Wiki Posts
Search

BA and the US 5G Issue

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2022, 3:31 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tosaerba24
Does anybody have any idea how long this 5G issue will last? What are the chances of further disruptions down the line? From the agreement reached yesterday it seems the FAA and the telecom companies have just kicked the can down the road again...
It's all OK now... the FAA seem to have relented and said it's not an issue after all

EK are restarting all services tomorrow.
flyertalker0013223 and SxMan like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 3:37 am

Programs: BA Silver
Slightly off topic but related to the above. I did notice BA flew a 787 to JFK yesterday and also an A350 was mentioned above.

For a route I use a lot, this is exceptionally unusual. Has BA ever not flown a 747/777 to JFK over the past two decades or so?

Also why does JFK seem to have 0 flexibility with airline type? Unlike somewhere like MIA thats literally seen every iteration of long haul BA aircraft down the years.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
For a route I use a lot, this is exceptionally unusual. Has BA ever not flown a 747/777 to JFK over the past two decades or so?
Yes two particularly small types that would fit on Stand 1 at T7, one long and pointy the other short and fat.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
Slightly off topic but related to the above. I did notice BA flew a 787 to JFK yesterday and also an A350 was mentioned above.

Also why does JFK seem to have 0 flexibility with airline type? Unlike somewhere like MIA thats literally seen every iteration of long haul BA aircraft down the years.
Besides the A318 LCY service, the 787-9 had 1 previous visit to JFK. The A350 was used for that special flight for the US reopening back in November as well. The only others that I can think of that would have flown the route would be Concorde and the 767.
ExpatExp and SxMan like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

I think I have seen some photos of dc10s at jfk ( doing the lgw jfk route) close to 2000 but not sure when they retired the dc10s)

Regards

Tbs
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:30 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi

I think I have seen some photos of dc10s at jfk ( doing the lgw jfk route) close to 2000 but not sure when they retired the dc10s)

Regards

Tbs
They inherited 8 from BCal, 5 left in 1999 and the last one in 2001
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:41 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Brisbane Road asked "Has BA ever not flown a 747/777 to JFK over the past two decades or so?" That's not the same question as "Has BA ever flown anything other than a 747/777 to JFK over the past two decades or so?

I would say the answer is never, except for ash-cloud and snow events when nothing flew at all. And full air-space closure, if we go back just over two decades.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 6:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Airprox
short and fat.
You take that back right now! The babybus was not fat!
Old Jan 20, 2022, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by tjcxx
Brisbane Road asked "Has BA ever not flown a 747/777 to JFK over the past two decades or so?" That's not the same question as "Has BA ever flown anything other than a 747/777 to JFK over the past two decades or so?

I would say the answer is never, except for ash-cloud and snow events when nothing flew at all. And full air-space closure, if we go back just over two decades.
I believe you have answered the question correctly. However, what would FT be without posts that don't answer the question, answer a different question or have nothing at all to do with the thread in progress?

rb211.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by alex67500
You take that back right now! The babybus was not fat!
Indeed - just length challenged, which made the girth look somewhat sizeable when compared to her other measurements!

rb211.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 12:07 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by RB211
.However, what would FT be without posts that don't answer the question, answer a different question or have nothing at all to do with the thread in progress?

rb211.
Good question. I believe the answer is 43. Or, maybe 7.
RB211 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:44 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Further to my earlier post #27 above, I have learned of a further mitigation in place outside the US (as well as the different frequencies and power in use): agencies have coordinated such that 5G base stations operating in C band are restricted from operating within a ~2 miles of a CAT II/III instrument approach.
DaveS likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 3:22 am

Programs: M&S Elite+, BAEC Silver
FWIW it is not only aviation and Radio Altimeters that are being hurt by C-band 5G. The big user or C-band in the past have been satellite communications, in particular the satellite to ground links which in the past used 'extended' C-band which runs from 3.4-4.2GHz. That had previously been eroded by WiMax internet links which operate up to 3.8GHz meaning the satellite users were pushed to using above 3.9GHz and some expensive filtering that causes other problems. 5G now makes the satellite services unviable in some places. Unfortunately money speaks and the 5G operators have plenty of that.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
So the solution is to change equipment and move 787's, A350' and A380's to US routes - and move 777's everywhere else.....right
Old Jan 21, 2022, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Sigwx
So for each airline they need their fleets approved for each individual runway in the USA they plan on flying too. That takes time to achieve for runways where these 5g masts are located. The 777 is the most affected fleet at present from my reading of the current notices.
(my bold) Presumably not just planned movements either, but regular diversion alternates too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.