Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mask wearing - from 27th Jan ‘22

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by nk15
Maybe the pandemic ended in the UK by government decree but the rest of the world will keep it for a while longer, so it will likely be masks for anything related to international travel for the foreseeable future...
There's a lot of people really enjoying mask wearing as it gives them a sense of moral superiority. "Tee hee hee we're all going to have to wear masks on planes otherwise you're an awful person" is simply irrational. I genuinely think there's a significant % who never want this to end as it's given their life added meaning!
Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by skipness1E
There's a lot of people really enjoying mask wearing as it gives them a sense of moral superiority. "Tee hee hee we're all going to have to wear masks on planes otherwise you're an awful person" is simply irrational. I genuinely think there's a significant % who never want this to end as it's given their life added meaning!
What you say maybe true for a very tiny minority, but not for virtue signaling, but perhaps other reasons, like privacy, fashion, cold, etc. But most people will wear it because they are anxious and for protection. The issue of mask effectiveness has been discussed countless times and the answer is they work, anybody who understands the data agrees, so let's not start on this again. Perhaps the UK has decided on cost-effectiveness grounds no to have masks indoors, but this will add some new Covid cases for sure. As far as international travel goes the issue is broader, and if UK airports and airlines prematurely abandon the measure they will surely lose traffic.

In the end, 99.9% of people do not like wearing masks, but it is safety related.
bafan likes this.

Last edited by nk15; Jan 20, 2022 at 5:18 pm
Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
What you say maybe true for a very tiny minority, but not for virtue signaling, but perhaps other reasons, like privacy, etc. But most people will wear it because they are anxious and for protection. The issue of mask effectiveness has been discussed countless times and the answer is they work, anybody who understands the data agrees, so let's not start on this again. Perhaps the UK has decided on cost-effectiveness grounds no to have masks indoors, but this will add some new Covid cases for sure. As far as international travel goes the issue is broader, and if UK airports and airlines prematurely abandon the measure they will surely lose traffic.
In the end, 99.9% of people do not enjoy masks, but it is safety related.
I'm a data analyst by trade.
I disagree that they're needed.
Omicron is so infectious that almost everyone will be exposed AND be fine, especially if vaccinated. That's what the data tells me. Wearing a face mask on a LHR-MAN/NQY service could and should be optional this summer under English law. I am not suggesting the anxious can't wear one, I am suggesting the rest of us need to step up and get back to normality. And actually there's a vocal subset who want masks on aircraft to be permanent. No thanks!

The fact you're allowed to take them off to eat shows how dangerous things are. If it was really a safety matter, food wouldn't be served now would it? Cos it wouldn't be safe.....
Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skipness1E
I'm a data analyst by trade.
I disagree that they're needed.
Omicron is so infectious that almost everyone will be exposed AND be fine, especially if vaccinated. That's what the data tells me.
God help whatever firm(s) you're doing data analysis for.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
You're still going to be required to wear the mask regardless of after Jan 27th.

its here to stay for the foreseeable future. Mask up and don't be selfish.
People insisting we wear useless totemic items on our faces are the selfish ones. Airline CEO have stated the data shows that masks do not add anything on planes since the HEPA filters get the job done and all the air on the plane is replaced every 2-4 minutes. Beyond that, are we really still going to pretend that a 4 month old soiled surgical mask half on the face does anything but virtue signal? People like you are the problem and why this farce is still ongoing.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 747-800i
People insisting we wear useless totemic items on our faces are the selfish ones. Airline CEO have stated the data shows that masks do not add anything on planes since the HEPA filters get the job done and all the air on the plane is replaced every 2-4 minutes. Beyond that, are we really still going to pretend that a 4 month old soiled surgical mask half on the face does anything but virtue signal? People like you are the problem and why this farce is still ongoing.
People who are wearing 4 month old soiled surgical masks half on their faces are the problem.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by coleslaw
People who are wearing 4 month old soiled surgical masks half on their faces are the problem.
That's 99% of people. Few people wear a properly fitted n95 changed every few hours. Masks are unnecessary, and everyone has already had omicron which is a cold. This needs to end. If you're so scared, STAY HOME by all means. The rest of us want our lives back.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:47 pm

That's 99% of people. Few people wear a properly fitted n95 changed every few hours. Masks are unnecessary, and everyone has already had omicron which is a cold. This needs to end. If you're so scared, STAY HOME by all means. The rest of us want our lives back.
It is not 99% of people.

It seems that you're under the impression that the only two possibilities are that someone wears a properly fitted N95 mask (great!) or wears a 4 month old soiled surgical mask below their nose (not great!).

Being asked to wear a mask over your nose and mouth is not preventing you from living your life. Being dramatic is not helping anyone and is certainly not helping things get back to a pre-COVID normal.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:50 pm
Suspended

It is not 99% of people.

It seems that you're under the impression that the only two possibilities are that someone wears a properly fitted N95 mask (great!) or wears a 4 month old soiled surgical mask below their nose (not great!).

Being asked to wear a mask over your nose and mouth is not preventing you from living your life. Being dramatic is not helping anyone and is certainly not helping things get back to a pre-COVID normal.
Actually it IS preventing me from living my life and it serves no purpose. The same can be said for all of these other farcical restrictions that make absolutely no logical sense. Continuing to abide by these moronic rules is WHY we are not back at pre-COVID normal. If we were to say NO MORE and demand these do nothing restrictions be stripped away we could be back there very quickly. If England says you don't need a mask to stand shoulder to shoulder in a poorly ventilated and packed pub then why logically would you need one when you're on an airplane with high powered HEPA filters that replace all the cabin air every 2-4 minutes? Notwithstanding the data and testing airline CEO's have referenced proving that there's no need for masks on planes...given all of this, explain to me WHY we need masks other than wearing it makes you irrationally feel "safe."
Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The official recommendation around the world is still to avoid Covid for as long as you can...And the travel policy is wear a mask or the pane gets diverted...
Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If England says you don't need a mask to stand shoulder to shoulder in a poorly ventilated and packed pub then why logically would you need one when you're on an airplane with high powered HEPA filters that replace all the cabin air every 2-4 minutes? ."
Nobody knows why England says that, but there will definitely be Covid transmission in those settings...
Old Jan 20, 2022, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Nobody knows why England says that, but there will definitely be Covid transmission in those settings...
I think it's because people finally realized 1. the incidence of bad outcomes with omicron is incredibly low and 2. the restrictions do nothing to stop the spread. People get flu every year also, we just don't track cases, test and fear monger.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 6:06 pm
Suspended

and yet you're wholly unable to refute anything he said (because he's right).
Old Jan 20, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Why? The data shows he's right. God forbid airlines make policies based on data.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the issue is that there are very generally speaking two groups in this conversation, (a) those under 40 who probably already had Covid 1-4 times, and it was mild, and they are over it and just want to live their lives with as few restrictions as possible, and (b) those over 40 who are more at risk and concerned about it (or younger with risk factors) and probably have avoided it so far, or people with bad experiences. (Of course this is a very crude generalization, there are a lot more other separating personality and other characteristics and groups or continuums). And these two groups are talking at each other. But the good thing is that group B governs the world...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.