Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mask wearing - from 27th Jan ‘22

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2022, 6:29 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by nk15
I think the issue is that there are very generally speaking two groups in this conversation, (a) those under 40 who probably already had Covid 1-4 times, and it was mild, and they are over it and just want to live their lives with as few restrictions as possible, and (b) those over 40 who are more at risk and concerned about it (or younger with risk factors) and probably have avoided it so far, or people with bad experiences. (Of course this is a very crude generalization, there are a lot more other separating personality and other characteristics and groups or continuums). And these two groups are talking at each other. But the good thing is that group B governs the world...
Group B are welcome to wear properly fitted N95 or N100 masks. By doing that, Group A doesn't have to do anything special and Group B is still protected.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 6:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I’ve been an obedient mask wearer all through the pandemic. Like lots of other obedient and disobedient people, I absolutely hate wearing them. Whilst they were probably effective with less infectious variants earlier in the pandemic, much of their utility has now gone thanks to viral evolution in the form of Omicron.

Enough is enough now. The disease is well on its way to becoming endemic and I think we all need to lift our spirits and move on. Unless we live in an isolation tank, we are going to meet this virus. It cannot be controlled or curtailed.

I will not be wearing a mask on London transport irrespective of what the mayor says. If he really wanted to stop the spread of covid, he would do something about overcrowding.

I will continue to wear them in airports and on planes (because I am not willing to get into a confrontation with staff or authorities in those settings) BUT as long as I am mandated to do so I will only travel for business. If the travel industry wants my leisure spend back then it needs to move on too.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thatmikereed
Why? The data shows he's right. God forbid airlines make policies based on data.
NOOOOOO! Not my magic virtue signaling totem!!!!!

I think the issue is that there are very generally speaking two groups in this conversation, (a) those under 40 who probably already had Covid 1-4 times, and it was mild, and they are over it and just want to live their lives with as few restrictions as possible, and (b) those over 40 who are more at risk and concerned about it (or younger with risk factors) and probably have avoided it so far, or people with bad experiences. (Of course this is a very crude generalization, there are a lot more other separating personality and other characteristics and groups or continuums). And these two groups are talking at each other. But the good thing is that group B governs the world...
It's over 65's at risk, and new data shows some shockingly high % of "covid deaths" were 65+ with "at least" 4 co-morbidities. It old very sick people want to mask up or stay home, fine. it's time to stop imposing this insane and useless tyranny on the rest of us, Also anyone who has had covid and therefore cannot contract or spread it...what purpose is there to making them mask?
Old Jan 20, 2022, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
Group B are welcome to wear properly fitted N95 or N100 masks. By doing that, Group A doesn't have to do anything special and Group B is still protected.
I will bring your proposal to group B, but I think they may say that this not sufficient or fair and that you have to contribute more and that you may also not fully understand the data...But I think there will be concessions, too...
Old Jan 20, 2022, 6:55 pm

Another popcorn worthy thread brought to you by FlyerTalk!

rb211.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by skipness1E
With England leading the way to COVID being endemic from pandemic according to the WHO, over the summer you'll see mask wearing easing on board. If you want you're old life back, and I REALLY, REALLY do, then the mask wearing virtue signal has to end.
If we don't have to wear then in a cinema, then BA should make them voluntary on board. Feel free to wear proper surgical masks if you like, but we have to move towards the exit on this in the summer. Are cabin crew REALLY gonna get insistent on a LHR-EDI in July?
Going to the cinema and flying are not compulsory parts of day to day living. If you don’t like the rules or conditions of carriage associated with optional activities then dont participate them.

TFL for example have made it a condition of carriage to wear a mask unless you are exempt. BA have said it’s going to be their policy for the foreseeable future to wear them on flights.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 7:39 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
I will bring your proposal to group B, but I think they may say that this not sufficient or fair and that you have to contribute more and that you may also not fully understand the data...
if they’re wearing a properly fitted N95+, at least the volume of the whining will be less.
SamYeager likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 7:40 pm

Programs: BAEC
I just don’t know how anyone can look at, say, the French case figures from the last few days and still say with a straight face that masks, as purchased and worn by the vast majority of people, make a meaningful positive difference to the pandemic curve. Sure, nobody’s stopping someone wearing a well-fitting N95 or better and if the wearer really cares about Covid (and also declines all on-board service) that might help them.

Others are entitled to their opinions but I am really, really struggling to see how anyone could in good faith argue that the evidence in favour of mask-wearing is so strong that they wish to force me, as a triple-vaccinated person, to continue to wear one on a plane until some indefinite time in the future that they feel ‘safe’. I cannot comprehend those who have the nerve to brand those who take a different position as selfish or to cast aspersions on their morality.

I suspect that eventually some governments may have to ban masks as it might be the only way to stop overly risk-averse people imposing their own positions on companies and, by extension, on society as a whole. I would much prefer that people be allowed to reach their own conclusions but this issue has reached the point where the positions are so entrenched that might be the only way to restore freedom.

