Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mask wearing - from 27th Jan ‘22

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2022, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Mask wearing - from 27th Jan ‘22

Apologies if I’ve missed a thread on this. Given mask wearing will no longer be mandatory from 27/01/22 in England does anyone know whether this will apply to T5 and how does this affect masks on flights?
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 11:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think this will be like last July when the legal mask mandate was dropped in England - both LHR policy and BA policy (along with every other UK airport and airline) continued to be that you must wear one. I can't see that changing for a while yet I am afraid.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
I read an article a few weeks back about how the airline industry likes to hang on to regulations even though technology and other measures render them unnecessary (liquids limits, shoes off, strip down to your undies if you're Mary Beard, etc etc), the article speculated that masks will remain a permanent feature on aircraft despite the ventilation on an aircraft being vastly superior to that in your average city centre office block.

I hope the author isn't correct but I am inclined to agree with Karfa that they won't be going away any time soon.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
From a lot of UK airlines perspectives it may be easier for now to keep a blanket rule for all flights, as opposed to navigating the differing requirements and jurisdictions of all the countries they fly to and from.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by fluffymitten
I read an article a few weeks back about how the airline industry likes to hang on to regulations even though technology and other measures render them unnecessary (liquids limits, shoes off, strip down to your undies if you're Mary Beard, etc etc), the article speculated that masks will remain a permanent feature on aircraft despite the ventilation on an aircraft being vastly superior to that in your average city centre office block.
The airline industry doesn't want to hang on to any of these things; it's the regulations that stick around.

The masks is currently a massively difficult one because of the varying regulations throughout Europe and beyond, as well as the political and public perceptions around it. But I can tell you that no airline wants mask requirements to stay for long. They are incredibly disruptive and divisive, particularly for ground staff and crew.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by lcylocal
From a lot of UK airlines perspectives it may be easier for now to keep a blanket rule for all flights, as opposed to navigating the differing requirements and jurisdictions of all the countries they fly to and from.
And there is every chance that the UK mask wearing rules will come back anyway.......

Spike
bafan and nk15 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 3:34 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Dont be fooled - Mask Wearing isn't going away anytime soon

You're still going to be required to wear the mask regardless of after Jan 27th.

its here to stay for the foreseeable future. Mask up and don't be selfish.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
You're still going to be required to wear the mask regardless of after Jan 27th.

​​​​​​
Any chance we could stick to the topic and stop virtue signalling?
Old Jan 20, 2022, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
What are you on about, it was very much on topic?
Old Jan 20, 2022, 3:53 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Can I help you
What are you on about, it was very much on topic?
​​​​​​The OP asked a simple question about mask rules after the current legislation ends. Why do we have to get emotive and use phrases like 'mask up and don't be selfish'?
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:06 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Gertjaars

Who on earth do you think you are?
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I imagine an individual speaking their mind, nothing wrong with that in a forum?
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
And of course if you're flying to or from other countries they may have their own mandates in place.

I can't see it changing from where we are today anytime soon. Been wrong a million times before about thousands of things but can't see BA or LHR going all in and scrapping masks at this stage.

Just my opinion....
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Maybe the pandemic ended in the UK by government decree but the rest of the world will keep it for a while longer, so it will likely be masks for anything related to international travel for the foreseeable future...
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
With England leading the way to COVID being endemic from pandemic according to the WHO, over the summer you'll see mask wearing easing on board. If you want you're old life back, and I REALLY, REALLY do, then the mask wearing virtue signal has to end.
If we don't have to wear then in a cinema, then BA should make them voluntary on board. Feel free to wear proper surgical masks if you like, but we have to move towards the exit on this in the summer. Are cabin crew REALLY gonna get insistent on a LHR-EDI in July?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.