FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2069881-barclaycard-avios-avios-plus-credit-cards.html)

Simonp27 Mar 16, 2022 6:07 am

Originally Posted by D404 (Post 34077039)
Got home to find mine, as well, with the envelope looking like it's gone through a shredder.

Also, extremely unprofessional looking envelope with a janky address sticker.

Card is battered and extremely thin and cheap / flimsy.

The papers inside look like a lorry ran them over.

Same with mine.

Simonp27 Mar 16, 2022 6:09 am

Originally Posted by b1982 (Post 34077030)
My card arrived today (approved on 1 March) and, like others, in not so great condition.

I've tried to add it on Apple Pay, and got a message saying that the card is not support. Does this also happen to others? I have contacted via Chat and was told that they have 'raised a ticket with Barclaycard team to confirm' (also that 'it will take long time to resolve').

Same problem for me with Apple Pay.

b1982 Mar 16, 2022 6:19 am

Originally Posted by GuyWMD (Post 34077651)
Same here, tried ordering items from Apple online all declined.

Didn't even get as far as loading the 3D secure. The middle of the page turned white, as if loading then disappeared and went straight to payment failed/card declined.

This is extremely frustrating. Apple Pay and 3D Secure not working means that I can't use this card for the majority of my spends. Was trying to put 500+ pounds of purchase on it and ended up using Amex instead. Just found out today too that the card does not even work on Deliveroo!

KT550 Mar 16, 2022 6:39 am

Received a text yesterday (15 Mar) apologising for the delay in receiving the new card.

I actually received it on the 11th and like others here have been unable to make large on-line purchases.

I wonder how many accounts will be cancelled after people have received the bonus Avios (if they don't give up before).

D404 Mar 16, 2022 6:47 am

Originally Posted by KT550 (Post 34080094)
and like others here have been unable to make large on-line purchases.

Forget large, I couldn't even use it to reserve a table at a restaurant!

Raffles Mar 16, 2022 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Simonp27 (Post 34080039)
Same problem for me with Apple Pay.

It isn't configured with Apple Pay yet. Will take a few more weeks.

EDIflyer Mar 16, 2022 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 34080122)
It isn't configured with Apple Pay yet. Will take a few more weeks.

Any word about Google Pay?

argonath Mar 16, 2022 7:47 am

Originally Posted by D404 (Post 34078171)
"No, you cannot use your card until 6 working days after activating" is practically satire.

It's not like they're encouraging people to spend early with some sort of bonus or anything.

So if you add a typical 2 week delay for the card and 6 days to activate it its basically three weeks ???? WT*

rum Mar 16, 2022 8:43 am

Originally Posted by b1982 (Post 34080053)
This is extremely frustrating. Apple Pay and 3D Secure not working means that I can't use this card for the majority of my spends. Was trying to put 500+ pounds of purchase on it and ended up using Amex instead. Just found out today too that the card does not even work on Deliveroo!

I've been told by Barclaycard CS to use it with a Chip & PIN transaction first and that all online restrictions will be lifted after that. Not sure I believe this, but here goes...

SouthWesterner Mar 16, 2022 8:49 am

Originally Posted by rum (Post 34080366)
I've been told by Barclaycard CS to use it with a Chip & PIN transaction first and that all online restrictions will be lifted after that. Not sure I believe this, but here goes...

Please do let us know how you get on. I'm looking to make some large online transactions but seem unable to use the card for anything worth more than about £10 at the moment!

FamilyOf6 Mar 16, 2022 8:55 am

Packaging: FAIL
Pin change: Success
Chip and Pin: Success
Contactless: Success
Online (3DS): Failure with 2 MULTIPLE retailers, one being Tesco for amounts of £95 and £250.
Online (Amazon): Successfully added to account, no purchases made yet.
Telephone: Success

D404 Mar 16, 2022 9:04 am

This hasn't been true for me.

Further, I am pretty certain of two things here:
  • The CS person you spoke to probably is not discerning between "all online transactions" and specifcally ones which need 3DS.
  • Barclays doesn't give their reps or customers updates on anything until it's too late to be useful.