(the funny thing is that numerous airports got rid of masks last July. Liverpool was a great example - they left it up to passengers and about 20% carried on wearing masks. Another time when the way people behave in real life didn’t reflect opinion polls!)
Old Jan 20, 2022, 8:38 pm

The regulations aren't going to change until the US and EU both decide to remove the requirement. We've seen how fast that happens when the EU tried in 2013 to remove the no-liquids rule 7 years after it was brought in as a temporary measure. The US said no and the EU was forced to give up. In two years this temporary rule will be old enough to vote (In the US that is -- I suppose it's already old enough to vote in some countries with lower voting ages).

I suspect I've flown on my last plane flight without a mask regardless of when the regulations change. I know others who wore masks on planes even before Covid and I always thought it was excessive. But I did routinely get sick after flying and I have to admit I'm liking the idea of being able to travel and not spend the next few days fighting off whatever virus was going around the plane.

It's about time the mods remove at least the flat out falsehoods and misinformation above too.
ringingup, nk15 and Smiley90 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by RB211
Another popcorn worthy thread brought to you by FlyerTalk!

rb211.
So happy I came across this thread on new. Thoroughly enjoyed my good night read!

Now I know how others must feel when they accidentally click on an OMNI/PR thread...
RB211 and Lefly like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 8:57 pm

I'm assuming this will be removed with the other posts but as long as we're here...

What's with the sudden influx of people who all seem to have joined flyertalk around the same time and all have almost exactly the same number of posts -- about 300 -- and are all apparently expert data analysts and the data coincidentally matches their personal opinions? Was Flyertalk published on some rw blog or podcast or something?
Funky Spike and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 9:26 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Im someone thats flying after the 27th and required to still wear a mask. You're delusional if you think masks are coming off and staying off due to this announcement.
Originally Posted by Never Stansted
Who on earth do you think you are?
So suspiciously specific. Post count and internet points mean nothing to me. I'm just stating facts that you dont need a degree in data science to figure out.

by all means please go ahead to board a plane from the UK after the 27th without your mask and post your trip report about being the quickest to catch covid vs those who masked up. Its 2022 and y'all acting covid is over because masks coming off. This thread is funny.
Originally Posted by zkzkz
What's with the sudden influx of people who all seem to have joined flyertalk around the same time and all have almost exactly the same number of posts -- about 300 -- and are all apparently expert data analysts and the data coincidentally matches their personal opinions? Was Flyertalk published on some rw blog or podcast or something?
EuropeanPete likes this.

Last edited by Gertjaars; Jan 20, 2022 at 9:33 pm
Old Jan 20, 2022, 9:39 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
From 2013-17, plane travel gave me the ‘simple cold’ that turned into six weeks of hacking bronchitis cough, a genuine case of influenza, and the sinus infection like an ice pick going through my cheek that appeared on the return flight ( the perfesser got the bug from an obviously sick seatmate on the outbound flight and then passed it in to me) and I apparently looked bad enough that the FA asked if he should find a doctor did me. (Fortunately the perfesser remembered he had the magic German nose spray in his carry on and that got me pain-free across the rest of the Atlantic)

And I’m usually otherwise a healthy sort.

So I’m planning on keeping my N95 for plane travel for a while, even when I’m no longer wearing one on the ground. It’s not virtue-signaling; it’s a desire to avoid another illness picked up in transit.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beachmouse
From 2013-17, plane travel gave me the ‘simple cold’ that turned into six weeks of hacking bronchitis cough, a genuine case of influenza, and the sinus infection like an ice pick going through my cheek that appeared on the return flight ( the perfesser got the bug from an obviously sick seatmate on the outbound flight and then passed it in to me) and I apparently looked bad enough that the FA asked if he should find a doctor did me. (Fortunately the perfesser remembered he had the magic German nose spray in his carry on and that got me pain-free across the rest of the Atlantic)

And I’m usually otherwise a healthy sort.

So I’m planning on keeping my N95 for plane travel for a while, even when I’m no longer wearing one on the ground. It’s not virtue-signaling; it’s a desire to avoid another illness picked up in transit.
Bolding is mine - LOL..... from the rest of your post it sure doesn't seem like it. Life (as in living/interacting around other human beings) comes with risks and inherent facts. I totally understand your position and desire to not want to interact with others in a naked (unmasked) state. Unfortunately for you that's not the way this planet works. So, by all means, keep masking up, stay home or buy an island.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 10:34 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mtofell
Bolding is mine - LOL..... from the rest of your post it sure doesn't seem like it. Life (as in living/interacting around other human beings) comes with risks and inherent facts. I totally understand your position and desire to not want to interact with others in a naked (unmasked) state. Unfortunately for you that's not the way this planet works. So, by all means, keep masking up, stay home or buy an island.
Same time frame I was running half marathons and such for fun and giggles. There are too many active things I want to still do in life that are really negatively impacted by picking up long Covid along the way.

And I’m one of those run so I can eat the really tasty stuff without guilt sorts. The idea of not being able to enjoy the taste of food indefinitely… :shudder:
estnet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.