Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Gatwick 777 Refurbishment

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:11 am
Original Poster

BA Gatwick 777 Refurbishment

I’m flying the BA2039 and BA2038 in June 2022. I’m trying to work out if the aircraft, 777, will be refurbished as were flying out of Gatwick and back into Gatwick. I’m not fussed about the aircraft having the brand new refurbishment with club suits, but am hoping the aircraft won’t have the really old BA product with tiny tv screens. I’ve asked BA And they said it’ll be an aircraft that’s not refurbished, but then looking at the seating map for my flight WTP is has 6 rows (rows 10-15) and economy is 10 abreast. Does this mean it is a refurbished aircraft?

also is there a list of aircraft that still have the really old BA procuct?
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hi Sazio , yes, the 10 abreast in economy is an indicator of a refurbished 777 that will have up-to-date IFE.
SxMan likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by Sazio
also is there a list of aircraft that still have the really old BA product?
It's all here
Seating guide: Boeing 777
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks… is there a way of seeing which aircraft I am, whether it’s 77T or 77S etc? Also is there a list of BA’s 777 aircraft that operate out of Gatwick? Just trying to confirm as best I can whether my Orlando flight will have a refurbished aircraft
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:19 am

Thanks… is there a way of seeing which aircraft I am, whether it’s 77T or 77S etc? Also is there a list of BA’s 777 aircraft that operate out of Gatwick? Just trying to confirm as best I can whether my Orlando flight will have a refurbished aircraft
The aircraft flying out of LGW can be found in this thread.
BA Fleet Status
Pilot37 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:25 am

Then, this thread tells you the status of 777s, specifically.
LGW & LHR selected 777s go 10-abreast (3-4-3) in Y 2018 onwards
Pilot37 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks, and one more question, on the seat plan on my booking WTP has 48 seats (rows 10-15) which by the plans looks like 77S, but on my ticket it’s selling class says ‘T’. What’s the difference between 77S and selling class T?
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
AFAIK all the 777s currently based at LGW are of type 77R, 77S or 77T. If WTP is in rows 10-15, it's a 77S. WTP in rows 10-16 is 77T. WTP in rows 21-25 is 77R (because this type also has an F cabin). They have all been converted to 10-abreast in World Traveller, and so they all have the "new" Panasonic IFE.

Looking at https://speedbird.online/fleet.php I can see that long haul flights out of LGW in the past 30 days have been served by G-VIIO,P,T,U & X, and by G-YMMB,C,D & F, which are all either 77S or 77T.

Please note that even though your seat map may show WTP in rows 10-15, this does not guarantee that you will fly on a 77S type aircraft, because equipment may be subject to a last minute change, but you should be confident that it will be a refurbished aircraft.
Sazio likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There are not related in anyway, one is a selling class and the other an aircraft code.
SxMan likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I’m quite confident it’s a 77S in that case, have all of the 77S been refurbished?

and the 77J that are due to be upgraded to 77S, is there a chance (I know aircraft swaps can happen at any time) that as 77S I may actually get a 77J as they’re due to be upgraded to the same type?

im just really hoping for a refurbished aircraft, otherwise it could be a very long flight!!
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:54 am

Thanks, I’m quite confident it’s a 77S in that case, have all of the 77S been refurbished?

and the 77J that are due to be upgraded to 77S, is there a chance (I know aircraft swaps can happen at any time) that as 77S I may actually get a 77J as they’re due to be upgraded to the same type?

im just really hoping for a refurbished aircraft, otherwise it could be a very long flight!!

Every one of the Gatwick 777 fleet has been refurbished. The unrefurbished 77J type only flies out of Heathrow. Whilst it is a possibilty that BA may decide to move some 77J type from Heathrow to Gatwick, I think it extremely unlikely. So I guess it is fortunate that flights to Orlando will be departing out of Gatwick by the time you will be flying.

Please note that as a new member of FlyerTalk you are only allowed five messages (posts) in the first 24 hours of your membership, so make sure use your remaining post wisely!
TedToToe and Sazio like this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
There are only five 772s (all currently based at LHR) which have the Rockwell Collins IFE system with small screens. These are the 77J configuration, which will be refurbished to 77L configuration (with Panasonic IFE and Club Suite) by the end of the year - for continued service at LHR.

All other aircraft have the newer Thales or Panasonic IFE with larger screens.
wheremattgoes, Sazio and Midships like this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Entertainment systems exLGW are excellent now, however the content isn’t great. I’d load a tablet with shows / movies you want to watch regardless of which aircraft you get.
Sazio, Midships and FamilyOf6 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for the responses everyone!! Are all BA 777 aircraft all WIFI equipped as that’s a feature I would also like to try on the flight?
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

From here

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...-underway.html

It looks like all 777s do have wifi installed now.

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.