FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2069881-barclaycard-avios-avios-plus-credit-cards.html)

rum Mar 17, 2022 8:27 am

Originally Posted by bakera (Post 34083317)
Not in my experience. The new cards I have applied for in recent years (the most recent being HSBC Premier two years ago) have been able to be used online and on ApplePay before I even received the PIN.

Exactly. That's the normal way (debit / credit) cards are supposed to work in the 21st century. Barclays are yet to enter the 20th, but are gradually making progress :rolleyes:

Mind you, HSBC had other (major) issues. Like responding to a dispute, Section 75 or clawback claims :eek: :mad:

EDIflyer Mar 17, 2022 8:36 am

Originally Posted by ayrshiredude (Post 34083173)
Well I have to say, for me, the signup processess was perfect, no issues. Card arrived today and in perfect condition. All set up and have made an order via Amazon. However I can't seemt o set up to use Contactless via my phone. Trying to activate it says its not avaliable. I make pretty much all my card payments using Google Pay so this is a major inconvenience to me. Also won't let me claim the free Apple TV/Music service so guess I will need to call them.

I'd be interested if you get those services working - I don't think there's been any reported success for them so far!

rum Mar 17, 2022 9:52 am

Some good news and progress at long last!
Managed to add the card to PayPal which is working fine now. Will try some other retailers that I use often, so here goes.
I managed this without further input from Barclays so that's looking promising.

CrazyLilBlondie Mar 17, 2022 10:09 am

Originally Posted by AJA_ (Post 34082662)
Barclays' reputation must have taken a knock as a result. I'm tempted to complain as a shareholder since the share price has fallen significantly over the last 4 weeks although I suspect that is more likely to be as a result of the dreadful events in Ukraine.

Lets not talk about share prices... i have lost every single penny ive earnt in the last two years. Im new to this game and heartbroken!

CrazyLilBlondie Mar 17, 2022 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich (Post 34082611)
My first card didn't arrive. Second one did and the phone line says it is activated and managed to get a transaction completed yesterday in person, but unable to register for online services despite over two hours on the phone yesterday.

How long did it take for the second card to come from the first one being cancelled? Currently waiting for my replacement

b1982 Mar 17, 2022 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by FamilyOf6 (Post 34083216)
Glad it worked well for you. Amazon seems to use a different authorisation system to most retailers. I'd be interested to hear if you are able to use it anywhere else online. I've just made a payment on the phone (entering details on keypad) as 3DS window would not pop-up when doing online and thus transaction declined.

3DS is now working.

SouthWesterner Mar 17, 2022 12:30 pm

Things slowly seem to be getting fixed. Just managed to redeem the free Apple TV+ subscription too.

seattle29 Mar 17, 2022 3:21 pm

I can confirm 3DS is now (partly) working. Pop-up saying a notification has been sent to the app - but the app is crap and when you open it, the approval notification disappears. Clicked "authenticate by SMS" instead and got a text message with a 6 digit code within 10 seconds.

binman Mar 18, 2022 1:22 am

My original card arrived and activated in the app but on line transaction did not work. Saw suggestion to do chip and pin transaction which did work! Then changed pin and card working normally. The app authorisation does disappear but the bell symbol on top right hand had red dot and pressing this sorted the problem. Now just waiting for my wife’s card to arrive.

marcopizzaiuolo Mar 18, 2022 3:29 am

Originally Posted by bakera (Post 34083317)
Not in my experience. The new cards I have applied for in recent years (the most recent being HSBC Premier two years ago) have been able to be used online and on ApplePay before I even received the PIN.

never said all the cards, but definitely most cards. I too have the HSBC Premier World Elite but I have had it for good few years and cannot remember what was the policy on it but the website still reports the following “Note: You need to make at least one Chip and Pin/Signature transaction to enable the Contactless functionality on your card”. Barclaycard may always have had this policy too. Santander also do as do many other banks. I think now you do many first time Card Activation via OTP and this may supersedes the need for a chip&pin transaction.

abraxias Mar 18, 2022 3:38 am

My head is getting fried with all these deals :rolleyes:

So £20 a month I can get 25,000 sign up bonus (maybe more if rumours are true), 1.5 Avios per £, and an upgrade voucher. Assuming I aim for £10k spend to get the voucher, that'll earn me at least 40k Avios in the first year and the voucher, but in return I'll have to reduce my Amex Plat spending and lose 10k Amex points. It seems like a bit of a no-brainer, and I'd still book most of my travel via Amex so I'm covered by their insurance. Have I missed anything obvious?

bakera Mar 18, 2022 5:48 am

Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo (Post 34085528)
never said all the cards, but definitely most cards. I too have the HSBC Premier World Elite but I have had it for good few years and cannot remember what was the policy on it but the website still reports the following “Note: You need to make at least one Chip and Pin/Signature transaction to enable the Contactless functionality on your card”. Barclaycard may always have had this policy too. Santander also do as do many other banks. I think now you do many first time Card Activation via OTP and this may supersedes the need for a chip&pin transaction.