Aside: I suspect Rob feels a little (a lot) thrown under a bus here, and also may be gagged on speaking about it due to the nature of HFP's relationship here.

yellow_peril Mar 16, 2022 9:26 am

Originally Posted by D404 (Post 34080434)
Aside: I suspect Rob feels a little (a lot) thrown under a bus here, and also may be gagged on speaking about it due to the nature of HFP's relationship here.

I would imagine that all of this feedback and user experience is going to Barclaycard and when there is any good news that they want shared, Head for Points will be one of the key ways of getting this out. I am not applying until there is at least ONE good, smooth experience on here because I don't need this extra stress in my life at the moment, and am happy with current alternatives.

Lynyrd Mar 16, 2022 9:35 am

I can't add mind to Paypal. Annoying.

rum Mar 16, 2022 10:44 am

Originally Posted by SouthWesterner (Post 34080380)
Please do let us know how you get on. I'm looking to make some large online transactions but seem unable to use the card for anything worth more than about £10 at the moment!

Originally Posted by FamilyOf6 (Post 34080404)
Pin change: Success
Chip and Pin: Success
Contactless: Success
Online (3DS): Failure with 2 retailers, one being Tesco for amounts of £95 and £250.
Telephone: TBC

So, chip & PIN worked successfully. I managed to change the PIN to a memorable one yesterday. Haven't tried contactless thus far, but Curve and PayPal are both declined once again. Surprise-surprise.

Originally Posted by D404 (Post 34080434)
This hasn't been true for me.

Further, I am pretty certain of two things here:
  • The CS person you spoke to probably is not discerning between "all online transactions" and specifcally ones which need 3DS.
  • Barclays doesn't give their reps or customers updates on anything until it's too late to be useful.

I think this is a fair assumption - we are far from getting these issues resolved and the silence from the powers that be is deafening...

GuyWMD Mar 16, 2022 10:46 am

Don't believe it in the slightest, complete load of...

rum Mar 16, 2022 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Lynyrd (Post 34080524)
I can't add mind to Paypal. Annoying.

Yup, it's quite a fundamental thing to do when receiving a new card. First PayPal, Curve, eBay and Amazon.

CrazyLilBlondie Mar 16, 2022 10:59 am

Originally Posted by KT550 (Post 34080094)
I wonder how many accounts will be cancelled after people have received the bonus Avios (if they don't give up before).

I will be after this shambles. Or at least downgrading to a free card for purchases where Amex isn't accepted. I'm not fussed about the upgrade but was more keen on the bonus.

rum Mar 16, 2022 11:02 am

Originally Posted by CrazyLilBlondie (Post 34080800)
I will be after this shambles. Or at least downgrading to a free card for purchases where Amex isn't accepted. I'm not fussed about the upgrade but was more keen on the bonus.

Exactly the same here. I won't be paying them £12 a month for the Premier Account either.

CrazyLilBlondie Mar 16, 2022 11:06 am

deleted duplicate

SouthWesterner Mar 16, 2022 11:18 am

Am just on the phone to them about 3DS again. I now get further before the transaction crashes and burns (i.e. the 3DS window actually appears to load properly), and am given an actual error code when it then goes to decline before even attempting to send me a text or app notification. However, the agent doesn't know what that error code means or why I'm seeing a decline as they still don't see the transaction having been submitted on their end.

Curve tell me I can't add it to my portfolio because they're getting a response that indicates I have no funds... (I have plenty of funds, as I can't use the blasted thing to pay for anything!)

rum Mar 16, 2022 11:41 am

Some more info:
I called Barclays (number on back of card), who put me through to Barclaycard, who then put me through to the anti-fraud team. It appears the latter team deals with 3DS verification and so on.
They fed me the 'additional 6 days' before "all online transactions" will work properly and that it is a matter of sitting tight and bearing with them. :mad:

Barclays are (supposedly) a well-established bank in the UK. No wonder Monzo, Starling and Chase are so popular these days.

AleTrail Mar 16, 2022 11:45 am

Yup, multiple issues trying to spend on it yesterday. 3 calls over half an hour each to remove a block on the card.
Barclaycard customer service is truly awful.
Wait until you try using the chat in the App.

