Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Booking two flights for the same departure time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2022, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond

I already have a BA cash flight booked at 15:25 on the 10 March LHR to XX. However I am considering booking a flight around the same time and date, LHR-YY.

Will BA.com allow me book two flights departing at the same time? My intention is to cancel ONE of the flights for an e-Voucher closer to the date of departure.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by FlyingWelshie
Will BA.com allow me book two flights departing at the same time?
Yes.
FlyingWelshie likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Why not just wait until you have made up your mind ? (unless you intend to make the decision only shortly before travel date).
Old Jan 24, 2022, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Yes, currently I hold 3 bookings for a certain NCL-LHR flight in March, they haven't batted an eyelid.

Chopping and changing holiday plans and some good reward availability is the reason. Obviously I'll cancel two of them.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Why not just wait until you have made up your mind ? (unless you intend to make the decision only shortly before travel date).
The flight I intend to book is currently dirt cheap
ttama likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
For general interest, here's what BA says on duplicate bookings on their trade web site:

Duplicate bookings are more than 1 booking with the same customer name, same flight time and same departure and arrival airports. This applies even if the bookings are made in different booking classes and flight segments.

If one PNR has a ticket number but the other hasn't, the booking without a ticket number will be cancelled.

We also check for duplicate segments within the same PNR but will not cancel a ticketed PNR or a Group booking.

Cancelled segments for duplicate bookings

We will cancel segments if the booking is for Blue Executive Club Members or non Executive Club cardholders if they have:
  • same origin and destination city
  • shorthaul flights (all cabins) with same date but could be a different flight number and/or class
  • longhaul flights in cabins W and M with same date but could be a different flight number and/or class
We will update the PNR for cancelled duplicate segment with SSROTHSZZ CANCELLED AS DUPE. The cancelled segment will automatically move into history for Amadeus bookings or PNR itinerary as HX for other GDS.

Warnings for duplicate bookings

For some bookings, we won't cancel the segment but will send a warning if we think it may be a duplicate.

We will send you a warning for:
  • longhaul flights in cabins W and M with a different date but within 24 hours
  • any of the segments are in F or J cabin
  • customers with Gold and Silver Executive Club Members (and oneworld equivalent)
Old Jan 24, 2022, 6:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Just to note this is for TA booking.

For non TA bookings I am not aware of anyone ever reporting BA cancelling bookings for the same day at the same time (as the OP asks about) or even when booked on the exact same flight on duplicate bookings. I have had that myself a few times for various reasons and nothing happened.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by KARFA
For non TA bookings I am not aware of anyone ever reporting BA cancelling bookings for the same day at the same time (as the OP asks about) or even when booked on the exact same flight on duplicate bookings. I have had that myself a few times for various reasons and nothing happened.
ISTR that once upon a time, we did see BA's policy on duplicate direct bookings. Basically, anything that was ticketed would not be cancelled by BA.

In any case, what the OP wants to do here is not even a duplicate booking. The proposal is to buy a ticket for LHR-AAA and another ticket for LHR-BBB. I can't remember ever seeing anything that suggested that BA would get upset about this. This contrasts with some other airlines; but even in those cases, the customer can book in a way that makes it difficult for the airline to be sure whether they are multiple bookings for the same person, or bookings made for different people.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by pennineuk
For general interest, here's what BA says on duplicate bookings on their trade web site:

Duplicate bookings are more than 1 booking with the same customer name, same flight time and same departure and arrival airports. This applies even if the bookings are made in different booking classes and flight segments.
I could be wrong but my reding is the OP seems to be looking at 2 different destintions. If I am correct then the bookings do not meet the "duplicate booking" criteria
Old Oct 2, 2023, 1:15 pm

Programs: AS 100K
I was wondering about this. In my case, however, it's not the same time of departure, just the same day.

I have a paid business XXX-LHR-DUB with LHR-DUB departing until late evening (8hr LHR connection). I'm considering skipping that one and going to NCE instead 2hrs after landing in LHR (avios award). Will BA notice that I have two BA flights on the same day and cancel one of them...or both?
Old Oct 2, 2023, 1:19 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
that's fine. obviously don't check in for the LHR-DUB flight.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
You usually get checked into the final destination in the US, but being checked in for DUB isn't a problem particularly as long as you don't use the BP in the transit route at Heathrow. Either use the NCE BP if you have it or go landside and back in with it. You'll then miss conformance on the DUB flight and be offloaded. Assumes no checked bags.
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
I was wondering about this. In my case, however, it's not the same time of departure, just the same day.

I have a paid business XXX-LHR-DUB with LHR-DUB departing until late evening (8hr LHR connection). I'm considering skipping that one and going to NCE instead 2hrs after landing in LHR (avios award). Will BA notice that I have two BA flights on the same day and cancel one of them...or both?
They will only cancel if you have two bookings on the same flight. Same day is fine.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 1:56 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by Confus
They will only cancel if you have two bookings on the same flight. Same day is fine.
Originally Posted by bisonrav
You usually get checked into the final destination in the US, but being checked in for DUB isn't a problem particularly as long as you don't use the BP in the transit route at Heathrow. Either use the NCE BP if you have it or go landside and back in with it. You'll then miss conformance on the DUB flight and be offloaded. Assumes no checked bags.
Originally Posted by KARFA
that's fine. obviously don't check in for the LHR-DUB flight.
thanks for the quick replies!

I'll be coming from the US, i'll try to make sure I do not get checked in for LHR-DUb leg.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I doubt you'll be able to stop the DUB checkin and it'll probably cause a conversation on skip lagging if you try. With checked bags there are also some complications as they'll be checked through to Dublin by default.
KARFA and DiamondMile like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.