I agree that is the case for contactless transactions, but your previous comment said online transactions. There should not be any restriction on online transactions.

marcopizzaiuolo Mar 18, 2022 7:22 am

Originally Posted by bakera (Post 34085723)
I agree that is the case for contactless transactions, but your previous comment said online transactions. There should not be any restriction on online transactions.

because some card full activation for transactions that are not verified happens via the same one off chip and pin transaction. The new OTP /Mobile app authorisation will supersede the need to activate the card for online transactions, but again, from reports here, this may still not have worked properly for this new Barclaycard avios

Bar Operator Mar 18, 2022 7:49 am

I received my Avios Plus Barclaycard this morning, and after online activation I made a contactless purchase (my first purchase on the card ) with no issues . I subsequently tried chip & pin and that has also worked.

MaxFlyer Mar 18, 2022 8:02 am

I'm still waiting for the offer for existing Barclaycard holders that's meant to be coming out soon.

Tim_T Mar 18, 2022 10:46 am

Just got a text

“Thanks for opening your new Avios Plus Barclaycard. We're sorry if you've had problems adding your card to Apple Pay. We're aware of the issue and we'll message you again as soon as you're able to add it. Thanks for bearing with us. Your Barclaycard Team“

thing is, I haven’t opened a new Avios plus Barclaycard! I looked at it and did the initial check, but didn’t follow thru

this, along with all the other reported issues isn’t giving me a warm feeling about actually getting one

EDIflyer Mar 18, 2022 2:06 pm

I got the text and did apply - unfortunately they seem to have the same issue with Google Pay not working but haven't acknowledged that!

Apple subscriptions also still not working despite card being activated.

Oli Venn Mar 18, 2022 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Tim_T (Post 34086527)
Just got a text

“Thanks for opening your new Avios Plus Barclaycard. We're sorry if you've had problems adding your card to Apple Pay. We're aware of the issue and we'll message you again as soon as you're able to add it. Thanks for bearing with us. Your Barclaycard Team“

thing is, I haven’t opened a new Avios plus Barclaycard! I looked at it and did the initial check, but didn’t follow thru

this, along with all the other reported issues isn’t giving me a warm feeling about actually getting one

I got the same text and havent applied. I did a soft search to see if I was eligible but didnt apply

chistery Mar 18, 2022 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by EDIflyer (Post 34087093)
I got the text and did apply - unfortunately they seem to have the same issue with Google Pay not working but haven't acknowledged that!

Have they said they will support Google Pay? Barclaycard like to use their own app on Android.

Tim_T Mar 19, 2022 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Oli Venn (Post 34087290)
I got the same text and havent applied. I did a soft search to see if I was eligible but didnt apply

yep, that’s what I did as well.

EDIflyer Mar 19, 2022 6:29 am

Originally Posted by chistery (Post 34087893)
Have they said they will support Google Pay? Barclaycard like to use their own app on Android.

Oh damn, that'd be annoying. Hopefully once 3DS is sorted it can be added to Curve as don't want the mess of trying to use their app and GPay.

Bar Operator Mar 19, 2022 9:26 am

Paid for council tax online using verification and Barclaycard app to confirm identity, and worked without any issues. I must admit, I wasn’t expecting it to work after reading the comments above.

Tobias-UK Mar 19, 2022 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by EDIflyer (Post 34088399)
Oh damn, that'd be annoying. Hopefully once 3DS is sorted it can be added to Curve as don't want the mess of trying to use their app and GPay.

I added mine to Curve a couple of days ago, might be worth retrying 👍🏻

CrazyLilBlondie Mar 19, 2022 2:10 pm

Received my second card today after the first one got cancelled for not arriving in time. In much better condition and doesnt look like anyone had been snorting a white substance off it! Worked straight away and was able to activate, as well as add to curve and move all my payments from this week back in time to it. Also used it in person at a couple of shops, and changed the pin. Lets hope no more dramas!

let_BAegones_be Mar 19, 2022 2:11 pm

3DS issues

In order to activate 3DS (and PayPal, Curve etc.) you must make a chip&pin transaction first.

Hope this helps.

aviosasw Mar 19, 2022 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer (Post 34086048)
I'm still waiting for the offer for existing Barclaycard holders that's meant to be coming out soon.

I concur, still says I am not eligible to switch to any other cards in my app at the moment

CrazyLilBlondie Mar 19, 2022 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be (Post 34089451)
In order to activate 3DS (and PayPal, Curve etc.) you must make a chip&pin transaction first.

Hope this helps.

Think this must be for the first batch, as mine added to Curve today before i did any chip and pins.