Card working today and 25K Avios earned ;-)

FamilyOf6 Mar 16, 2022 11:51 am

Originally Posted by rum (Post 34080931)
Some more info:
I called Barclays (number on back of card), who put me through to Barclaycard, who then put me through to the anti-fraud team. It appears the latter team deals with 3DS verification and so on.
They fed me the 'additional 6 days' before "all online transactions" will work properly and that it is a matter of sitting tight and bearing with them. :mad:

Barclays are (supposedly) a well-established bank in the UK. No wonder Monzo, Starling and Chase are so popular these days.

I'm curious as to whether they have a fix scheduled for 6 days time (perhaps a code drop to configure the new card type) or if it is a standard wait of 6 days from date of activation for each customer/card.

If the former, we are perhaps unlucky early adopters. However, if the latter, it really is pants!

seattle29 Mar 16, 2022 12:17 pm

Absolute rubbish. Online transactions not requiring authentication (e.g. Amazon) are working fine, but anything requiring 3DS authentication is declined. Their systems are clearly not set up yet.

What's ridiculous is I was able to book domestic flights in Myanmar for September (no authentication required, despite it being a high-risk of fraud), but a transaction for a UK retailer for £5 was declined...

rum Mar 16, 2022 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by FamilyOf6 (Post 34080959)
I'm curious as to whether they have a fix scheduled for 6 days time (perhaps a code drop to configure the new card type) or if it is a standard wait of 6 days from date of activation for each customer/card.

If the former, we are perhaps unlucky early adopters. However, if the latter, it really is pants!

Makes you wonder, doesn't it? Either way, it's very poor coming from a financial institution of the size and age of Barclays.

Originally Posted by seattle29 (Post 34081028)
Absolute rubbish. Online transactions not requiring authentication (e.g. Amazon) are working fine, but anything requiring 3DS authentication is declined. Their systems are clearly not set up yet.

What's ridiculous is I was able to book domestic flights in Myanmar for September (no authentication required, despite it being a high-risk of fraud), but a transaction for a UK retailer for £5 was declined...

Yep, had the same experience. I used Amazon as my first transaction with the card and it worked without even a challenge.

ed_flyer Mar 16, 2022 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by ed_flyer (Post 34077913)
Mar 15: Still no card for me, original or new replacement. Just this text message:

“We're very sorry about the delay in receiving your new Avios Barclaycard. It was due to an issue that has now been fixed and your card should be with you imminently. Thanks for bearing with us. Your Barclaycard Team”

I’m not sure I want the card anymore. The few people who have received it are reporting:

activation issues
3D secure not working
unable to make payments against card balance
unable to activate Apple offer
no Apple Pay

The product is clearly not fit for purpose and should be withdrawn by Barclays.

Mar 16: A card has now arrived. I’ve no idea if this is the original card that was allegedly posted on Mar 1 or the replacement ordered on Mar 14 as there is no date on the envelope or literature inside. The envelope was ripped open on 3 sides and the card was loose inside. The silver document wallet inside was also ripped.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...33069e105.jpeg

binman Mar 16, 2022 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by ed_flyer (Post 34081079)
Mar 16: A card has now arrived. I’ve no idea if this is the original card that was allegedly posted on Mar 1 or the replacement ordered on Mar 14 as there is no date on the envelope or literature inside. The envelope was ripped open on 3 sides and the card was loose inside. The silver document wallet inside was also ripped.

Does it work?

I went through he activation process in the app but when I went to use it it was declined

ed_flyer Mar 16, 2022 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by binman (Post 34081104)
Does it work?

I went through he activation process in the app but when I went to use it it was declined

I can’t activate it. Barclaycard confirmed this is the original cancelled card and the new card is due Mar 21 🤷🏼‍♂️

I asked if welcome period can be extended. The lady did not know but said she would contact colleagues and call me back this week.

let_BAegones_be Mar 16, 2022 1:51 pm

New card feedback

I found it relatively easy to activate my card.

At present:
  • ApplePay does not function with this card
  • Majority of online transactions also fail as the Mastercard 3DS authentication also does not work.

woodcocksj Mar 16, 2022 2:44 pm

The experience I have had with Barclays over the last few months with a move to their premier account and again trying to take out this new card has put me off their brand for life. I have already closed the premier account and will be cancelling this credit card too the moment I can finally put a £3k transaction through and get the bonus avios.

