not adjusted for inflation).

What BA does well:
  • The staff - on board, on the ground and on the phone (well, in the UK). They try under what are some pretty dire circumstances.
  • Safety - when I hear a BA captain's voice on the PA, I feel safe...even if they say this plane is about to crash so it might get a bit bumpy.
  • Tier points - I'm not a fan of earning status without having butts in seats. Heresy, I know.
However, I don't think BA's goal is really to do "well." I believe they strive for "adequate."
BA is never absolutely top-notch at anything (even what they excel at).
And, it is also the case that BA is never absolutely the worst at anything they do.

Even the current IT issues...haven't we seen similar or worse on other carriers?
By all means, call BA out on it, but just remember the staff are real people.

You know what you're getting yourself into with BA, and for many, that's just fine.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by The_Diamond_Z
However, I don't think BA's goal is really to do "well." I believe they strive for "adequate."
At the end of the day, BA is a private company and like all private companies (apart from some specific cases), their goal is to make as much profit as possible.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 4:27 am

Judging by today, BA also do one other thing well. Helping to green the planet by keeping their planes firmly on the ground.

I feel sorry for the thousands affected by today’s IT outage. I’m hoping it’s fixed in time for my Monday flight.
SxMan and Mekko like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.