Greenpen Mar 19, 2022 5:02 pm

I don’t understand Apple Pay; why would someone take out their telephone, switch it on, engage with the internet, point it at the pay machine, double click and then repeat because it never works when they can just tap the machine with their card and saunter out munching their sausage roll and dream of the 1.5 Avios?

marcopizzaiuolo Mar 19, 2022 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by aviosasw (Post 34089464)
I concur, still says I am not eligible to switch to any other cards in my app at the moment

mine was like that for a couple of days after launch. The. It offer me just the two avios cards. Now it shows the two avios ones and the Rewards type (forex fee free, 0.25% cashback) - this from the old black Cashback card.

seattle29 Mar 19, 2022 7:55 pm

Well after everything worked yesterday... today the Barclaycard app (Android) doesn't work (no card linked to your account), both contactless and Chip & Pin failed in Tesco, and failed an online transaction (card is declined). Still lots of teething problems :(

ringingup Mar 20, 2022 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Greenpen (Post 34089847)
I don’t understand Apple Pay; why would someone take out their telephone, switch it on, engage with the internet, point it at the pay machine, double click and then repeat because it never works when they can just tap the machine with their card and saunter out munching their sausage roll and dream of the 1.5 Avios?

It always works for me. And it’s a habit I developed when the contactless limits where much lower. And even now, you never need to use your PIN. I’d rather take my phone out then my wallet anyway.

Bar Operator Mar 20, 2022 4:39 am

Well all I need to do is whip out my device and tap the reader….and it always works for me. This device also holds multiple credit cards, store cards, BA boarding passes, vaccination passes, podcasts and music, allows me to send messages and email, call other people and much else besides. In some cases I don’t even bother to carry a bulky wallet with me.

There are downsides to too much convenience, possible addiction and always being contactable but that’s possibly for another forum !

stevebintley Mar 20, 2022 4:42 am

Also if you have an Apple Watch you merely have to hold your wrist to the card reader - even more seamless than using the actual card if it was already in your hand, as you don’t have to hold anything! I really hope the functionality is enabled soon…

Ldnn1 Mar 20, 2022 4:42 am

Excuse my manners, but may I very politely ask your approximate age?

All I can say is Apple Pay is incredibly quick and easy. I don’t even need to take a wallet anywhere with me nowadays, let alone whip a card out of it.

KT550 Mar 20, 2022 5:41 am

The Barclaycard website says (annoyingly) that the only way to manage the Avios earned is via the app , so I downloaded that.

I can't see the Avios earned (I've had a statement issued, so would expect to see something).

Has anybody worked out how to view earned Avios?
Do they transfer automatically to BAEC?

Maybe I'm just a dinosaur.

Thanks for any help.

stevebintley Mar 20, 2022 5:48 am

Originally Posted by KT550 (Post 34090853)
The Barclaycard website says (annoyingly) that the only way to manage the Avios earned is via the app , so I downloaded that.

I can't see the Avios earned (I've had a statement issued, so would expect to see something).

On the home page click the balance at the top of the page, then under the available credit section at the top click "view your Avios"...all details there including progress towards the bonus and upgrade voucher.

billinghamn Mar 20, 2022 5:51 am

Originally Posted by KT550 (Post 34090853)

Do they transfer automatically to BAEC?

Maybe I'm just a dinosaur.

Thanks for any help.

It took me a while to work it out too. In the android app, after you log into the app, click on your cc account listed at the top of the page, then you should see a link close to the top of the page "View your Avios". Cluck on that. if you haven't linked your BAEC account to your card, it gives you the opportunity to do so.

Hope that helps.

EDIflyer Mar 20, 2022 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 34089129)
I added mine to Curve a couple of days ago, might be worth retrying 👍🏻

Thanks - seemed to add on, now to try using it :)

Tim_T Mar 20, 2022 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Bar Operator (Post 34090759)
Well all I need to do is whip out my device and tap the reader….and it always works for me. This device also holds multiple credit cards, store cards, BA boarding passes, vaccination passes, podcasts and music, allows me to send messages and email, call other people and much else besides. In some cases I don’t even bother to carry a bulky wallet with me.

There are downsides to too much convenience, possible addiction and always being contactable but that’s possibly for another forum !

all good until you leave said device in the back of a taxi

ayrshiredude Mar 20, 2022 12:31 pm

Well having now made a few transactions using the card in stores I still can't set up to use the card on my phone. If I try to set it up though Android Pay then I get a message saying the card is not compatible. If I try to set it up by going to contactless payment tab on the Barclasy app it says it is not avaliable. I probably make about 98% of my card payments using my phone so this is not going to work If I canlt use it with my phone. Also how do I get the codes to use the Apple TV/Music offer? It ways they are sent when you are accepted but I haven't had anything.,