Simonp27 Mar 16, 2022 3:23 pm

Card arrived in wrecked envelope.
Tried to spend £16 at the local M and S/BP garage, insert card and pin didn't work, tap didn't work, swiping card and signing eventually worked.
All a bit strange.

Woodbinerich Mar 17, 2022 12:31 am

My first card didn't arrive. Second one did and the phone line says it is activated and managed to get a transaction completed yesterday in person, but unable to register for online services despite over two hours on the phone yesterday.

AJA_ Mar 17, 2022 1:22 am

Reading this thread and the tales of woe and incompetence almost makes me grateful that my holding the old Hilton Barclaycard makes me ineligible to apply or even swap to this new Avios card.:confused:

I am amazed at how much you lot have put up with. I would be writing to the latest CEO of Barclays (whoever that is?) and letting them know my feelings.

This shambolic launch, from website falling over on day one, to ripped and shredded envelopes and cards falling on door mats to inability to activate online services and indeed declined payments, online or otherwise, surely will be used in future in university business case lectures as an example of "how not to launch a credit card"

Barclays' reputation must have taken a knock as a result. I'm tempted to complain as a shareholder since the share price has fallen significantly over the last 4 weeks although I suspect that is more likely to be as a result of the dreadful events in Ukraine.

TheFlyingCyclist Mar 17, 2022 1:28 am

Another problem…. I can’t pay off the card balance. BPE93 error. In addition to it not working with Apple Pay. Grr…

londonba2014 Mar 17, 2022 1:33 am

Originally Posted by ed_flyer (Post 34081079)

Looks similar to how my card turned up, have had nothing but issues with it since applying..

marcopizzaiuolo Mar 17, 2022 1:38 am

I still have my first Barclaycard account from 1999 and have had other accounts overtime, as they did allow multiple cards at various point in the past (at one point I had three, and still have two, the oldest 1999, currently the discontinued Cashback product, and the Hilton card).

The activation of contactless /online transaction via a first chip & Pin transaction is quite common for new cards number for many providers (not when a new card simply replace an expired one) but all those other issues looks to be connected to a new BIN sequence/MasterCard set up (all consumers BarclayCards have been Visa only for few years now, with only the Business Product being a MasterCard.

Having been a Barclays Customer since 1997 (and Premier for several years so already missed the bonus to switch from Blue Rewards to Avios) and Barclaycard from 1999 as stated above, my interactions with both has shown over time that they are run as completely separate businesses under the same ownership (only fairly recently they merged the apps, as they used to be completely separate).

in any case, this is quite a shamble launch from what used to be, and probably still is, the largest Credit Card provider in the UK.

ayrshiredude Mar 17, 2022 7:00 am

Well I have to say, for me, the signup processess was perfect, no issues. Card arrived today and in perfect condition. All set up and have made an order via Amazon. However I can't seemt o set up to use Contactless via my phone. Trying to activate it says its not avaliable. I make pretty much all my card payments using Google Pay so this is a major inconvenience to me. Also won't let me claim the free Apple TV/Music service so guess I will need to call them.

FamilyOf6 Mar 17, 2022 7:19 am

Originally Posted by ayrshiredude (Post 34083173)
Well I have to say, for me, the signup processess was perfect, no issues. Card arrived today and in perfect condition. All set up and have made an order via Amazon. However I can't seemt o set up to use Contactless via my phone. Trying to activate it says its not avaliable. I make pretty much all my card payments using Google Pay so this is a major inconvenience to me. Also won't let me claim the free Apple TV/Music service so guess I will need to call them.

Glad it worked well for you. Amazon seems to use a different authorisation system to most retailers. I'd be interested to hear if you are able to use it anywhere else online. I've just made a payment on the phone (entering details on keypad) as 3DS window would not pop-up when doing online and thus transaction declined.

bakera Mar 17, 2022 7:57 am

Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo (Post 34082693)
The activation of contactless /online transaction via a first chip & Pin transaction is quite common for new cards number for many providers (not when a new card simply replace an expired one) but all those other issues looks to be connected to a new BIN sequence/MasterCard set up (all consumers BarclayCards have been Visa only for few years now, with only the Business Product being a MasterCard.

Not in my experience. The new cards I have applied for in recent years (the most recent being HSBC Premier two years ago) have been able to be used online and on ApplePay before I even received the PIN.